Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 25 of 58
12 February 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys for bumping my thread! It made me really happy! T.T I don't think I would continue to post on my log if you didn't do it. Highlighting the learned kanji is a good idea, too.

About my progress of January, which I haven't posted yet:

2,5 h listening to Vocabulearn. Well, it seems to work to a 80%-90% retention rate, but it doesn't feel to be effective, thus I won't listen to it.
1 h listening to dual audio. (A short sentence or a part of a long sentence said in Japanese, then in Spanish, then do the same with 10-15 other sentences or sentence parts.) I could learn this way that kibou means hope, korosu means kill, and many other words without the need of looking up meanings. I used my favorite anime (Death Note) for this experiment, and I found it enjoyable. I can't comment on its efficiency, but it doesn't count at all in case it's enjoyable.

1 h reading Making Sense of Japanese
1 h listening to dual audio (This time with Japanese and English, since I know English better than Spanish. I don't wanna look up Spanish words, because it would really decrease its enjoyability.)

30 min Remembering the Kanji
1h 3m learning vocabulary by non-electric flashcards. It seems to be efficient, but I can't enjoy it, so I won't continue to do it.
27m listening to Death Note episode 1. Well, I just wanted to know if I can understand something without subtitles. Yes I can, but it isn't enough at all.

55m Remembering the Kanji

10h listening to radio passively
2h chatting with native speaker, whose name is Haruhi
30m writing a Lang-8 entry

1h listening to radio actively
2,5h Remembering the Kanji

1h chatting with Haruhi
24m anime
2h 45m Making Sense of Japanese

48m anime
4h 25m Made sense of Japanese. xD At least I finished reading it. It was worth it, because of the new knowledge of Japanese I acquired. Verbs describing the same deed in rude and humble ways (like giving and receiving upward or downward) was a rather new aspect for me, and the passive, causative and passive-causative tenses were well explained.

23m Highschool of the Dead
24m Rou Kyuu Bu! with Spanish subtitles

1h chatting with Haruhi
4h playing Need for Speed Most Wanted in Spanish. Not an efficient way of acquiring knowledge because this game doesn't contain too many texts. The word repeat themselfs (i.e. are repeated) many times, though, so it gives me mostly slang and car racing terms.

23m Highschool of the Dead

1h passive listening to radio
2h 45m translating a song from Japanese to English. The title is Haruka and the band is SCANDAL. It was an awesome feeling to translate it, and I really could translate it (maybe with 2-3 big mistakes in the whole text, but since I constructed a translation making sense almost completely, it surely is a great way for me). There were many many unknown words, which means that I really can better my knowledge this way.
That must be my way of learning a language, since it was enjoyable to learn English that way. I visited English classes in high school for four years, with three classes weekly as an average, so it's a lie that I've only been learning English on my own, but at least it's true that I learned many words by means of listening to music, watching anime, visiting English sites and chatting with random speakers (so I don't know how many of them were natives, they were supposedly mostly just some random kids playing Naruto-Arena).
On a side note I note that mondhatom=言える, where "hat" and "え" means "can", so if Brun Ugle is still interested in me comparing Hungarian grammar with that of Japanese, I think it was worth to mention it. I hope my lack of knowledge in Japanese doesn't make my comparison worthless. :S

Edited by Takato on 12 February 2012 at 8:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 26 of 58
12 February 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Thanks. I love to read about comparisons of Hungarian and Japanese grammar. Actually, I almost started studying Hungarian after hearing this song. The link was posted somewhere on this forum by Kisfroccs, I think. When I heard it, I immediately wanted to start learning Hungarian. Fortunately, I was able to restrain myself. I really can't begin on a new language now. However, I haven't listened to the song again, just in case I can't control myself next time. It's kind of like Odysseus and the Sirens. This is my siren-song.

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 27 of 58
16 March 2012 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
I know that I don't post too often, but my frequency of posting will increase soon, I promise!

I was doing the 6 week challenge in Vietnamese. Why Vietnamese? Because that's not amongst the major studied languages in my community, it has got tones, and is written with Latin alphabet. Now that can be seen as distraction or I could say that the world has changed so that this was necessary. Everyone will perceive it as they want.

