imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4706 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 121 of 138
03 May 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Kerrie!

So it was as I feared a German sentence with English words.
(Consider yourself warned! - Betrachte dich als (=en.: as) gewarnt!)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 122 of 138
03 May 2012 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Haha. My German presently sucks. I'm working on it, but it seems so slow. I'm about 35 lessons into Assimil, and I feel like I've learned a lot, but it still seems like I can't produce anything. I guess it will come with time (and work), but it's frustrating. C'est la vie, ja? :D

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4706 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 

Message 123 of 138
03 May 2012 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Oui, c'est la vie. ;) (So ist das Leben.)

Unfortunately there will always be days like this when you mix up everything (and I've got such a day today).
Look, I'm learning English for over 20 years now and still there are times I'm so frustrated that I think I don't know any English at all! - That's usually when I start writing comments so each and everyone can see my poor skills. ;)
It's nice to have some native speakers around that answer my questions.

Merci beaucoup !

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 124 of 138
03 May 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I mixed it up on purpose. :D

I don't do that when I'm studying, but I make a game of it with my multilingual friends. My Bosnian friend speaks four languages, so I throw a lot of mixed-up English/Bosnian/German/Turkish at her just for fun.

I know, I'm weird. lol

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4706 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 

Message 125 of 138
03 May 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Oh, I mixed it up on purpose. :D

Oh, I knew that. I was rather selfishly talking about myself. :)

Kerrie wrote:
I don't do that when I'm studying, but I make a game of it with my multilingual friends. My Bosnian friend speaks four languages, so I throw a lot of mixed-up English/Bosnian/German/Turkish at her just for fun.

I know, I'm weird. lol

Nah! You've forgotten which kind of forum you've posted in, haven't you? There is nothing weird about that. It's completely normal. lol

No honestly, I have a Luxembourgian colleague of Portuguese parentage married to a Frenchman and she likes to talk. I have to deal with Luxembourgish/French/German/Portuguese/English/Italian words happily mixed together into a sentence. But here in Luxembourg it feels a kind of normal because so many people from different nations live and work here and somehow you have to communicate (especially when your French (which is the strongest foreign language here) still sucks).

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 126 of 138
03 May 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:

Nah! You've forgotten which kind of forum you've posted in, haven't you? There is nothing weird about that. It's completely normal. lol

No honestly, I have a Luxembourgian colleague of Portuguese parentage married to a Frenchman and she likes to talk. I have to deal with Luxembourgish/French/German/Portuguese/English/Italian words happily mixed together into a sentence. But here in Luxembourg it feels a kind of normal because so many people from different nations live and work here and somehow you have to communicate (especially when your French (which is the strongest foreign language here) still sucks).

Haha. Normal for here, maybe. Not really normal for where I live (in the midwestern US). Except for the Bosnian refugees I know (most of who speak varying degrees of English, German, and Bosnian), I only know a few Spanish speakers. Very boring!

I /do/ sometimes get things mixed up, especially between Spanish and Italian. And a lot of times, if I can't think of a word in the language I'm talking/writing in, I will fall back on Spanish or French before I fall back on my native language. (Is that weird?)

But for the most part, I don't mix them up too much. I've actually gotten to the point where my brain can process more than one language simultaneously - if I'm listening to one of my lessons in French, have Spanish music on in the background, and one of my kids starts talking to me in English, my brain can still process them all. Which is a big leap forward from even a few months ago, when I had to tune everything out to focus on whatever language I was actively studying.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5010 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 127 of 138
03 May 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:

About your call, do you think it would be compromising if I'd mark the ones who haven't posted for a while on
the first post of this thread? Saying something like: "No update or participation in a members log since (don't
know) 1 March 2012." So that we know who's still around?

The forum software only allows you to edit your own posts for a certain period of time. (Does anyone know how
long?) So - unless you know that the self-edit feature is enabled for a whole year - there's a risk that you might
make the change now, and then find that, if the "dropouts" return to the fold later on, that you're unable to edit it
again to indicate that they're again active.

(As an example, I myself was inactive for several months last year, and only returned in the latter half of the year.
)

It may be better just having periodic updates on this thread, as Kanewai has done, and adding a note to your
main "members list post" saying something like: check page "x" of this thread for an updated list of members
still active as of May. You can later add: check page "y' of this thread for an updated list of members still
active as of August...etc.   

Edited: to correct typo.

Edited by songlines on 04 May 2012 at 3:27am

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4706 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 

Message 128 of 138
04 May 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Hm, I think it's different in the language logs I remember reading something about it.

Yes, here it is. In the technical room LanguageSponge asked something about Editing the first post of a log or thread and Meramarina quoted the administrator (I'll quote her complete post):

meramarina wrote:
Yes, I just looked this up because I recalled what ellasevia just wrote. When this issue was originally discussed, the adminstrator had written:

Quote:
unless you have a long trail of offensive posts behind you, you can now edit all you posted in the Language Logs and Collaborative rooms

So perhaps we have a bug here.

So I looked at my log entries (1st entry made 1 July 2011) and I can still edit them all, so I think I could regularly update the first post telling who's active and who isn't.

Edited by Mani on 04 May 2012 at 2:41pm

This discussion contains 138 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version