Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 9 of 58
02 January 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
For learning the Hiragana, I found it useful to write them out. I learn better if I write things, than if I just try to learn to recognize them, though some people are fine with just recognition. I also tried to write out words and sentences and always wrote out exercises from my book. I learned it very quickly, just a day or two, so it worked well for me. And since I always wrote a lot of exercises and things when I was studying, they stuck well and I never forgot them again, even in the times when I went several years without studying Japanese.

1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 10 of 58
02 January 2012 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
I wrote them out once, but for some reason I didn't learn it. I'll try it tomorrow again, since you mentioned it, though. I learned today:
2 hours relearning the first four lessons of Remembering the Kanji 1
2 hours of Spanish words on memrise.com
watched 55 minutes of anime in Spanish dub.
(First Stike)
Now that's better compared to yesterday. I'm kinda satisfied now.

Edited by Takato on 03 January 2012 at 11:59am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 11 of 58
03 January 2012 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
I wrote them out once, but for some reason I didn't learn it. I'll try it tomorrow again, since you mentioned it, though.

Once is not likely to be enough. You have to do it many times. But, you don't have to just keep writing out the kana in order like we did with the alphabet in kindergarten. Try copying out some sentences from your book. Then try writing down the words and phrases you've learned without looking in the book and check them afterward.

I wrote a lot since I wrote out most of my exercises. That's probably what helped me. Of course, the first week or so, I would forget how one of the hiragana was written now and then and would have to check against my chart, but that got better fairly quickly.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 12 of 58
03 January 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the idea, Brun Ugle. Then I'll try to do it for many hours tomorrow. Nihongo Notes 1 contains some dozens of sentences in hiragana. It'll be enough, you think? (I'll write every sentence many times, of course, because it wouldn't even take one hour to write them once.) Or should I search for my Japanese Phrasebook? I intend to do it for six hours.
The fact that g-bod picked up French seems to be a proof that one is allowed to pick up some new languages, so I picked up Esperanto to see how much time does it take me to learn it. And I'll taste some Mandarin.
I learned today:
1 hour 40 minutes from Nihongo Notes 1
1 hour 15 minutes from the Free Esperanto Course
30 minutes of tone training.

The postman gave the Spanish Pokemon Blue cartridge today at 10 AM. :D I only have to buy a Gameboy Color... -_-"

Edited by Takato on 04 January 2012 at 3:55pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 13 of 58
03 January 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
fortheo wrote:
Welcome aboard!! JLPT N2 is a tough goal, I wish you the best in your studies!!

I second that! Even N3 would be a tough goal, I think. Give it your best!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 14 of 58
04 January 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Thanks for the idea, Brun Ugle. Then I'll try to do it for many hours tomorrow. Nihongo Notes 1 contains some dozens of sentences in hiragana. It'll be enough, you think? (I'll write every sentence many times, of course, because it wouldn't even take one hour to write them once.) Or should I search for my Japanese Phrasebook? I intend to do it for six hours.

I really don't know how much time I used on it since it was many years ago, but I think what was important was that I wrote a little every day. I find writing always helps me to remember things. In college, I used to take notes, but almost never read them again, just writing it don't made it stick in my memory.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 15 of 58
04 January 2012 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your N2 goal! You've certainly got your work cut out for you! I think you'll get there, though.
Like you said, aim high and you'll finish high. It's my philosophy too, as I have similar goals.

Even though I can recognize characters by sight easily, I still like to write them out, and not just for the stroke
order. In addition to recognition, they make writing Japanese seem much more natural, and faster. Writing will
never go out of style, methinketh :)

Best of luck!

fortheo
United States
Joined 4848 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 16 of 58
05 January 2012 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Learning the Kana is best done in chunks. For example learn five, write them out, then review and repeat till you finish all of them. Also, if you want more practice just copy some of the sentences from your book :)

best of luck!

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version