Scotland
Joined 5894 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 9 of 69
14 October 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
In 'Bao's Test' I scored 29,600.
Quite a lot of these words I have never even heard of!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4855 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 10 of 69
14 October 2011 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Sorry if I'm getting off track but does anyone know of a test similar to these two for less common languages?

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5062 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 11 of 69
14 October 2011 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Well I (native speaker) got 24,400 words in that first test, although I'd probably have
done a tiny bit better if I hadn't gone and messed the first question up.

Honestly, though, you wouldn't need most of those words in daily conversation - only if
you wanted to read the more advanced kind of literature. It's never too late to expand
your vocabulary, should you want to, either.

I wonder if anyone knows a test like this for Spanish? I'd love to see how that would go.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5219 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 12 of 69
15 October 2011 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I did the second test (score of 39,600). But the interesting part was in the notes to the overall test results where they looked at the correlation of age and vocabulary size. Here is the text that accompanies a chart showing age and vocabulary size:

"This is a fantastic chart, because it shows the speed at which our vocabulary really grows. Between the ages of 3 and roughly 16, our vocabulary explodes at an average rate of almost 4 new words a day (3.8, to be more exact). Then, between the ages of 16 and 50, our vocabulary growth is slower, but still fairly consistent: around 1 new word a day (0.85, to be precise). Finally, beyond 50, vocabulary size appears to remain fairly constant."

This data of course shows the particular impact of schooling on the expansion of one's vocabulary.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5748 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 69
15 October 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
What QiuJP, the original poster, describes is also something that can happen with children of immigrants. In fact, what he describes is very close to what happened to my husband here in the US. QiuJP, after you're done venting, shake it off and go on with your life. That's important to do otherwise you'll miss out on other opportunities. Good luck.

rivere123
United States
Joined 4619 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 69
15 October 2011 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I got 12000 :o I'll make up an excuse and say I flubbed on a few of the words because iPads are tough to
maneuver.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6168 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 69
15 October 2011 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
As discussed in another thread this test is very sensitive to how the test taker answers questions he/she is
unsure of. For example, if you guessed at the meaning of some words that you didn't really know you would
do much better than if you answered I don't know. The problem is the test doesn't tell you whether you
should try to infer the meaning of words you don't really know. I don't remember my score but it was way
below a lot of non-native speakers.

Edited by newyorkeric on 15 October 2011 at 6:08am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5555 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 16 of 69
15 October 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I guessed unless I really had no idea, because that's what I always do; a habit that is hard to overcome. I got around 15k in the first and between 17 and 22k in the second test, but those should represent the word families I think I understand, not the ones I actually can understand or the ones I can use. And, honestly? On one hand there are a lot of words for everyday items I don't know, and on the other hand I know rarer words because they pertain to my fields of interest. I'm simply no native speaker and never will be one. But I have this wonderful gift of a human mind with its adaptability and inquisitiveness, and I give my best to put them to use. Why? Because I want to be able to comprehend, to communicate and to express my own thoughts efficiently.

Your English and Chinese will improve as long as you take on new challenges in situations where you have to use one of those languages.

You can always make up exercises to increase the rate in which this happens. I can't be sure of it, but one of my friends working there commented on the wide-spread use of Singlish in Singapore. That could be a starting point, to ask yourself if you know how to express a sentence you hear (or even say yourself) in a more standard English or Chinese. You could also change sentences from informal settings to formal ones, written language to spoken language or the other way around. How would you explain a certain matter to a customer, how to your boss, how to a group of children? That kind of game or mental exercise can usually be done in short spans of idle time you happen to find yourself in and if you can make it fun to you, it won't use up your strength and concentration. And even though you won't remember all sentences you found hard to transform, I find that one or two stick and I can jot them down and look them up in the evening.
I do that for German as well, by the way; it's a habit I got into when I was bored by too much repetition in class.

Edited by Bao on 16 October 2011 at 3:07am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version