Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
48 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 33 of 48
15 February 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
It's that time of the month again... time to learn another song.

I was originally going to take Murdoc's suggestion and learn a song by 33a, but maybe I'm just in a different frame of mind for that particular style of music. I need something more uplifting for now.

So I've decided to go with another song by Mgzavrebi - თუკი საქართველო გიყვარს (If You Love Georgia). It's got a really infectious, upbeat chorus that's easy to sing. And the verses are mostly spoken (at high volume!), so I can jump around and dance and shout to it all. Good thing I live alone :-)

I'm taking a different approach to this song than last month's song regarding the lyrics. I can't seem to find the lyrics anywhere online, so this month's exercise will be to transcribe the song myself, then go through the translation process to learn the meaning.

Anyway... have a listen. I dare you to sit still while listening to the song.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 15 February 2012 at 11:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4769 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 34 of 48
16 February 2012 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Wow I love that! The video fit great with the music. Have you been to Georgia? Looks like
such a great country.

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4769 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 35 of 48
16 February 2012 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
How hard are you finding Georgian? What are you finding the most difficult?

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese

Message 36 of 48
16 February 2012 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
How hard are you finding Georgian? What are you finding the most difficult?

You know, everywhere I see in forums, what have you, I read that Georgian is super difficult. And I suppose it is. But I'm just plugging away at it, little by little. As long as I don't obsess too much over why things are constructed the way they are, I'm doing OK with it.

After my initial hesitation with Kiziria's dialogs - I thought they were kind of hokey - I'm now seeing the beauty in them. She's introduced a lot in a relatively short period of time. I'm now on lesson 9 out of 13 in the book and I've already hit present, future, past (as well as narrative for both future and past), aorist and optative past, among a lot of other useful adverbs and adjectives.

I wish there were more hours in the day, I suppose, but I'm doing fine for the amount of time I'm spending on it, which is 45 mins. to an hour a day. The other major conflict I have with Georgian is the fact that Turkish is really my main push this year, so that'll always be first on my "things to do today" list.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 16 February 2012 at 3:20am

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4769 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 37 of 48
16 February 2012 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Yeah more hours everyday would be a big help.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 38 of 48
22 February 2012 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Great song! Keep up with the studies and tell us how is it like to transcribe the lyrics.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5070 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 39 of 48
22 February 2012 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Studying Turkish and Georgian at the same time must be very interesting! I studied a little bit of Farsi once
and when I started Georgian I recognized a lot of Persian words. I'm sure it's very similar for you with Turkish.
It's especially interesting if you know Arabic, since many of the Turkish/Persian words are from Arabic. Like
for example you said saati comes from Turkish, and ultimately it's Arabic "ساعة". :)

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 40 of 48
23 April 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
I haven't written much about my progress with Georgian so far this year. One would think that I've dropped it, but I haven't. It's just going slow. And I really have no need for it to go any faster than it's been going. I only want to reach an A2 level, at most, in the language by the end of the year.

I've finished Kiziria's Beginner's Georgian. It's a good course, but maybe not the best "first" course I could have gone through. I'm now in the process of going through George Hewitt's Georgian: A Learner's Grammar. It's turning out to be a complicated, slow slog, but I'm getting through it.

I recently heard of a free resource here in Liddytime's thread: Peace Corps: Georgia.
I have to say, I wish I'd discovered this course before I started in with Kiziria's course. It's extremely easy to follow, albeit basic. I sort of liken it to a short Pimsleur course, in that it's very audio-oriented. They do go over the alphabet and writing, but the audio's the star of the course. The video podcast section is quite nice, too. They don't throw the entire alphabet at you in one lesson. They do it over three, and use simple, useful words to reinforce what you're learning. You're reading the letters/words on-screen as the tutor says them. I thought it was very well thought out. Overall, the course doesn't cover all that much beyond survival skills: names, numbers, days, food, places, and other things you might find in a basic phrasebook. It's not of much use to me now, but for someone with no exposure to Georgian, I highly recommend it. And you can't beat free cost!

In other Georgian news, I'm behind in my song-learning plans. I'm a month behind, actually. So in May I'll have to find two songs to learn in order to catch up. Not a big deal, but it's something else to consider.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 23 April 2012 at 11:44pm

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version