I've learned 73 hours and 34 minutes of Vietnamese. I learned for 15 days some hours each day, but after that I only learned every now and then, so from the 6WC I learned that
- I'd be better off learning at least 30 minutes each day
- If I don't have anything by my side apart from my Vietnamese text- and notebook, my notebooks of the college, my cell phone and my iPod, then I'll learn Vietnamese, since that's the most interesting thing for me, so I really only need to make my laptop broken in order to increase my learning hours
- Tones are not a threat, one only has to learn it the right way, maybe...
- I should use Mnemojojo on my phone, since there is considerably much time which I have nothing to do in (like breaks between classes, or traveling hours)

My progress in the last 1,5 month
2 hours translating a song.
6 hours listening to songs.
5,5 hours reviewing kanji.
I chatted with Haruhi.
I watched Highschool of the Dead episode 2-7, so that's 2 h 24 min.
I watched a 2 hours long movie called Passport to Love.
It was a rather good movie, I think.
Listened to either Vietnamese songs or the CDs of the textbook for 14 h 25 min.
Learned from the textbook called Elementary Vietnamese for 59 h 6 min, finishing roughly 7,5 lessons.

It took 54 minutes to answer the Vietnamese persons' comments at Lang-8. It was quite hard. ._. Nevertheless, more and more Vietnamese people are giving friend requests to me...

By the way I ordered Continuing Vietnamese on 12 February on the British Bookdepository and I got it on 23 February so it took 11 days to be delivered from the UK to Hungary. It looked like this when it got delivered, and looks like this at the moment. I put a 1-Euro coin on top of the book, because some of you might know the size of the book better that way. Do you think €34.15 was a high price for the book? (It includes a CD, too, and shipping was free, since it's from BD.co.uk.)

I think it was worth learning Vietnamese, so I'll change my plans like this:

16 March through 28 April

General
Try to learn 30 hours each week. I don't know if I'll have the diligence of learning for so many hours. If no, then I'll try to increase the hours to 30 hours a week. A week should be considered starting with Sunday, like in traditional Christian calendars, because it would not be a good idea to finish the week with an unreliable day. On the other hand, Saturdays are usually the most reliable days. I'll try to post my progress at least weekly, on either Saturday or Sunday.

Japanese
Learn one lesson of Remembering the Kanji each day
I'll try to use Mnemojojo and Mnemosyne as well. Like 脊 on the question side and spinal column on the answer side.
I finished lesson 12 back in January, so I reviewed the first 12 lessons yesterday and put every Kanji into Mnemosyne. I tried to draw the kanji as well at a web page, but I could not write some of them. It could not recognize my written 脊. Could you please check it out for me? I hope the recognizer is flawless, and it's just that I don't know the right stroke order.
Make myself understand a song every five day
Most likely either from SCANDAL or Yousei Teikoku. That's 16, 21, 26, 31 of March, 5, 10 and 15 of April.

Vietnamese
Finish a lesson of Elementary/Continuing Vietnamese every three days.
It would be a great satisfaction to have them finished, and I bought Continuing Vietnamese. For that reason, I wanna go through that book as well. It even has Vietnamese literature in it! <3 Lesson 8 should be finished on 18 March, and so on.

Spanish
I'll watch daily at least 2 episodes of subbed anime and chat with Haruhi. I have no other idea for Spanish at the moment. I should better my pronunciation someday, though...

Esperanto
I did the first 5 lessons of a 10 lessons long course from 24 December to 24 January, so I want to finish that. I'll try to do the last 5 lessons on Fridays, so the sixth one on 23 March and the tenth one on 20 April.

Edit:
Would someone check me if I wrote this kanji the right way? The recognizer thinks it's a 喩, but the kanji in RTK looks more like my drawing. Both kanji mean simile, right?

