Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 33 of 67
31 October 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Come back and tell us about it when you succeed.

Or better yet, stay and tell us while you're doing it!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 34 of 67
31 October 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Come back and tell us about it when you succeed.

Or better yet, stay and tell us while you're doing it!

Of course. I did not mean to imply that he should stay away until he had succeded. Just that I would be interested in the result. Sigh.. English can be complicated sometimes.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 35 of 67
31 October 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Of course. I did not mean to imply that he should stay away until he had succeded. Just that
I would be interested in the result. Sigh.. English can be complicated sometimes.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you meant to imply that … uh, Yah, complicated.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 36 of 67
01 November 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
I too fail to get worked up about this dimension to language learning. Although ceteris paribus it's more challenging for a polyglot to have acheived the status crossing several phyla than to have done the same by making the rounds in one phylum (or even one subgroup of the phylum), this seems still like a ¢0¢k-swinging contest. Instead of trying to upstage each other by simple quantity, it's happening by the degree to which your mind can get "stretched" when mastering several languages from highly divergent phyla. There are plenty of ways to flex your intellectual power but better to be suitably modest but diligent than to look for ways to show up others openly who have not met some contrived standard for a particular endeavour.

No thanks. I'd feel like an insecure twit if I were to learn languages with this kind of motivation. In any case, the accumulation of foreign languages is a bit like the accumulation of money whether it be in the size of the account with one currency, or the number of accounts needed to hold several currencies. Basically having money in my pocket or languages in my mind is an asset to me but a liability to NO ONE.

By the same token Vlad's abilities (for example) are an asset to him but the rest of us don't acquire a liability because of his accomplishment.
2 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4791 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 37 of 67
08 December 2011 at 2:10am | IP Logged 

Crucial Corollary Concept in Panglotism: Mutual Intelligibility

Let me just quickly mention one of the crucial concepts related to Panglotism in preparation for a possible later post: linguistic distance or mutual intelligibility between languages.

If you find yourself getting interested in the goals and approaches of globalglotism and panglotism, please try to get some informations on the above idea.

I was quite fascinated with this phenomenon among different languages and had frequently asked about it to the speakers of different languages. This was one of the key insights that had influenced me to organize my experiences with different languages and cultures in a way that infused some reflective thinking and systemic principle to my panglotic objectives.

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4791 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 38 of 67
08 December 2011 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Three Aspects of the Presentation of Panglotism

Panglotism(Globalglotism, Translingualism) as presented here has three aspects and objectives:
1) prognosticate certain changing trends within polyglottism in the context of our acceleratingly globalizing and networked world and the rise of a planetary civilization,
2) set forth its principles and approaches for those who have or will develop serious globalized language learning goals and carry out the implications of the concept of foreign language learning to its complete and most mature form, and find a systematic and effective approach to it, avoiding hit-and-miss and time and effort wasting methods[need qualifications and explications], and
3) present its dream and vision to inspire serious language learners and polyglots for more globalized language learning.

Edited by futurianus on 08 December 2011 at 2:18am

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4791 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 39 of 67
08 December 2011 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Panglottic Chat(2011.12.08):

--My owl of Ninerva started to flatter its wings, seemingly too late, even as it always does so necessarily.

--Names are important in public realm for transmission of our heritage to those who come after. For me, however, names related to 'panglotism' are not as important as the 'life' and the 'spirit' within it. It is the spirit of tremendous respect for different cultures irregardless of how little respected they are by the world, the spirit of insatiable curiosity about our world and different people groups within it, the spirit of futurity that seeks to overcome the limitations of our present times and chart new realities for the future generations.

--My life goals are not languages, but I have incorporated experiencing and growing in them into my life goals.

Edited by futurianus on 08 December 2011 at 4:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4791 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 40 of 67
08 December 2011 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
THE LAMENT OF A PANGLOTTER

One day, an aspiring panglot lamented: "The main languages to learn have decreased much over my long journey of panglotism. How sad would it be when there will not be more significant main languages I would feel challenged to learn!"
"When I started this journey, the world seemed so infinitely vast and fearfully unfamiliar and strange. Now it has become so small and familiar, and I am feeling much more at home on our planet. The more I saw, the more fulfilled and enlightened I became, but at the same time, as days go by, I find myself realizing how that exciting sense of adventure and discovery is slipping away."

His mentor then told him: "Do not feel a sense of loss over that. When you complete one task of life, you will find yourself at a place in life, in which you will begin to see many things that you could not see before and also see those things which you must do."

Panglotter revealed one big concern he had:
"I have one fear. When I finally begin to understand what life and this world is all about, I may be just at an age to pass away from this world."

His mentor replied: "That is exactly why you need to systematically organize your life and develop time deadlines for your life, including your time and effort spent with acquiring languages. You have other more important goals in life and you should make sure that your time and effort spent for learning languages must serve your primary objectives, in addition, of course, to the intrinsic joys and values within that journey itself. Though your owl will begin to fly at the dusk, you must always try to plan and revise your plans carefully, from the viewpoint of the omega point of your life."
"As with any other things in life, be prepared to stop and leave everything, should the life call you to allot those times you have reserved for language learning to other important duties or even to leave this world itself."

The panglotter nodded his head: "Yes, indeed, I will utilize my time to learn languages as much as possible at this particular juncture in my life, but I do understand that I should not be obsessed with it or its end results. I take it as a great previledge to be given this opportunity and stimulus to learn languages in lieu with understanding our plantary civilization and phenomenon of humanity and, at the same time, as a great responsibility for which I must give a serious account of."

The mentor then told him to be earnest in his pursuit, but advised him to relax and enjoy the process:
" 知之者不如好之者,好之者不如乐之者(One who studies is not as good as the one who likes studying. The one who likes studying is not as good as the one who enjoys learning.)"
"You have an idea of approximately how much time you have and thus you should not be too lax with learning languages. However, enjoy your journey. Regardless of the breadth and level you attain within that time, you would be glad to have walked this path and find yourself better prepared for what you must do after that journey."

After finishing his conversation with his mentor, the panglotter finally took some time to leave some more thoughts to his colleagues, feeling a sense of obligation to do so, taking an opportunity of his free time, and returned back to his other duties that demanded his attention.

Edited by futurianus on 08 December 2011 at 9:54am

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version