Singapore
Joined 5644 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 25 of 69
19 October 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

P.S. A useful piece of advice from my Linear Algebra teacher: don't mistake your dislike
for a teacher for dislike for a subject :)

Thanks for the advice, but I met very few good English teacher who helped me when I was
struggling. Most of the English teachers saw me as a burden as my grade wasn't good. For
some reason, a teacher's career/promotion chance is based on how many students obtain a
good grade in the subject the teacher taught. Someone needs to change the education
system.
1 person has voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4962 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 26 of 69
20 October 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP, I can empathize with you.

Once upon a time, I suffered through Singapore's education system as well. And although
I managed to do relatively well within the constraints of the system, I have nothing
but derision for the system itself. The system unabashedly seeks to sort students into
'tiers' as though they were classes of cattle. Students who perform better on
standardized tests are sorted into higher tiers and subsequently end up in better
schools while students who do not perform as well are carted off to institutions for
vocational education. Oftentimes, there is little choice or free will in the matter.
Throughout the years of mandatory education, students are sorted at least three times
with the first sorting occurring at as early as the age of 10. This has engendered a
situation whereby parents obsess fanatically over their child's grades and will brook
no expense in ensuring that their child does not get left behind.

However, my greatest criticism regarding Singapore's education system is that it
doesn't seem to spark any intellectual curiosity beyond the prescribed schoolbooks. Ask
the average guy on the street his opinion about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict or why
Africa remains so poor or what he thinks about the OWS movement and you'll likely draw
a blank. The standard response will probably be "I dunno" or "Aiyoh, not my problem
lah". This apathy is so omnipresent that it extends into many realms, including
politics. (To their credit, Singaporeans have been making small steps to becoming more
involved in political issues, due to increased debate over the internet as well as a
reaction to growing political movements in neighboring countries like Malaysia,
Thailand, Burma and the Philippines etc.) But these are indeed just small steps in
rectifying an education system that has bred its citizens into a race of robots and
sheeple.

Edit:

Btw, QiuJP, you remind me a little of myself, but in reverse. I ended up in a SAP
school (Chinese and English as first languages) although my parents could not read or
write any Chinese at all. Any Chinese they learnt to speak came from Ch 8 dramas. My
Chinese really wasn't good at all even though I had been forced to learn it as a first
language since P5. But of course you know as well as I do that Chinese lessons = 背 a
bunch of words from the 词语手册. 但无论我背得多好,我的华文成绩还是欠佳。 Sobz. It was no joke
though, I remember getting a C5 for Higher Chinese during my Prelims in Sec 4. I was
practically the 2nd or 3rd from the bottom in my class. After secondary school, I went
to a JC that spoke predominantly English. One of best friends went to the same JC as I
did but I think he started to develop an inferiority complex because he came from a
Chinese-speaking family. It got to a point where he started to memorize words from the
dictionary in a bid to build up his vocabulary. He would then try to pepper
conversations with his newly acquired words regardless of context. It was as though he
had something to prove and yet his solution was so very "Singaporean", i.e. memorizing
from the dictionary in much the same way as I memorized from the 词语手册. Of course,
part of the issue is Singapore's tacit acknowledgement of English as the language of
'prestige' in Singapore. But of course, the growing transcendence of China is gradually
raising the profile of Chinese in Singapore. Which goes back to my earlier point
regarding intellectual curiosity. Why can't a language be promoted on the basis of
interest, whether within the language itself or within the culture in which the
language is predominantly spoken. The fact that the language is promoted on the basis
of economic expediency just doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by strikingstar on 20 October 2011 at 5:06pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6168 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 69
20 October 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
It's worse now as Singapore is becoming similar to other countries like Korea in emphasizing tuition and
schooling at a very early age. My sister-in-law was told to send her daughter to tuition so she wouldn't fall
behind and suffer esteem problems. She's only 7! Of course, part of the problem is that the teachers
encourage outside tuition so students will do better in their class, and they will look more effective.

