Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Who has the worst accent?

Tags: Accent | English
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which region produces the worst accents?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [8.62%]
12 [20.69%]
34 [58.62%]
4 [6.90%]
3 [5.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 11 12 Next >>
Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4903 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 25 of 91
18 October 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Matheus wrote:

I'm also sure that Brazilians (South America) are more likely to have a better Spanish
accent accent than Europeans (Apart from Spanish and Italians).

Having spent Saturday evening with two Brazilians with whom I was speaking Spanish I
pray to differ most vehemently. I am sure there are Brazilians with an excellent
accent, but I the ones I talked to were barely understandable.

I guess they were speaking Portunhol, or not making a little effort to pronounce
Spanish properly - they were probably pronouncing in Portuguese the words with the same
spelling, like Casa (house). In Portuguese we pronounce this word with a "Z" sound
instead of "S", but in Spanish it's actually "S".

If we learn 30 or 50 common Spanish words that are different from Portuguese, like To
forget (olvidar - esquecer), we can understand B2 or sometimes C1 Spanish, I suppose.
But all of my friends (yes, all of them) can't speak Spanish properly. Maybe that's
because they think the Spanish speakers will understand them, just like they understand
Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

Deerhound
Triglot
England
Joined 4727 days ago

30 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Toki Pona
Studies: French, Mandarin, Esperanto, Greek, Latin, Welsh

Message 26 of 91
18 October 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
In response to those saying that this thread is offensive: what's all the fuss about?

If someone thinks my accent is the worst in the world I'm hardly going to take offence.
Different people find different accents displeasing. I just don't see the problem.

As for me, it would take too long to explain what I like and dislike about the sounds of
the world's various languages and accents. With spoken English, I find some of the
Indian and African accents most difficult to understand.
3 persons have voted this message useful

MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4669 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 27 of 91
19 October 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Matheus wrote:

I'm also sure that Brazilians (South America) are more likely to have a better Spanish
accent accent than Europeans (Apart from Spanish and Italians).

Having spent Saturday evening with two Brazilians with whom I was speaking Spanish I
pray to differ most vehemently. I am sure there are Brazilians with an excellent
accent, but I the ones I talked to were barely understandable.

I guess they were speaking Portunhol, or not making a little effort to pronounce
Spanish properly - they were probably pronouncing in Portuguese the words with the same
spelling, like Casa (house). In Portuguese we pronounce this word with a "Z" sound
instead of "S", but in Spanish it's actually "S".

If we learn 30 or 50 common Spanish words that are different from Portuguese, like To
forget (olvidar - esquecer), we can understand B2 or sometimes C1 Spanish, I suppose.
But all of my friends (yes, all of them) can't speak Spanish properly. Maybe that's
because they think the Spanish speakers will understand them, just like they understand
Spanish.

Actually those "different" words exist in Portuguese, we just don't use them, but they
are exactly the same and mean the same...

SPA     = PT    
olvidar = olvidar
empezar = empeçar
and so on

Foreign accents are equally "bad" (it's not the definition I want though)
When speaking English to a Canadian guy, having a British, Australian, Russian or
Ethiopian accent may be just as strange

Even when you mother tongue is similar to the language you wanna speak, it's like
comparing both Italian and German accents when speaking Portuguese, they are evenly
foreign

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5252 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 28 of 91
19 October 2011 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Some people do not find anything offensive about this poll. What is the fuss about? they say. I'll explain my point of view. First, I don't think the OP or anybody has any bad or racist intentions. Second, the problem lies in the wording, "Who has the worst accent?". I said quite explicitly in a previous post that saying "least intelligible" would be better wording. We are talking about "understandabiliy" or intelligibility and not bad, good or nice sounding accent. Third, the other major flaw in this poll is the broad categories used. We see that Asia produces the worst accent in the world and that Europe produces the least. What exactly does that mean? Frankly, it doesn't smell very good. Does that tell us that Asians on a whole have a worst accent when speaking all languages than Europeans speaking all languages? So, Europeans have less of an accent speaking Cantonese than Cantonese-speakers in English? One poster even suggested that Americans (note that the poll does not says USA but all of the Americas) have the worst accents because of little exposure to to other languages. And within the Americas, it seems that the Brazilians are the worst offenders when speaking Spanish.

