Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4861 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 17 of 58
07 January 2012 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
@Arekkusu: Thanks, I'll try what I can. ^^
@Brun Ugle: Then I guess I shouldn't want to do it for many hours in one days but for 1 hour each day. In that case there would be more chance that I'll start it...
@Woodsei: Thank you for the luck! If luck will be by my side then I'll certainly pass the exam. By the way I appreciate your using idioms, however, I'm currently not in the mood of learning Old (or Middle?) English, so please keep the language in Modern English, or in case you can't refrain from using more complex verb conjugations, use German.
@fortheo: I don't know but you may be right. I learned maybe the first third of hiragana the way you described and I don't have struggle with them. The ま and な rows are another questions. And thanks for the luck to you as well. Looks like my luck-o-meter is increasing. :)

The last days were like this:
1 h 36 min Spanish dubbed Speed Grapher
43 min Remembering the Kanji review

2 h 13 min nihongo notes
1 h 5 min reading Making Sense of Japanese

1 h 8 min learning from Remembering the Kanji
1 h 30 min Free Esperanto Course

I found this video about Chinese characters very artistic and creative. You might want to take a look at it as well.
I realized that I only needed to kill the rust off my Gameboy Pocket to be able to play Pokemon, but after a dozen seconds I also realized that its display has got such vertical non-working lines which can't be enlivened without a technician, and what is more they hide the first characters of the lines from me, so I'll buy the Gameboy Color tomorrow if nobody buys it before me. If someone else buys it beforehand, I'll have to buy a more advanced console (Gameboy Advance SP in particular) with frontlit. The latter one costs three times as much, though. A one with backlit would cost even more.
I realized that some of the kanji being online at random places became understandable for me, so I see that it's worth proceeding with Remembering the Kanji.
Rikaichan (which is a Firefox plugin translating Japanese words taking context into consideration) seems to be as awesome as MoBiMouse. I consider her real awesome. Alongside with anime transcripts (or even with Ameba or any Japanese text really) she must be the real thing. Now I only have to reduce the amount of time of using my laptop for time-killing.

Edited by Takato on 07 January 2012 at 3:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5795 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 18 of 58
07 January 2012 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
I think when I started learning hiragana, I did it by remembering to write them out in order, like an ABC, and added one or two rows of 5 characters at a time. Once I could write them all out in order, I made some paper flashcards to review them regularly over a couple of weeks. Then I think I discovered Anki, Genki, and the rest is history...

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5898 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 19 of 58
07 January 2012 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I read a bit from nihongo notes and it looks interesting!

It's fun reading Heisig's meanings into the language. I've used it as a reference many times while learning the on and kun readings. Sometimes I had trouble because I'd remember part of Heisig's story/memory aid instead of the meaning itself -- sometimes it's a stretch to bring the two together!

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4861 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 20 of 58
08 January 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
I found a good resource for kana learning. It makes me write every kana twenty times and it has quizzes also, which I find valuable. I guess I'll go through this material and then write the phrases in kana for practicing.
I decided to start playing Pokémon anyway. I could not resist. I've beaten Brock. xD
I printed the Jouyou kanji to be able to see the progress, but I don't know how to indicate it. Just circling the learnt ones is not really seeable. Any idea? Does it even make sense?
@Sunja: You mean you used RTK 1 only for reference? By the way it happens to me, too, that I remember the story but not the keyword. In the following two days I make myself remember it, though. Nihongo Notes is more readable than a phrase book, so it sticks better, in my opinion.

3 h 7 min playing Pokémon Azul
1 h 20 min learning hiragana
52 min Remembering the Kanji

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5898 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 21 of 58
08 January 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
@Sunja: You mean you used RTK 1 only for reference?

Yeah. I'm ashamed I didn't finish! I got through half of it once but I was so eager to read Japanese that I started reading and looking up kanji only when I needed a "story" to help me remember it. I have the book which has both a radical and stroke index. I can use it just as I would a kanji dictionary.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4610 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 22 of 58
12 February 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
Yeah, the stories sometimes pop in your head rather than the meaning. Happens to me still, but I find that
after reviewing, by the second time maybe, the meanings will stick, and the stories will go.

Good luck there!

Edited by Woodsei on 12 February 2012 at 6:34am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6433 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 23 of 58
12 February 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:

I decided to start playing Pokémon anyway. I could not resist. I've beaten Brock. xD

Don't know who Brock is, since I've never played Pokemon, but congratulations!

Takato wrote:

I printed the Jouyou kanji to be able to see the progress, but I don't know how to indicate it. Just circling the learnt ones is not really seeable. Any idea? Does it even make sense?

Would using a highlighter work? I'm assuming this is some kind of chart and that you could just highlight the kanji you know, and eventually the whole chart would be pink (or yellow, or green, or whatever).

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5641 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 24 of 58
12 February 2012 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

Takato wrote:

I printed the Jouyou kanji to be able to see the progress, but I don't know how to indicate it. Just circling the learnt
ones is not really seeable. Any idea? Does it even make sense?

Would using a highlighter work? I'm assuming this is some kind of chart and that you could just highlight the kanji
you know, and eventually the whole chart would be pink (or yellow, or green, or whatever).

That was going to be my suggestion as well. So you can still read the kanji but a larger area would be colored in so
it would stand out nicely.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version