Edited by Takato on 18 March 2012 at 12:42am

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 28 of 58
25 March 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
My progress on 16-24 March:

1 h 52 min watching anime
3 h listening to songs
10 h kanji
1 h 50 min translating songs
3 h 15 min lernu course
35 min LingQ
2 h 5 min Elementary Chinese language lessons at the site of China Radio International
1 h 55 min About Mandarin grammar
22 min About Mandarin pronunciation
36 min YouTube pronunciation classes

That constitutes this:
14 h 50 min
4 h 58 min
3 h 50 min
1 h 52 min
which is 25 h 30 min in total. These nine days were better than an average day of the 6WC, so I guess that's a good thing, but I learned no Vietnamese. However, I started learning Chinese. That's because there were some Chinese girls on italki wanting me as there language exchange partners. One of them is really cute. (^-^)b The Japanese one, however, rarely replies to my messages. o_o

Edited by Takato on 25 March 2012 at 9:50am

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 29 of 58
29 March 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
I chatted with a Chinese girl yesterday and the day before. It was really awesome. She even sang a song for me. xD However, we only said some Chinese words. Almost the whole conversation was in English. And god, didn't the surrounding people talk loudly with each other? Chinese people must like to communicate with shouts...

The reason why there wasn't real speech conducted in Chinese is that I haven't yet found a good way of learning Chinese using tatoeba and mnemojojo. Yesterday, however, I finally found a way. I put Chinese words and some expressions in pinyin and their English counterparts. When I'm done, I'll do it with hanzi on one side and pinyin on the other side of the cards.

Oh, and I gotta learn pinyin pronunciation, too, so I'll try to do it with mandarin.about.com.

Before I forget to mention, I tell you that hanzi and kanji seem to be very similar. The degree is said to be different if I ask different Chinese persons. Oh, and knowing some Japanese and Vietnamese do help in learning Chinese indeed. One might have wanted to make an East Asian language family, but as long as I'm concerned there's no such confirmed family, but they seem to be resembling to a certain extent. It might be obvious since neighboring countries like to be involved with each other, though.

Edited by Takato on 29 March 2012 at 3:11am

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 30 of 58
17 April 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
I use this for stroke order. I think it's great that someone pronounces the hanzi being looked up. Says what the radical part is, and how many stroke it is, too. Having statistics of acquired knowledge rather than spent time would probably motivate me to concentrate better on learning, and have less distractions, so I decided to declare the lingual elements I learned and give no real grasp of how much I spent with learning them. So my posts will change from tomorrow onward.

Progress on 25 March - 14 April:

3h 30m writing hanzi
21h 49m Speak Mandarin in Five Hundred Words is a really good book. It doesn't waste your time with long explanations and such, it just gives you a basic knowledge, as it seems. It's also good that it uses traditional hanzi, since it's easier to remember. It's said that simplified hanzi has the benefit that it's less time consuming to write by hand.
1h 38m China Radio International
8h Busuu
3h Tatoeba
2h Sekai wo
1h 22m Alumina
1h Vietnamese grammar
38m LingQ

So I spent 51.95 hours learning languages on these three weeks. That's 2.5 hours a day, so it's less than the 2.8 a day what I had done on the previous 3 weeks.

I've written one page of hanzi yesterday and the day before, so I wanna continue to do it.That's 522 character a day. There are some differences of stoke order in Chinese and Japanese by the way. For example in the writing of 田.

That's all what I've written in my notebook: page1, page2, page3
When looking at this, I was intantly thinking about what the stroke order is for it. xD I made a diagram for it, maybe I've mistaken the first and the second stroke, though:

I tried to do this today, but I only could do 5 minutes of the anime, because there was a sentence I couldn't understand... As for just watching it without subtitles, I could probably understand as much as I understood of Spanish subtitles when first trying them, so it would be promising, but I can't just give an mp3 to Google Translate, so I have to convert every spoken word into written ones manually, that's why it doesn't work so well...

Edited by Takato on 17 April 2012 at 10:29pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 31 of 58
19 April 2012 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
However, I started learning Chinese. That's because there were some
Chinese girls on italki wanting me as there language exchange partners. One of them is
really cute. (^-^)b The Japanese one, however, rarely replies to my messages. o_o

That was pretty funny, lol :D

I would love to start writing and speaking too, and soon! I looked at your Hanzi
pages...wow. Your handwriting is gorgeous. Although it cracked me up at the end with you
giving the digital "6" a strong order :)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 32 of 58
10 June 2012 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Are you still keeping busy with all your languages? You were juggling quite a bit there in April!

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version