As for being unaware of the world outside their own bubble, that's endemic to kids all over.

Edited by newyorkeric on 20 October 2011 at 2:08pm

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4962 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 

Message 28 of 69
20 October 2011 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
The situation is downright ridiculous sometimes. Every year, it's a hoot watching
parents as they clamor to enroll their children in the limited number of places in
prestigious primary schools. It's the epitome of kiasu-ness. (Kiasu is a Hokkien term
which literally refers to a fear of losing out.)

And of course I acknowledge that there are kids everywhere who live in their own little
bubbles but this is a little dismissive of kids who for example, have protested during
the Civil Rights Movement. Or students who are currently protesting in OWS. Or students
who have protested the Iraq War or the Vietnam War etc. They have an opinion and they
take a stand. And of course this isn't a Western concept. Kids took part in the Arab
Spring. Kids took part in the Bersih and Hindraf protests in Malaysia. Kids took to the
streets against Thaksin in Thailand. Kids were part of the People Power Revolution in
Philippines. Kids took part in Tiananmen Square in China. Kids joined monks in Burma
during the Saffron Revolution. Of course, you won't find these same circumstances in
Singapore because of its stability. However, in Singapore, my expectation is no longer
of them taking action on anything. I've lowered the bar significantly and just hope
they can as least form an opinion. In Singapore, the vibe I get is that "If it don't
concern me, it don't mean nuthin' to me". And having attended schools in both the US
and Singapore, I can say that I've had some scintillating conversations with my
American friends which I cannot envisage ever having in Singapore. And yet I don't
believe that one group is intellectually superior to the other. Perhaps just more
intellectually curious.

Somewhere along the way, Singaporeans have allowed themselves to buy into the concept
of "Asian values" as espoused by their beloved LKY, swapping certain freedoms for
admittedly meteoric economic progress and financial stability. In Singapore, I get the
feeling that everyone is defined in terms of their economic worth, i.e. the individual
life has no intrinsic value, you only have value when you are able to contribute
productively to the economy and there is a positive correlation between your
productivity and your value. That is why the education system is the way it is. It
filters the brightest minds into the best schools to prepare them for the best jobs in
government, civil society and certain well-positioned businesses. Based on perceived
intellectual capability, everyone else gets sorted accordingly with the
"underachieving" denigrated as a class of social rejects. They go to Institutes of
Technical Education (ITEs), known colloquially as "It's The End". This also explains
the very top-down approach to politics in Singapore and the need to achieve consensus
on many issues. It is a system that strips them of their pride as individuals and
shunts them off into their relevant economic role as determined by the hierarchy.   

PS: I didn't mean to go on a tirade against S'pore today but QiuJP's post just opened
an ugly can of worms. I apologize that my post had next to nothing to do with language
learning.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5015 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 29 of 69
20 October 2011 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about the particular details in Singapore, etc. so what I'm about to say might not apply entirely, but I've seen this kind of criticisms towards education systems and labor markets before and I find them highly illogical. Please correct me if I'm being illogical myself, or I misunderstood anything...

First, the mission of an education system is to educate students, i.e. make them more knowledgeable at the end of the process than they were at the beginning. If the following is not obvious to you, ask anyone who has taught for any amount of time: the wider the skill range of the students is, the more difficult it is to keep an efficient pace, i.e. if a rhythm adequate for the better students is kept, the slower ones get 'left behind', and if you center on them, the others are kept from advancing more. So, if we want the system to work the best, it is only natural to sort and separate students and place them in groups according to their skill/achievement levels.

Second, different jobs demand different levels of skill/knowledge, so it's logical that 'qualified' positions are primarily oriented to be filled by the students whose qualifications better match the position requirements.

I think this is how things should work, and how they actually work in most parts of the world. We see problems arise everywhere because there's more to life, but people often blame these inherent workings of both systems when the issues actually lie somewhere else:

The education system killing off students' curiosity is of course a major issue, but student segregation is not its source. If students are not separated, the rhythm is that of the slowest ones, which is a warranty to bore everyone else. The problem here is how classes are conducted.

