Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
128 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 15 16 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 105 of 128
09 December 2011 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
From what I can tell, they go in February, May, August and November.
It works roughly that you have six weeks ON and then six weeks to rest before the next
challenge.

Indeed. And within the "rest" periods, there's the Tadoku challenge, which always lasts
one month: January, April etc. This is for people who still need something to do -
actually they gave me the idea for the Twitter bot, so I don't want to compete with them.
The Tadoku challenge is about reading as much as possible in your target language, to get
a blast of comprehensible input.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 106 of 128
10 December 2011 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Omg I got a crazy idea. In August I'll do the 6 week challenge for the language of the country that wins Euro 2012! Unless it's Russia, England or France (don't like French). If it's one of them I'll do the language of the runner-up country.
2 persons have voted this message useful

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6115 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 107 of 128
10 December 2011 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I know the challenge is not over yet, but I must say that I really enjoyed the last six weeks. I'm usually not the competitive type so when at the beginning my attitude was "Ah well! Why not?" and I didn't expect much. However, I must say I was utterly, albeit pleasantly, surprised how powerful this motivator has been for me. I really did not expect to study so many hours in six weeks, and certainly not to be among the top contenders.

What I really like is how your progress is measurable and you can track your own and other people's progress almost in real-time. I'm more skeptical towards non-measurable challenges such as the TAC, though, and I think there should be more challenges like the 6WC.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 108 of 128
10 December 2011 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
I agree, more different challenges would be fun!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5069 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 109 of 128
11 December 2011 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Sorry if this has already been asked a million times, but when does the challenge end?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 110 of 128
12 December 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
The challenge ends tonight! Nobody may continue past midnight his time.

H.Computatralis, I am glad you made the same discovery I did. You've been putting in a
lot of hours, congratulations! For a different challenge, may I recommend the Tadoku
(Read more or die) challenge to you, which also uses a Twitter bot & highscore? It was my
inspiration for this actually, and the next one is in January and lasts till the
beginning of the next 6 Week Challenge, which is in February. Read about it
here.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5539 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 111 of 128
12 December 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I feel very much like H.Computatralis. This challenge really motivated me. I hope I will keep it up at this pace until the next challenge, but I sort of got the hang of it so maybe I won't go back to my unsystematic ways.

Serpent wrote:
Omg I got a crazy idea. In August I'll do the 6 week challenge for the language of the country that wins Euro 2012! Unless it's Russia, England or France (don't like French). If it's one of them I'll do the language of the runner-up country.

I like that idea. I wouldn't do it myself but it's an interesting way of choosing a language!

Edited by pesahson on 12 December 2011 at 5:56pm

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6115 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 112 of 128
12 December 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestion Sprachprofi, but I think I'll pass. I'm kind of a slow reader so that challenge would just depress me.

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version