Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 57 of 58
15 October 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Fansubbing sounds so impressive! I never even thought about that one :) [...] Are you considering doing full-time subbing for Japanese too eventually?

Thanks! You should try it some day. ;) And yeah, when translating, I need to think of the meaning of all the words. Getting the gist is not enough, so it helps me improve.
I'll definitely do it with Japanese, too, but I need to get to a higher level first.
kujichagulia wrote:
I cannot understand how you study over three hours a day. I can't even get close to that, without absolutely giving up all interests other than studying languages.

It was summer break, so I had plenty of time. Watching one episode (21 minutes) required me to look up words for about 4 hours, so when I watched one episode it was already more than 3 hours learning for that day.

I have spent most of my time thinking about how I'll move to New Zealand, so this period of time wasn't spent so well language-wise. I restarted watching an anime that I stopped watching 2 years ago. I cleaned my laptop from unnecessary files and moved the necessary files to a sensible structure. I thought of visiting Berlin/London for a week or so, but then I guess visiting expensive places like those are not for the Eastern European.

I registered at the library of the college of New Danube City and found a good amount of Japanese lingual books, so I got a phrasebook for myself. The elementary textbook seemed too easy so I think a phrasebook would be more efficient for filling in the holes in my knowledge. By the way the other language books are almost all Russian/German/English.

Lingual study on 28.09 - 14.10:
25 minutes Japanese anime. It wasn't too easy, hence the phrasebook.
36 minutes phrasebook (it's a Hungarian-Japanese one)
90 minuts Elementary Vietnamese

Edited by Takato on 15 October 2012 at 2:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 58 of 58
04 January 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
2012 TAC sum up
Divided by languages

Chinese 263 h 10 min
reading
124 h 6 min
writing
15 h 59 min
textbook
24 h 44 min
listening
17 h 35 min
vocab
73 h 3 min
grammar
6 h 26 min
pronunciation
1 h 17 min

I wouldn't have thought that Chinese would be the language I learned most in 2012. I'm glad I did it. My written comprehension has significantly improved. I can understand like 50% of the text in a subtitle. The vocab time above is made up of mostly hanzi, so I'll have to learn sentences if I want to do some writing (which above is made up of mostly hanzi as well), since it seems if I learn the hanzi only, with some words, then lack of context makes me use them wrong.
Takato wrote:
I wrote 你知道一个很难语 [...] (instead of) [...] 你会一种复杂的语言

So I also learned that it's better to do chat only if I can construct basic sentences well, which wasn't the case this year, due to prioritizing written comprehension.

Vietnamese 84 h 45 min
grammar
1 h
listening
19 h 49 min
textbook
62 h 33 min
writing
54 min
reading
19 min
vocab
10 min

Vietnamese was the language that made me understand how tones work. I started to learn it with a textbook. I like it that a book doesn't require me looking at the monitor and that it has audio. It also makes the progress seen more easily, due to having chapters. Also, whenever I use a textbook, I'll be adding the words to Anki so I don't forget the words when going to the next chapter, and going back to a book after a short time gap will be easier. I forgot most Vietnamese words because I didn't think of it earlier. ._.
That one hour grammar also made me realize that - at least for me - grammar is no good early on. Maybe it'd work if I added the sentences in the grammar book to Anki, but I like to read grammar so much more when I already know a significant amount of the content due to previous experience in the language.
As I like how it sounds, I plan to return to Vietnamese sooner or later, maybe when I have solidified a learning schedule.

Japanese 76 h 10 min
translating
9 h 57 min
grammar
13 h 38 min
listening
12 h 4 min
vocab
7 h 50 min
reading
3 h 50 min
kanji
24 h 34 min
writing
4 h 17 min

Having been on Team い, Japanese got in the top 3. I loved reading the grammar books but I surely have a way to go for vocab and I should attempt to speak it in the near future.
I can say that my grammar got better and I learned some phrases, but the latter is probably due to having learned Chinese with anime. After pausing the video and translating a line, I knew the meaning and could focus on the Japanese speech following it.

Spanish 47 h 4 min
writing
4 h 50 min
vocab
2 h
listen
23 h 17 min
game
7 h 7 min
reading
9 h 50 min

On the beginning of the year, I needed to use Google Translate on almost any sentences I wanted to write, while now I only need it occassionally, when chatting, so it certainly got better. I get the gist of most of the Spanish dubbed/subbed anime as well, so I'm satisfied with the level I reached. I don't intend to burn my knowledge, I will continue learning it, but I don't think it'd be too interesting to document it so I'll do it in the background. It's okay if it only advance slowly.

I tasted Esperanto (10 h 12 min), Thai (6 h 11 min), Portuguese and French somewhat, used German a bit to stop it from fading away (and  English).
From these languages, I will try to learn Esperanto and Thai sometime, but they're not a priority. I guess it'll be Portuguese that wins, because I like how it sounds. French is definitely for later if ever.

Language learning overall 487 h 32 min

I was certainly amused by the language wanderlust so I'm glad I chose to do them. I undoubtedly developed a love for the Chinese language.
I'm not very satisfied with how much time I spent on Japanese so the beginning of TAC 2013 will be a good time to change that.
I guess I'll just need to concentrate on my focus language(s) more if I want to make the most improvement in them.

It was nice to be a part of the TAC. I was passed down the knowledge of what others think of my actions and I had the honor of getting acquainted with others' methods as well.

Edited by Takato on 04 January 2013 at 8:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version