Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4706 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 97 of 138
22 March 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
There is no general protocol. It's more like do what you feel. I try to read everyone's log 'cause I like to see what they are doing, but if you like to follow only the ones who study Spanish that's okay, too.

We are here because we share a common interest in languages. Sometimes we hit a wall in learning our TL and then we need a word of encouragement and sometimes when we finally understood something or found something funny/interesting/etc. we can share that with the team, we also can ask for advice. And, in fact, that's it. How you want to do that and what you want to share is up to you. But be sure, there will always be someone willing to listen... :)

Edited by Mani on 22 March 2012 at 3:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gatsby42
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4442 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 98 of 138
22 March 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Awesome, thanks for the info.

If anybody reading this is learning Spanish, I'd like to extend an invitation to get a
Skype group going. Through voice chat we could practice our speaking and it couldn't hurt
to have people who you know are always eager to practice their Spanish. If interested, PM
me or post in here.

camdo2
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes

Message 99 of 138
30 March 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Is it too late for me to join in (as a few seem inactive)? I'm an A1 Spanish speaker hoping to make some progress, perhaps this will help me along!

Oh, and Gatsby42, I added you on skype (camdo2).

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4706 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 100 of 138
30 March 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I'd say never it's never too late. :) So welcome to the team.
Would be nice if you would create a log (and maybe PM me when you've done so, so I can link your log on the first side of this thread) and tell us something about yourself, your goals and your progress.

So good luck with your studies!

p. s. I hope there are not too many team members inactive, I prefer to think they are lazy updaters like me... ;)

camdo2
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes

Message 101 of 138
30 March 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:
I'd say never it's never too late. :) So welcome to the team.
Would be nice if you would create a log (and maybe PM me when you've done so, so I can link your log on the first side of this thread) and tell us something about yourself, your goals and your progress.

So good luck with your studies!

p. s. I hope there are not too many team members inactive, I prefer to think they are lazy updaters like me... ;)

Well, I live in Spokane, Washington and am a native English speaker. I like to play saxophone, bassoon, and piano in my spare time. I've been studying Spanish through tech blogs using learning with texts (and exporting them into Anki). After that, I've been running through Pimsleur (on number 3 atm). I'm also going to start going through a grammar work book (which I hope will be a major help, as I have trouble forming cohesive thoughts). I'm just hoping to learn Spanish at a good enough level to hold conversation as I have lots of hispanic family in San Diego (and here).

Thanks again, and I'll be posting a log then putting the link here.

Edited by camdo2 on 30 March 2012 at 11:41am

Gatsby42
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4442 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 102 of 138
30 March 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Welcome Camdo, it's always good to see a fellow Spanish learner. If you ever want to chat
or talk on Skype, don't hesitate to do so. If you're A1 now, you may be a little better
than I am, but I'm hoping to close that gap through programs like Assimil and Pimsleur.

cihlomorka
Triglot
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

15 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak, EnglishC1
Studies: Polish, Latin, FrenchB2, Persian, Italian

Message 103 of 138
08 April 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
I know this is all very inconvenient, but I would like to kindly ask you whether you would accept one more tardy soul on board... In my defense, I haven't been introduced to the How to Learn Any Language forum before yesterday and it took me some time before I got how everything works here, and what is this log business all about.
BUT essentially, I am someone who set out on a very same quest in the beginning of 2012 as well, and persisted (partly because I connected my language studies with moving to the target country), and the only thing that makes me different is I have been working all alone and lacking both interaction and support of a community. But than again, that's what finally brought me here. :)

To introduce myself, I am a Czech student in History, Latin and Medieval French Philology at the Charles University in Prague. Strange as it may seem, until quite recently the most advanced of my Romance languages has actually been - Latin. :) As I am currently majoring in Medieval Latin, I studied all its aspects, from the classical Latin to the three main pronunciation varieties, and I even partly managed to get it fluent and treat it as a living language (which is commonly required in our department, I am not a geek all alone!). My French was hanging somewhere around the A2 level, due to both lack of time and inconsistent studying approach (for a long time I have been actually better in reading 15th century texts in moyen français, which I know quite well, than in contemporary French :). That's why I decided to get the ball rolling and moved for one year to Paris. Ehm... I am maybe the only student at the Sorbonne University who ever entered without knowing how to fill in the forms. :) But finally, I made my way through and right now, I am quite a satisfied Parisienne pushing up fluency, approximately at the advanced B2 level. I am living with a French family, trying to lead everyday discussions in my field with French colleagues. What I would like to do before the end of my French anabasis (i.e. beginning of September) is to reach a solid C1 level (and, of course, make as many acquaintances as possible to hold it on...)

In the beginning of March I also took off in Italian. Something I would generally not recommend to others, as my fluency in French only started being settled by then, and dealing with two (in fact, three :) Romance languages at a time might always resolve in a tricky outcome. But in this case, I had no choice (because of the formal demands of my PhD., which I might fully explain in my log), and so far I manage quite well, applying carefully all tips and tricks for a simultaneous language learning I found (such as 70 + 30 percent approach or different techniques to separate both learning environments and associations to each). My aim in Italian is quite humble - to build up a language core and get it approximately to the B1 level by the end of this year. I want to take it slowly also because I would really like to sound correct, and get the things like stress and pronunciation right. It feels thrilling to follow the Romance language thread from the ancient beginnings to the nowadays outcomes...

Well, what shall I add? I suppose my Persian doesn't exactly fit here ;), and I fear I have rumbled on a bit (at least you can see I DO like writing), so I will end here.
If you decide to take me in, I will be definitely happy, but nothing actually happens if you don't (I will be "stalking" your logs anyway...;)
Wishing you a prolific spring! Vivatis, vireatis, floreatis!*

Carolina

Edited by cihlomorka on 09 April 2012 at 7:26am

cihlomorka
Triglot
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

15 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak, EnglishC1
Studies: Polish, Latin, FrenchB2, Persian, Italian

Message 104 of 138
08 April 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
I noticed here repeated demands for some good French TV shows/movies/books resources, and I will be glad to share some experiences on this subject as soon as I manage to set up my own log. As I was recently walking the same path, there are several things that popped in my mind... A plus!

This discussion contains 138 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version