Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4769 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 9 of 48
01 January 2012 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Interesting log teammate! I don't know anything about Georgian but that alphabet looks
very confusing(and beautiful). One thing about using peace core manuals, I have noticed
through looking through several of them that they seem to emphasize surface
communication, rather than actual fluency. Maybe read the Georgian one cautiously.
Anyway, good luck! Looking forward to following your progress.
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 48
01 January 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
Interesting log teammate! I don't know anything about Georgian but that alphabet looks very confusing(and beautiful).

It's really not confusing at all. Each letter represents one sound and really doesn't vary, although it looks like certain letters may be dropped in certain spoken instances.

Quote:
One thing about using peace core manuals, I have noticed
through looking through several of them that they seem to emphasize surface
communication, rather than actual fluency. Maybe read the Georgian one cautiously.
Anyway, good luck! Looking forward to following your progress.

Yeah, I'm not sure how useful the Peace Corps manual will be in the long run, but it's just a small piece to add to my arsenal.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 01 January 2012 at 8:56pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese

Message 11 of 48
03 January 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
I'm now completely comfortable with the alphabet.

So I've started on Lesson One in Kiziria's "Beginning Georgian". Dialogues have been fairly easy to follow. I've got about 60-65 words and/or phrases to learn from the two dialogues in the lesson. That shouldn't be too much for me to handle in the next couple days. I've only found one Georgian/Turkish cognate this lesson: ბინა/bina [apartment or building].

It's interesting, yet unsurprising, I suppose, that Georgian doesn't have a true "infinitive" form for verbs. I've seen mention here in these forums of Georgian dictionaries that list each person/tense separately, so when the time comes, I'll probably spring for a good dictionary. No need for that yet, though.

The "-ც" suffix for "too/also" is another familiarity for me. It's a similar construct in Turkish. The third-person singular enclitic "-ა" as well as "რა" + adjective are pretty easy concepts for me to grasp too.

That said, I'll probably spend three, maybe four days total on this lesson before completing the exercises.

I mentioned in my first post that I'd also be using accompl.sh to track my goals. Well, they currently have a challenge going on to complete 8 lessons of a foreign language course book within 30 days, so I've joined up on that challenge. I'm using the Kiziria course for that challenge.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 04 January 2012 at 12:02am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 12 of 48
07 January 2012 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I finished up Lesson One of the Kiziria course, completing the 5 exercises at the end.

I've started Lesson Two today. I don't have quite as much vocabulary this lesson, maybe 35 words or so.

As for grammar points, lesson two goes through singular forms of ხარ (to be - it's really "you are", since there is no infinitive). I'd already gone through some of this in the Peace Corps manual, but it's nice to see negatives covered so soon.

The preposition -ში (postposition, really, for "in", "at" and "to") is quite similar to Turkish, so that won't be a problem getting used to.

აი, for "this is" and "here is" is another easy concept for me.

I'm going to try and spend three days maximum on this lesson, hopefully two, then complete the exercises. My overall goal with the Kiziria course is to complete it within two months. There are thirteen lessons total, so I figure two lessons a week should be doable, provided I'm not thrown hugely complicated things down the road.

Edited by hrhenry on 07 January 2012 at 12:41am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 13 of 48
09 January 2012 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Today I found a pretty great site for Georgian pop music here.

One of the goals I've set for myself is to learn one Georgian song every month, so this site looks like it'll be put to good use.

Now I just have to go through the list and pick some songs out. Any suggestions?

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 09 January 2012 at 3:14am

shawns
Diglot
United States
Joined 5106 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Georgian

Message 14 of 48
09 January 2012 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
I saw in a Turkish book that "saat" is not actually of Turkish origin. Do you know what language it comes
from?

I've found that a frustrating number of Georgian sites won't load videos or music when accessed from non-
Georgian ip addresses. I'll check that music site out soon. I'd also recommend iptv.ge.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 15 of 48
09 January 2012 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
shawns wrote:
I saw in a Turkish book that "saat" is not actually of Turkish origin. Do you know what language it comes
from?

I've found that a frustrating number of Georgian sites won't load videos or music when accessed from non-
Georgian ip addresses. I'll check that music site out soon. I'd also recommend iptv.ge.

I'm pretty sure saat is of Arabic origin.

I'm in the US and can load the site fine. Haven't tried any video though, other than the links TixhiiDon provided above.

R.
==

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5954 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 16 of 48
10 January 2012 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
hrhenry, I wish you the best of luck this year with Georgian! I'm fascinated by the language and have wanted to study it properly for a long time, but other projects keep getting in the way. Anyways, წარმატებებს გისურვებ!

And just to confirm your suspicions, საათია is indeed originally an Arabic loanword. The fact that Georgian also shares in this Arabic vocabulary exchange (along with Persian, Swahili, Turkish, etc.) is yet another temptation for me...

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version