In any labor market, we are bound to find [many] more 'unqualified jobs' than 'qualified' ones. Now, it's natural that parents aim for their children to get the highest paid jobs, but it's simply not possible that they all do. Putting too much pressure on the kids is the parents' fault, no matter if it's due to unrealistic expectations about their potential, and probably ignoring kids' responses, or other factors.

Now, if such individuals abound it's possible (if not likely) that these wrong views and behaviors partly stem from your particular education system because individuals with those views reinforce the pattern from the inside. But again that's not inherent to the system basic workings.

Sorry about my long posts lately, guess I'm a bit bored :)

Edit: BTW, most kids' such stands I've seen are the result of direct manipulation by adults or the media, so I wouldn't generally regard those as signs of independent thought.

Edited by mrwarper on 20 October 2011 at 5:15pm

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4962 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 

Message 30 of 69
20 October 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
First, the mission of an education system is to educate students, i.e. make them
more knowledgeable at the end of the process than they were at the beginning. If the
following is not obvious to you, ask anyone who has taught for any amount of time: the
wider the skill range of the students is, the more difficult it is to keep an efficient
pace, i.e. if a rhythm adequate for the better students is kept, the slower ones get
'left behind', and if you center on them, the others are kept from advancing more. So,
if we want the system to work the best, it is only natural to sort and separate
students and place them in groups according to their skill/achievement levels.

Herein lies the problem. This claim already presupposes that everyone has no inherent
worth apart from the worth derived from their contributions as a functioning economic
unit. It is the system that is of primary importance. From a practical point of view,
dividing students based on aptitude and allowing them to progress at their own pace is
a nice concept. Very neat. And I wouldn't be so critical if everyone was still offered
the same subjects in school. But they aren't, because the system doesn't take into
account freedom and choice. Not in Singapore at least. Remember how QiuJP complained
that he wasn't allowed to study Chinese literature even though his Chinese was good. He
had to study English literature instead even though he may not have had any real
interest in it. Why should I be forced to study subjects I'm not interested in just
because I'm not as capable as another student. Shouldn't I be allowed to study whatever
I'm interested in? Why should I be prevented from studying Chinese literature, or
Ecology or History just because someone else does better than me at English, Math and
Physics. That's the way the system is in Singapore. Doesn't anyone realize that I have
an incentive to do better when I'm allowed to study what I'm interested in. And then
why does it matter if I spend 3 years studying Chemistry when others spend only 1 year?
As long as I'm passionate about Chemistry, no one should stop me from studying it even
if it takes me 3 years to do it. If I perform poorly within the system, I don't have a
choice in what to study. Instead I get a special curriculum tailored for me. And later
on, I am made to attend a technical institute to follow a path I never aspired to.

Now imagine if you were a cow and your government came along one day and said: "Cow A
has good meat and the right percentage of fat. It's gonna make for some good beef. It's
going to Farm A. Cow B produces good milk. It's going to Farm B. You on the other hand,
make for neither good beef nor good milk. You're going to Farm C. After two months,
you'll be slaughtered and made into sausages for the nearest supermarket". How would
you like that?

Singapore has produced a good number of successful people and it celebrates its
successes but it doesn't readily acknowledge that the system has left just as many
people by the wayside. In this manner, it breeds a sense of elitism within the society
and causes many to feel inferior about themselves.

This is an account by a Singaporean friend. All Singaporean men have to serve in the
military for two years.

He says: "Many of my men were elementary and middle school dropouts. They felt like
they had little to look forward to after their two years in the military were over.
They were unlikely to attend college or land high-paying jobs, and had no idea how they
were going to make a living. Many of them went AWOL (Absent Without Official Leave) and
as punishment their mandatory military service was extended. Because they didn’t have
concrete goals they wanted to achieve once they left the army, they felt like serving
more time wasn’t delaying the start of their actual adult lives."

