forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5028 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 41 of 58
16 June 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
... the following people are reasonably active, though some seem to disappear for a month and then come back:

mrwarper

Actually, I think that is pretty good. Most of our team still seems to be together. I think the challenge has been going very well. Everyone has been very good about encouraging each other and giving advice. Everyone also seems to keep fairly interesting logs as well. We don't simply list up what we've done for the week, but we also tell about various facts and interesting vocabulary we've found and discuss and give suggestions about programs, study techniques, books, movies, dramas...

Everyone seems to be working hard and making a lot of progress...

So, everyone give your thoughts and opinions, and speak up if I left you out of the list...

I am more of the opinion that you left me in too quickly or you need to redo your stats ;) ... I mean ...

keeping in mind that most of my friends in any sense of the word haven't heard of me in years, showing up here once a month IS an achievement (comparatively, that is) but I think it's the only one I made regarding our team or Japanese for that matter. Oh, well, I've moved my Japanese manuals from the 'won't ever have a look at these again' shelf to the 'gotta scan these sometime' one... I still hope I'll actually do something before 2013 gets me but don't expect it to be too spectacular.

So, don't interpret this as being some sort of 'party-pooper' but rather as my having the intent to keep it real because too much unfounded enthusiasm is just as bad as a low self-esteem. So... keep it real... keep it real... OK, celebrate ;)

1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 42 of 58
16 June 2012 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
I'm really glad for the forumand the challenge. I'm always surprised at the awesome feedback and
support I get from the other people participating. Its definitely helped me to stay studying and positive.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6422 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 43 of 58
16 June 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
So, you're not on the team, mrwarper? (;_;)

Actually, I wasn't entirely sure if you were on both teams or just the Russian team, but I put you in the list anyway. I can take you out again. It's no problem. The Russian team sounds like lots of fun and it's very active with Skype and everything. Almost makes me want to learn Russian.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5784 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 44 of 58
16 June 2012 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
No reason why we can't Skype in team い if people wanted to...

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5028 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 45 of 58
16 June 2012 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
I was about to reply next month ;)

OK, seriously, I think that any team concerned with productivity should seriously consider getting rid of me, so as I always say, up to you,

I guess I could do more Japanese if there were more video materials that engage me so maybe you could help me there. I'm generally not attracted to (nor repelled by) Japanese animation; however, I don't know how much of an issue that is if the language is really so removed from 'normal' as they say. I've tried watching some TV shows with a friend by my side translating, but I find them truly awful or utterly incomprehensible. Any suggestions about something that could be interesting AND useful, language-wise?
I was about to ask you if there's Japanese National Geographic freely available or something -- when I just found this.
Quote:
It is also nice to know that the dialogue you're listening to comes from a reliable source that is academic in nature, yet accessible to the general public. Maybe you’ll end up speaking Japanese like a documentary narrator; sounds like something to aspire to.

That's just enough reason to try it out. Any other suggestions?

BTW g-bod beat me to it: there's absolutely no reason why Skype should be only a Team Sputnik thing. I came up with the idea of doing it once a week no matter what so everyone can drop by to spur casual (and eventually regular) participation. Maybe we could the same here.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6422 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 46 of 58
16 June 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
@mrwarper
You were actually not one of the ones I was thinking of when I wrote, "disappears for a month." And I see no reason to kick you off the team unless you want to kick yourself off.

Ah, Skype would probably be fun, if only my internet connection worked properly. Some days it seems to work fairly well, but other days it is almost unusable. My landlord is terrible. He never seems to get around to fixing anything. I can deal with no heat in the bathroom, an exhaust fan over the stove that doesn't work and leaks, and a door to the balcony that only shuts properly when it's been sunny for at least 5 - 6 days in a row, but internet -- that's something I want fixed -- and fast. Oh well, I'm planning to move in a while anyway.

I haven't been watching many movies yet, but I do review on my blog. However there are only three movies there so far and two of them are anime. I have watched one more movie, but I haven't gotten around to posting a review yet.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5028 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 47 of 58
16 June 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
@mrwarper
You were actually not one of the ones I was thinking of when I wrote, "disappears for a month." And I see no reason to kick you off the team unless you want to kick yourself off.

Then please don't, because I don't want to be kicked :) Still, even if you weren't thinking of me, I do quite precisely that disappearing for one month then coming back, especially since I don't do much forum reading any more.

Quote:
Ah, Skype would probably be fun, ... landlord is terrible. He never seems to get around to fixing anything. I can deal with ... but ... Oh well, I'm planning to move in a while anyway.

Well I always fix everything myself, so if I had / when I have a landlord I'd/I'll probably just do it and discount whatever a handyman/plumber/carpenter/whatever wages are from the rent the second time around.

WRT Sykpe , copyNpaste from my original post at Team Sputnik's log and subsequent comments:

----8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8< ;--------8<--------8<--------8<----
Apparently it isn't overly complicated to do that multiple call thing on Skype, so why don't we just schedule it weekly no matter what?

I think it could be done with some publicly appointed 'hosts' ... to take care of it in order of precedence so if host #1 can't (or won't) attend some day, #2 takes over and so on. Once the host is on air (as per schedule, unless stated otherwise here) any team members can join in. Of course, if any given day there's just two people and they don't feel like it, well -- no harm done.

Since there's no real obligation to do anything, I think putting up a little schedule like this could spark more casual interest in doing it, and in the end lead to more regularity. Just an idea, anyway.
once you get me talking I don't mind switching languages at all, except for what I'm actually able to say. I.e. I'm generally 'afraid' to speak, but not specifically to do it in Russian, so I'll be more than happy to 'snap out' of dull dialogues... once I work past them ;) ... others have problems that are solved by sticking to these dialogues, which is great, but it would also imply we need some schedule-bound work materials if we are to function as a team
I'd like to propose to have 'work material' posted here one week before every meeting (so everyone can work on it) and have it renewed every time it is actually worked on at the meeting (I expect we'll skip actual work a few times, especially at the beginning) Any other suggestions are of course welcome. Anyone?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6422 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 48 of 58
16 June 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure I would be able to subtract things from my rent so easily now that he's got an actual accounting service to handle things. Anyway, I don't feel like going through the hassle of finding someone to do all the work. As I said, the only thing that is really important is the internet. I even at one point, went for a week-and-a-half without hot water before he fixed the water heater. I'm not a big complainer. And since I will probably move as soon as I get this job I'm interviewing for next week (positive thinking), I'm not going to make a big deal of everything.

Your Skype idea sounds great, though I don't think you can count on me to host it at any time until I have reliable internet. I never know when it's going to work. So, I might try to join in, but I might disappear at some point in the middle when my connection disappears.

I'm generally very afraid to speak especially in foreign languages. I usually try to avoid speaking at all until I can do it reasonably well (typical Asperger). So, even scripted dialogues might be difficult, but I suppose I could try.

By the way, I hope you meant Japanese and not Russian. I'd definitely have trouble with that. ;)

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version