On a side note, some people have pointed out how certain dialects of English are hard to understand. This is not because they are bad. It's simply because we are not used to them. Sure, I find the vernacular of Glasgow difficult to understand because I'm not used to it. But I would not call it a bad accent in English. It's simply different, and I'm sure that the people of Glasgow would find my English hard to understand.

Really, the whole things smacks of ethocentrism. It's all about the rest of the world speaking English, Spanish or some other European language. It's not about Europeans speaking Asian, African or any of the world's non-Western indigenous languages.

6 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5084 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 29 of 91
19 October 2011 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Some people do not find anything offensive about this poll. What is the fuss about? they say. I'll explain my point of view. First, I don't think the OP or anybody has any bad or racist intentions. Second, the problem lies in the wording, "Who has the worst accent?". I said quite explicitly in a previous post that saying "least intelligible" would be better wording. We are talking about "understandability" or intelligibility and not bad, good or nice sounding accent. Third, the other major flaw in this poll is the broad categories used...
...Really, the whole things smacks of ethnocentrism....

Exactly my point, "worst" implies a value judgement that is not warranted. Accents in native languages aren't "good" or "bad" just different. Accents of adults in second languages depend on the individuals and I don't think you can judge them based on continents. That's painting with a pretty broad brush. Years ago, in more racist times, mocking of accents in the media was used to denigrate, belittle and devalue immigrants, be they Chinese, Japanese, Latin American, Jewish, Polish, French, Italian, Irish or whatever.

I agree with @s_allard, I don't believe that was the intent of the OP but this type of thing can very easily slide into a direction that we do not want to go as a forum composed of a diverse international membership. To the credit of our membership so far, we haven't gone there- yet. It's one thing to say that you have difficulty understanding a certain accent and another thing entirely to place a value judgement on it- that is what is offensive.

Edited by iguanamon on 19 October 2011 at 4:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5156 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 30 of 91
19 October 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I feel pretty certain that leosmith is capable of defending himself, but I can't let this one pass.

I have a lot of respect for both s_allard and iguanamon, both because of their knowledge and their moral standards, and I am convinced that they have the very best of intentions. However I always get extremely concerned when accusations of rascism and discrimination are being set forward at the merest hint of a possible case of, and if someone misinterprets..... You get my drift.

Guys. There are a lot of very sensible people on this forum. They can generally be trusted. Let us trust them, and answer the question which is asked related to languages. And if the question is uninterresting, there are so many other posts to be answered.

If we cannot keep peace among ourselves on this forum, withouth calling the cops, I have very little faith in the possibility of there ever being peace on earth.

And I would like to be able to hang on to the thought that I will at some point in my life experience peace on earth.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 19 October 2011 at 5:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5252 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 31 of 91
19 October 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I feel pretty certain that leosmith is capable of defending himself, but I can't let this one pass.

I have a lot of respect for both s_allard and iguanamon, both because of their knowledge and their moral standards, and I am convinced that they have the very best of intentions. However I always get extremely concerned when accusations of rascism and discrimination are being set forward at the merest hint of a possible case of, and if someone misinterprets..... You get my drift.

Guys. There are a lot of very sensible people on this forum. They can generally be trusted. Let us trust them, and answer the question which is asked related to languages. And if the question is uninterresting, there are so many other posts to be answered.

If we cannot keep peace among ourselves on this forum, withouth calling the cops, I have very little faith in the possibility of there ever being peace on earth.

And I would like to be able to hang on to the thought that I will at some point in my life experience peace on earth.

I won't speak for iguanamon, but I have to answer Solfrid Cristin whom I have come to respect and enjoy reading over the years. I am not making accusations of racism and discrimination. Quite the contrary, what I have always said is that the design of this poll is flawed and lends itself to accusations of bias or prejudice. If the title had been "Who seems least intelligible?", I probably would not have said a thing (although I'd have to think a bit). And I believe we can have interesting discussions about the difficulties of understanding different accents without being sidetracked by controversies about what is good and bad. So, if we want peace and mutual respect, let's choose our words carefully.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5515 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 32 of 91
19 October 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so the OP worded it badly. I think we've established that. We all make mistakes. Can we learn from this one and move on now?

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version