Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 33 of 58
14 June 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Looking back at that time, it's surprising how close it was to my average during the 6 Week Challenge of May. I was learning with a mean of 2.73 hours in the last six weeks (115 hours in total). It was Mandarin. I got my Android phone on last Thursday, so I can look up Chinese characters much easier now, for this reason that's great! :D But I realised I can't write the characters which I know by heart by now, so I think it'd be advisable to fill that notebook with 汉字. I know Benny Lewis haven't learnt how to write them, but it'd feel weird to be able to read Chinese texts with ease but unable to write basic sentences by hand. When I have many things to do, I usually waste my time instead of doing my thing, so I'll be liberated from the exams next Thursday, therefore I'll be spending my time better from that time onward, which is going to result in greater progress hopefully.
Sunja wrote:
busy with all your languages?

I've been learning only Chinese for those six weeks, as a result I didn't get myself busy with a lot of languages lately. I'm going to try to put off Vietnamese for seven weeks and get back to learning Japanese. I'll use the kitsunekko subtitles, so I'll probably get better results than when I was trying to understand what they say just based on what I hear them pronounce and putting it to Google Translate (and using Rikaichan, of course). I'd like to use RTK as well, the only question is when to use it. I often went though the Mnemojojo cards after waking up or before going to sleep, so I think replacing the former one with learning from the RTK book would be a good idea. Making flashcards of it more consistently should be done as well. I shall execute my plans better, too. That's for today. I'm going to stack some Zs now.
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 34 of 58
18 June 2012 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Great results with the 6 week challenge! It's always so interesting to hear about
Mandarin/Cantonese, because I hope I will try to know this language in the near future.
I'm just too much in love with Japanese right now, lol, so no plans whatsoever until I
feel good about Japanese, and Russian, which has been slow going.

Looking forward to see more posts on your progress, so keep it up!

がんばってね!

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 35 of 58
23 June 2012 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
@Sunja&Woodsei: Thanks. Your opinion means a lot to me.

I had my last exam on Thursday, so now I can live for languages. :)
Yesterday I read two paragraphs looking up hanzi and it took 1 h 54 minutes. ._.
Reading 23 lines in a subtitle in Japanese took 37 minutes.

I was hoping for some non-ecchi anime when I saw a PV of Tari Tari. There was no subtitle for it, so I had to rely on visuals and what I understood of what's said. ._. Then this part came. They pronounced 開始 like kaishi. :D (The Chinese transcription for 開始 goes like kāishǐ.)

I finished my deck for very basic Chinese in 1 hour and 7 minutes today. :D

It contains about 650 words.

I realized reviewing itself takes little time. Only remembering new words takes more time.
I spent 2 hours and 21 minutes reading two more paragraphs today and it was smoother compared to yesterday because I was able to recognize the personal names.

I went through the lines anew in 26 minutes. It was so difficult to learn Japanese words that I gave up after 19 minutes. I think it'd be a better choice to learn them in sentences. I put them to Anki.

Edited by Takato on 24 June 2012 at 12:52am

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 36 of 58
27 June 2012 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
26.06 finished reviewing the first 15 lessons of RTK. :D There were options of choosing to get some cards to see after about 14 days, 2.7 months or 6.3 months. ._. What's cramming in Anki? A lot of cards came up twice while cramming. It must have been some kind of mistake. Choosing limit did work well, though. And maybe the mistake was because of a crash, I don't know.
27.06 Read the book until kanji 619.

Edited by Takato on 27 June 2012 at 11:59pm

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 37 of 58
08 July 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Kitsunekko is down!!! 囧
28.06-08.07
I have learned ten hiragana, so I now know all. :D
I learned all katakana, doesn't mean I know them, though.
I only learned a few hundred Chinese words and about 120 Japanese, so I think it'd be better to make a post each day of what I did. Not only that, I must learn at least 100-100 words/漢字 in Japanese and Chinese each day, else I must bow my head in shame. I don't like the idea of being able to learn Japanese/Chinese/Vietnamese to a decent level only by 2014 or something... I've probably started learning Japanese too much years ago, even... (from 2009 october/november onward)
I watched Nazo no Kanojo X and some new anime with Spanish subtitle. I somewhat like the word "morón". :D Nothing beats お前, though.
I want to learn the pronunciation of 汉字. I haven't learned too much of them. ._.

兎に角(とにかく) seems overused once I have it learned. O_O I hear it often.
I like あんた. Heard it twice yesterday. ^^
I'm wondering if making a separate deck for Japanese songs is a good idea. I think all Japanese words can go into one single deck.
運命的 is awesome. It preserved the 的 (which is a Chinese particle used after an attribute). (I don't know if it came from Chinese but it's the same kanji in it, too.)
After knowing some hundred kanji, learning Japanese is more amusing. :D
For those wondering why Heisig teaches rare wood names: some consider the first Japanese radio drama to has been 桐一葉.

