Diglot
United States
Joined 4836 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 9 of 128
23 October 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
In for Mandarin again. Looking forward to what'll probably be my last 6WC for a while; I
think I'll finally be able to push my Mandarin out of the lower-intermediate level it's
been languishing in for some time.

Thanks for organizing, Sprachprofi!
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5026 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 10 of 128
23 October 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
You don't have to sign up for any language beyond the first

I know I don't have to--

howto wrote:
Only one language can be your target, because the idea of the 6 Week Challenge is to make giant progress in one language. However, the bot can register the maintenance work you do on other languages as well.

--but if the bot can register work on other languages, you can have more than one target. How?

Edited by mrwarper on 23 October 2011 at 12:46pm

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5493 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 11 of 128
23 October 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
This is just what I needed! Having literally JUST begun studying Catalan (I've only been to two classes), I am about as beginnery as a beginner can get. But I am indeed signed up for the course this semester, so why not use the 6WC to really motivate myself? :) Going to sign up right now...

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5056 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 12 of 128
23 October 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
What does the bot keep track of? The total time spent on learning the language?
Are there any tests or whatever?
How is you progres compared with the others'?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6270 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 13 of 128
23 October 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
MrWarper, to log your progress, you would post something like

@6wcbot I studied 10 minutes of #Japanese #Anki just now

You can write this kind of message for ANY language and it will be added to your total
score (= total study time) for the month. The only difference is that if you declared
Japanese your main target language, this post will additionally improve your target
score (= time spent on your focus language). So if you registered with Japanese, it
becomes more valuable to study Japanese rather than other languages, but you're still
free to study other languages.

Looking at some previous 6 Week Challenge stats, your language distribution might
finally look like
this,
this, or
this, but
the idea is to encourage you to make a lot of progress on one language, so you can only
have one "focus" language. In registering, you declare your focus language, you cannot
declare which other languages you'll be working on.

EDIT: a3: the bot tracks your time. Every minute increases your ranking in the high
score. If you see that studying 15 more minutes will advance you from #5 to #3 in all
participants, your competitive side might motivate you to put in that time. There are
no tests however, and I'm relying on everyone to report honestly. There's nothing to
gain from lying.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 23 October 2011 at 1:21pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5026 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 128
23 October 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
OK, I think I understand everything now. I guess the wording could be slightly improved, maybe something along the lines of

When you register (#reg #lang), that language is designated as your 'target', meaning 'main target'. After that, you can add study time to ANY language, so we have 'Total score' and 'Target score'. Study time added to languages other than your target will show up in Total Score and detailed listings, but obviously NOT in Target Score.

Anyway, what's the need for twitter? Even if I almost don't know you I trust you more than those guys. It's just a feeling, but...

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6270 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 15 of 128
23 October 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Yes, you got it.

There are three reasons for Twitter.

1) It's an easy protocol to implement, anyone can tweet what he's doing there and the
bot will pick up on it. The forum's language logs couldn't be automated the same way.
It also takes care of authentification. If I created a homebrew solution, I'd have to
find a way to ensure that people can't update other people's scores.

2) It makes the challenge interactive. The challenge is not between you and the bot,
but rather you can see what other participants are doing at the same time, and whether
you are in danger of being overtaken ;-) If you're a regular user of Twitter, getting
these messages about people studying languages will also serve as a regular reminder to
do some studying yourself, whenever you're idle enough to be reading Twitter. You can
also read HOW people are spending time on their language, and get inspired to try new
materials / approaches.

3) Quite a few people are using Twitter already, either out of a desire to share what
they're doing or because they're in the Tadoku challenge, which uses a similar Twitter-
based bot and was my inspiration.

If you're worried about privacy, just create a closed account on Twitter, so that you
have to approve anyone who wants to follow you. Then you have to approve the bot before
registering for the challenge.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 23 October 2011 at 2:45pm

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5218 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 16 of 128
23 October 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I think I might sign up for this for French. I'm not working but I am studying full-time. I take it that I can just put in that I am working full-time?

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version