Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 41 of 48
23 April 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Nice to see you're continuing your studies. I heva to say, even though I post everyday, I'm not advancing quite fast. I might as well achieve an A2 level by the end of the year at the rythm I'm currently taking. Kiziria didn't bring much further either, though I decided to review it once.
1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6041 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 42 of 48
23 April 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
თუკი საქართველო გიყვარს!!!

ძალიან კარგიი!! I love it! I'm going to have to put the link on my blog. If you figure out the lyrics, do let me know...
the only thing I could figure out was "sakartvelo!"

Wow Turkish AND Georgian... you are quite the masochist! It is funny, even though they are from totally unrelated
language families I can see that there are influences on each other. It is probably just coincidence but "var" "I am" in
Georgian and "it is" in Turkish? The particles -da and -dan? ...does make ya go "hmmmmmm".

I am really glad I found the Peace Corps course. I tried Kiziria and found it way too accelerated for someone with
NO exposure to Georgian. I feel like I will be much better prepared after the PC course.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 43 of 48
23 April 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:

Wow Turkish AND Georgian... you are quite the masochist! It is funny, even though they are from totally unrelated
language families I can see that there are influences on each other. It is probably just coincidence but "var" "I am" in
Georgian and "it is" in Turkish? The particles -da and -dan? ...does make ya go "hmmmmmm".

I've been at Turkish now for about a year and a half, so my level's up enough where it's not going to hinder Georgian at all.

Most of the influences you see are from either Arabic directly or through Persian coming through.

R.
==

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5070 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 44 of 48
24 April 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:

The particles -da and -dan? ...does make ya go "hmmmmmm".

I don't remember where I read this so I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I
read somewhere that the -idan ending came from an older form where people combined the
ending -it and -gan, so eventually it turned into -idan.

hrhenry wrote:

Most of the influences you see are from either Arabic directly...

Really? I didn't know that! I just assumed most of the Arabic words got into Georgian
through Persian or Turkish. Interesting! :)

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese

Message 45 of 48
24 April 2012 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:

Really? I didn't know that! I just assumed most of the Arabic words got into Georgian
through Persian or Turkish. Interesting! :)

Doh! I was thinking of Turkish being the one influenced when I wrote that, not Georgian. You're right.

R.
==

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 46 of 48
15 January 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
I suppose I should at least give a 2012 review of my successes and failures with the
plans I had for Georgian.

Some of what I had in my plan were successful, while others were spectacular failures.

So, here it is:

* Learn the Georgian alphabet
Easily done in a couple days.

* complete "Beginner's Georgian" (Dodona Kiziria)
Completed, then repeated later on in the year. I was initially skeptical of the
dialogs, but they turned out to be well designed and helped a lot.

* complete "Georgian Language Beginner Program" (Peace Corps)
Completed. It was OK, but the Kiziria course was much more useful.

* learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month
Successful. I actually ended up learning 20 songs over the course of the year. There's
some great Georgian music out there, and much of it is a style that I would overlook
in other languages.

* start watching one Georgian TV show weekly over the internet
Failed. I never found a weekly show that held my interest.

* find a Georgian conversation partner and commit to weekly skype sessions
A failure, mostly. While I did find a couple conversation partners, it was never
consistent, and I found more than a few flakes.

* start to use Lang-8 to write in Georgian
Failed. I only used lang-8 once for Georgian, and it took well over a week to get a
correction.

* be able to follow a weather forecast for Georgia online and relay that information
Successful, over time. I didn't start to try this until about two thirds into the
year, and didn't feel comfortable with it until the last month of he year.

* be able to watch the nightly Georgian news and understand/relay information
Partial success. While I got to the point that I could understand a lot of news, I
don't think I could ever honestly say I could relay it, excepting in the most simple,
single claused form.

* watch at least 6 movies in Georgian (1)
A spectacular failure. Not finding a TV show sort of put me off to even looking for a
good movie.

* read a novel in Georgian
Another failure. I didn't feel I was far enough along to attempt it.

* complete "Georgian: A Learner's Grammar" (George Hewitt)
I didn't complete this book. I had a really hard time with it. The book frustrated me
to no end as a learning resource. It turned out to be a fairly good reference,
though.

One thing I added to the list list and completed later in the year was the Georgian
audio cousre on book2. I actually got a decent amount of vocabulary from the course.

I will also note that I will never again try to use a site like accompl.sh to track
what I'm doing. I don't know the age of the site, but it was new enough that it went
through two major revisions throughout the year, and the changes they implemented made
it difficult for me to use.

So, how do I think I did overall? Well, my goal was to get to an A2 level. I'm not
sure I got there. Certainly a very high and comfortable A1, but if I made it into A2
territory at all, it's not at all comfortable.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 15 January 2013 at 3:17pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 47 of 48
17 January 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Hi Rick, thanks for sharing. I must say I'm impressed by both your plans and your
achievements. You seem to have broken the ice when it coms to trying out native
materials. I have yet to take the courage to do this, even after 1 year of study - I
seem to have started before you, if I'm not mistaken. You might come back to Aronson's
book later on, don't worry, it does serve more of a reference than as a real textbook.
I'm not sure what zecchuino's and my own levels are. Tracinbg the boundary between A1
and A2 is sometimes a but too difficult, because we're all speaking of basic
competencies. Sometimes you know some stuff that is typical of B1 but there're still a
lot of gaps to be filled in that correspond to A1 vocabulary. This is true for complex,
alien grammars like Georgian.

Maybe it is time to read a translated novel in Georgian alongside with the English
edition, one you're familiar with, so that ou'll be able to compare the versions and
start to get the feeling of how Georgian is formed.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 48 of 48
17 January 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:

Maybe it is time to read a translated novel in Georgian alongside with the English
edition, one you're familiar with, so that ou'll be able to compare the versions and
start to get the feeling of how Georgian is formed.

I may do that in time. But I think I've decided to put Georgian aside for awhile...
let in simmer, I suppose.

I'll still review what I've already done, course and song-wise, so as not to forget
too much of what I've learned, much like I've been doing with Polish for the last
couple years.

My main priority, at least through February, is to prepare for my Turkish B2 exams.
I've also decided to take a further look at Ojibwe throughout the year, too. That's
proving to be a lot of fun, so far.

Nothing for TAC 2013, though (what ever happened to our team leader, anyway?) I'm sure
I'll participate in another 6WC. The one I participated in last year was quite helpful
to me!

R.
==

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version