Edited by Takato on 08 July 2012 at 1:45am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 38 of 58
19 July 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
It's impressive that you're doing Japanese and Chinese at the same time. And a couple
hundred words total a day at that, too. And yes, reviewing takes a fraction of the time
if you know things already. I understand what you mean by wanting to be better than
decent in a couple of years. My problem here too, and I already am impatient.

Did you start watching a new anime called Hyouka? I love it. Some may think it boring,
but I find the mix of mystery and daily slice of life experiences of high school students
in that story fascinating. And the main character isn't a typical guy, either. The first
couple of episodes will seem slow, but it'll pick up after that. I really enjoy it, so I
thought I should recommend it. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Woodsei on 19 July 2012 at 7:39am

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 39 of 58
24 July 2012 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
a couple
hundred words total a day at that, too

What I want to do does not necessarily resemble what I do. Well, usually it does not resemble it.
I only looked at some song lyrics, found an app for android called obenkyo which I can learn Japanese with and which I've written some hiragana with (well, I only like it because of the handwritten test feature, I guess), reviewed RTK kanji, learned 67 more and read some of Tae Kim's grammar guide.
Woodsei wrote:
Did you start watching a new anime called Hyouka? [...] I really enjoy it, so I thought I should recommend it.

I didn't, but then I'll check it out. I started watching Sword Art Online, though. It's about people playing in an MMO virtual game. If they die in the game, they die in reality, too. If they beat all one hundred levels of the game, they win their freedom. The plot contained surprises for me, so I'd say it's unpredictable, and the third episode was very touching, so I recommend this anime, then.

Edited by Takato on 24 July 2012 at 2:38am

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 40 of 58
10 August 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Started to learn Toki Pona and Thai. I think it's probably as useful learning Toki Pona prior to learning East Asian languages as learning Esperanto before learning a western language. Maybe it's more useful to learn Toki Pona since it takes less time to learn it (made up of one hundred odd words)?

I think it's a good idea not to think of all what's to be done, but to do the things which are well known to be done. Well, doing the easiest things is probably the best choice. Like studying Chinese characters but not learning their pronunciations. One would probably think that reading Chinese is easier because there is only one reading for a hanzi for the most part, but in reality, it's not as easy to learn "qiè" as learning "tímido" /teemeedo/ or "sheu" /shoy/ (each one means shy, in Chinese, Spanish and German, respectively). I also think some things are to be further examined, like whether on readings of kanji are based on Cantonese or Mandarin, if different characters with the same phonetic part in hanzi make the character to be pronounced the same way, how well the phonetic parts are incorporating the pronunciation in the hanzi, and other useless stuff. I want that they not be examined for the sake of examining, but they be accidentally, somewhat unconsciously thought of and picked up on the go. There doesn't seem to be too much use of examining them.

I want to discard the use of English for the sake of weaker languages.

I found if I wake up before the sun does, I learn more hanzi, although when there's motivation, it's almost indifferent what the lumosity is.

The YellowBridge site states this:

Top 250   characters      ; 64.4% sp;    57.1%
Top 500   characters      ; 79.2% sp;    72.1%
Top 1000 characters      91.1% sp;&nbs p;   86.2%
Top 1500 characters      95.7% sp;&nbs p;   92.4%
Top 2000 characters      97.9% sp;&nbs p;   95.6%
Top 3000 characters      99.4% sp;&nbs p;   98.3%

I tried to do it by learning the most frequent 1500 characters with Anki, but it's just not the way for me. I couldn't beat RTK, either. I think it could be the context what helps. I know which meanings are, say genuine? Something like that. With regards to RTK, it makes more sense to have a few English words to have a clearer idea as to what the meaning of the character is, right? I used the Hungarian version but it contained unknown words for me (I'm not talking about ri or rin).

So I'm taking out the characters from context and put them to Anki each one separately. I'm not putting there sentences having to learn like 10 things at once (if the sentence is 5 characters long and I learn the pronunciations, too, not just the characters then it's 10 things, although one should regard that there are hanzi combinations which don't make up self-explanatory meanings).

I browse almost only English web pages, so it's not unbelievable that I'm mostly thinking in English, I guess. Well, of course I'm thinking in Hungarian at times I toke to my mother. I mostly talk to my brother in Hungarian, too. So, I'll try to think in something else, although I don't have high hopes for that.

I'll try to breathe Chinese till the end of the 6 week challenge from now on. I'll try to get rid of English apart from looking up hanzi and what not. Say, I'll try not to search for information regarding how similar/different Cantonese and Mandarin are, what Shanghainese is, how do tones work in African languages and what not.
I'm not going to give up/put to rest/back burner Thai, though. I'm going to learn it daily 30 minutes. I find it actually interesting to see how I can get the most out of daily 30 minutes.

Edited by Takato on 10 August 2012 at 1:05am

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version