Quote:
Second, different jobs demand different levels of skill/knowledge, so it's
logical that 'qualified' positions are primarily oriented to be filled by the students
whose qualifications better match the position requirements.

I agree with you on this but this is decided largely at the collegiate level. You study
engineering and there's a good chance you end doing something related to engineering.
Economics/business for finance or management etc. Medicine for the medical
professional. Of course nothing is set in stone. But this decision is definitely not
made at the age of 10 or 12. How many people know what they want to do at the age of
12? If I want to be a lawyer, that path may be closed to me because I got shunted off
to vocational school some years ago. In other words, the system allows little leeway
for me to deviate from the path it has chosen for me. The system is stacked against
many people who have been sorted into lower tiers.

Quote:
The education system killing off students' curiosity is of course a major issue,
but student segregation is not its source. If students are not separated, the rhythm is
that of the slowest ones, which is a warranty to bore everyone else. The problem here
is how classes are conducted.

I never said student segregation is the source. You find this lack of curiosity
throughout all tiers within the system. This lack of curiosity stems from a lack of
emphasis on critical analysis and independent thought within the system itself. I have
recounted how I studied for Chinese by memorizing words from a handbook. Physics and
Math were a bunch of equations. The system is too reliant on rote memorization. There's
too much emphasis on 'What' instead of 'How' and 'Why'. I cannot speak for other Asian
countries where rote learning is the norm, but I know that at least in Malaysia,
similar accusations have been leveled against the education system and its role in
stifling creative thought. Of course the cynic in me thinks that the more sheeple you
can turn the citizenry into, the easier it will be to control them.

Quote:
Edit: BTW, most kids' such stands I've seen are the result of direct
manipulation by adults or the media, so I wouldn't generally regard those as signs of
independent thought.

Again, this is awfully dismissive of the contributions of kids to worthwhile causes. Of
course, I'm referring to older adolescents and young adults when I use the term 'kids',
i.e. people in their late teens and early twenties. I suspect that is what newyorkeric
had in mind as well when he first mentioned kids living in their own bubbles. I'm
pretty young myself and I feel you underestimate the role of youth activism in society.
And regardless of whether they were manipulated or otherwise, the fact still remains
that they had an opinion, they took a stand and a positive outcome was achieved. Does
it diminish their efforts towards the ouster of the likes of Mubarak and Gaddafi in the
Middle East even if they had been manipulated? Of course, youth activism would be a
largely alien concept in Singapore. In fact any form of activism for the most part.
Which is my main point. That the system has fomented a level of apathy in the
citizenry.

Edited by strikingstar on 20 October 2011 at 7:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6168 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 69
21 October 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
The thread is moving off topic, particularly with the political stuff. If you would like to continue the discussion along these lines, please do so privately.

Edited by newyorkeric on 21 October 2011 at 2:58am

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4721 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 32 of 69
21 October 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
I was reading "From third world to first", wrote by LKY, there is a chapter talk about language policy. I think what he tried to tell me was:There would be not singapore without English. He was in the same delimma as you are. don't know about singapore economic structure but I think outport is one of the major. The whole contry rely on it.    btw, kids are ont involved in Tiananmeb square, those are college students. Pensonally I don't think kids should be involve in politics. There is not way they would understand what is really going on, on the stage onthe back, power and economy. They just follow the adults or the other people. We who live in what is happening may not see the whole picture, how can kids? Teenagers on the other hand, should start to think about it, but not act. Power debate is fun, but not our game for now. Thinking before action. I started being interested in politics when I was 13. Being 17 years old now I think I know about politics, but I also know how easy I can get influenced. And puzzled......弱国无外交,小国无政治。The book tells me how small contry makes its living, which is so different from china's. As so called well-educated, I think we should understand the background, the root under the tree, the gene behind the trait. Then we can do better than complaint. And this thread reminds me of a singaporean TV series 小孩不笨, the joke about 精英,精华. Forgive me for my grammar mistakes and things, it's two o'clock in the moring in china...

Edited by lindseylbb on 21 October 2011 at 7:45pm

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version