Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
128 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 113 of 128
12 December 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
H.Computatralis wrote:
I'm kind of a slow reader so that challenge would just depress
me.

It's up to you, but: everyone is a slow reader in a foreign language. Especially the vast
majority of Tadoku participants, who are learning Japanese. Can you imagine reading
Japanese as quickly as English? ;-)

For anyone who wants to quickly improve his reading speed (quickly = within less than an
hour), I can really recommend
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/07/30/speed-readin g-and-accelerated-learning/
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 114 of 128
12 December 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
pesahson wrote:
I feel very much like H.Computatralis. This challenge really motivated me. I hope I will keep it up at this pace until the next challenge, but I sort of got the hang of it so maybe I won't go back to my unsystematic ways.

Serpent wrote:
Omg I got a crazy idea. In August I'll do the 6 week challenge for the language of the country that wins Euro 2012! Unless it's Russia, England or France (don't like French). If it's one of them I'll do the language of the runner-up country.

I like that idea. I wouldn't do it myself but it's an interesting way of choosing a language!
:) Only because it's Europe hehe. I'd not dare to do that at the world cup :P and I have to admit I do hope Greece won't win it.

and did I mention I'll do Polish for my May 6WC? pre-tournament excitement yay.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 115 of 128
12 December 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
H.Computatralis wrote:
me.

It's up to you, but: everyone is a slow reader in a foreign language. Especially the vast
majority of Tadoku participants, who are learning Japanese. Can you imagine reading

For anyone who wants to quickly improve his reading speed (quickly = within less than an
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/07/30/speed-readin g-and-accelerated-learning/
doesn't this take awat the joy of reading, though? I'd rather read randomly like the AJATT guy recommends than treat books like fastfood...

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 116 of 128
12 December 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
doesn't this take awat the joy of reading, though? I'd rather read
randomly like the AJATT guy recommends than treat books like fastfood...

If you actually speed-read, then yes. However, after the speed-reading exercise, my
natural, relaxed reading speed was also faster than before, while I was still taking in
every word.

Think about it: in our native language, we naturally read faster than in a foreign
language. However, that doesn't mean that when we increase our foreign language reading
speed up to native-language levels that we'll stop enjoying the read. In fact, that
should increase the enjoyment.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 117 of 128
12 December 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
H.Computatralis wrote:
me.

doesn't this take awat the joy of reading, though? I'd rather read randomly like the AJATT guy recommends than treat books like fastfood...

Within reason, I enjoy books more while reading them more quickly.

This doesn't apply to anything extremely heavy (say, a book I'm actually learning new branches of math or new algorithms from, or something which impels me to do some philosophical reflection). But for most books, I find reading quicker leads to more comprehension and more enjoyment.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 118 of 128
12 December 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
To me, it's like food -- I find no enjoyment in rushing through it.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 119 of 128
13 December 2011 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
To me, it's like food -- I find no enjoyment in rushing through it.

Likewise. I just find the concept of reading most books slowly to be like that of spending at least an hour on a salad, making sure to chew each bite a hundred times: after a certain point, it becomes truly off-putting.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5119 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 120 of 128
13 December 2011 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
I'd prefer 2 salads in an hour. And a soup if there's still time left.

I believe the point of increasing your reading speed is to have things exactly the same - comprehension, enjoyment - in less time. If you read faster but enjoy less, you didn't really read faster as they had meant, you only skimmed instead of read.

Kind of like, when you're a junior staff, you earn $100 a day. When you're more experienced, you earn $200 a day - not because you worked twice as hard, sweated twice as much, or worked twice the hours, but because you're now twice as capable.

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version