Diglot
United States
Joined 4683 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 65 of 138
25 January 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
I also like the size of the group and its diversity and will try to be sure to read them all in the future. In fact, I will go and email subscribe them all right now...
1 person has voted this message useful

dearwanderlust
United States
youtube.com/dearwandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5072 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 66 of 138
25 January 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Hendrek wrote:
I also like the size of the group and its diversity and will try to be sure to read them all in the future. In fact, I will go and email subscribe them all right now...

I'd like to follow all of the team logs also. How can I email subscribe?

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4683 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 67 of 138
25 January 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
1. Go to the first page of this main log where all the links are listed
2. Open each link in a new tab or window
3. scroll to the bottom of the first page of each opened log and click "Watch this topic for replies"
4. Click OK on the pop-up box

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4916 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 68 of 138
25 January 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
dearwanderlust wrote:

You should automatically be subscribed if you comment on a log. Otherwise, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the link that says "Watch this topic for replies.". If it says "Unwatch this topic for replies.", that means you're already subscribed.

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5072 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 69 of 138
25 January 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
dearwanderlust wrote:

You should automatically be subscribed if you comment on a log. Otherwise, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the link that says "Watch this topic for replies.". If it says "Unwatch this topic for replies.", that means you're already subscribed.

Got it and Thank you!!!

Also, a question for the team. I've been studying Spanish for a minute and I'm about at the B1 range. I REALLY want to start studying French. Is it really such a bad idea to study two languages at the same time when first starting out. I have the time, materials and the motivation. I would love to hear your thoughts. If you do think it's a bad idea, specifically at what point is it okay to add the next language to my study schedule?

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5072 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 70 of 138
25 January 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Hendrek wrote:
1. Go to the first page of this main log where all the links are listed
2. Open each link in a new tab or window
3. scroll to the bottom of the first page of each opened log and click "Watch this topic for replies"
4. Click OK on the pop-up box

Thank you!!! :-)

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4690 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 71 of 138
25 January 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
There's a couple of discussions on how to do multiple languages around here. My
personal take, based on trial and error(s) ...

1. B1 is a good point to add another language

2. Try to use very different materials. If you do an audio course in one language
(Pimsleur, Michel Thomas) then do a work-book (FSI, Teach Yourself, Living Language) or
Assimil in the other.

3. Try to study them at different times of the day. I need a cognitive break between
languages - I can't jump from one to the other. e.g., study one over lunch, or while
commuting, and the other at home.

4. With all that, studying two languages at once is still a bad idea, but

5. ... almost all of us do anyway. And since you REALLY want to study French, and not
just sort of want to study French, then you should REALLY do it!

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 72 of 138
26 January 2012 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
I had a similar dilemma regarding starting Italian while still learning French (which was around B1 level at best at the time). I was going to Italy in two week's time so it was a no-brainer, I started, but unfortunately when I returned I was in love and wanted to keep going. However I decided that it would be better to hold off and just focus on French, and get that to a more advanced level (B2-C1) before starting Italian. While at B1 the language should be well enough established in your mind that you won't get confused, I thought that having a more advanced knowledge of French would make Italian easier to pick up, and more importantly, after reaching that level I'd be a better and more efficient language learner in general and so I'd be able to apply that experience to Italian. I think it was a good plan; resisting Italian's temptation for over a year was hard but I am indeed learning it fairly easily now (only thing really limiting me is lack of spare time) thanks to my knowledge French and learning from the mistakes I made learning it.

Of course I'm far from perfecting my language learning method, but learning Italian should contribute a lot to that as well, and when I start Spanish in a year's time it'll be even more efficient.

Anyway that's just my thoughts, basically I think that when you're learning your first foreign language you're also very much learning how to learn a language, so the more you develop that skill the more efficiently you'll learn future languages. Or in other words, once you've learned a language to an advanced level, you'll have a much clearer idea of how to learn a language to an advanced level. I'm sure some people will disagree though.

Edited by garyb on 26 January 2012 at 11:17am

This discussion contains 138 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version