teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 1 of 96
01 January 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
"Preparing for Lift Off in 2012!"

[ Artistic impression of Sputnik 1 (image by Gregory R Todd, source: Wikipedia) ]

Interesting resources - check.
Immersion support systems - check.
Killer methods and an amazing team of fellow linguanauts - check!
All systems are confirmed "go" for Teango in Team Sputnik, repeat, all systems are "go".
T-minus 10 seconds and counting...10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..hang on a minute...abort, abort! I haven't said anything about my language goals for 2012 yet...

LANGUAGE GOALS FOR 2012
(proficiency levels based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR)

Primary goals: Russian (from beginner to basic fluency)

I've ducked and dived in Russian over the last few years, but always seem to fall flat on my face. With the Olympics coming to London in 2012, what better time to come out of the corner fighting like a crazed Cossack, and prove the pundits wrong by coming home with the triglot title belt held high!

Listening: B1 --> B2
Reading: B1+ --> B2
Speaking: A2+ --> B2

Secondary goals: Irish (from beginner to elementary)

I've amassed several shelffuls of books and CDs over the last year, and can't wait to get stuck into TG4 (Ireland's Irish language tv channel). I'll be starting this language almost from scratch, and being half Irish, I just hope I don't let the folks down.

Listening: A0 --> A2
Reading: A0 --> A2
Speaking: A0 --> A2

Maintenance goals: German (maintain basic fluency)

Time to make amends for neglecting my German for well over a year, and letting it rust away shamefully outside in the rain like an old garden trowel. I have several audiobooks and films waiting in the ranks to help me get back on track, and a bottle of Riesling to launch my studies. ;)

Listening: B2 --> B2
Reading: B2 --> B2
Speaking: B1+ --> B2

ADDITIONAL NOTES

This is my third year of the Team TAC, and I have a really lucky feeling about 2012. It's finally time for me to stop floundering in my language studies and raise my game to a whole new level. I can't wait to try out several new ideas that I've been developing over the past few months, and need to organise my time in and around work even more than ever. With exams in January, I anticipate a particularly busy start to the year. However, once my spare time frees up again, I hope to take off like a firework finale.

With my inevitable susceptibility to wanderlust, and depending on how my plans pan out over 2012, who knows...I might even try my hand at some other languages too (French, Japanese, Hawaiian and Finnish are all quite alluring contenders for a short-term challenge). ;)

And last but not least...a proud and hearty "Привет!" to my fellow TAC linguanauts (Aloysius, Drsarvo, Ellsworth, Fabriciocarraro, Isabliss_27, Lynxrunner, M. Medialis, Ruskivyetr, Senor smile, Solfrid Cristin, Tecktight and Woodsei). I'm looking forward to tracking Team Sputnik's upward trajectory on the language radar this year, and watching our foreign language skills soar into the stratosphere. Good luck and welcome to the space race, comrades! :)

Edit - I've amended my initial estimated levels and goals to more accurately reflect my current skills, following a period of 4 months' inactivity in Russian (just a few passive films in December, as far as I recall), and 1-2 years of inactivity in German (I must be getting very rusty by now). I will also be starting Irish much closer to a complete beginner than anywhere near A1, and have indicated this with A0.

Edited by Teango on 11 August 2012 at 5:05pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4751 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 2 of 96
01 January 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Ah great write-up. Good luck this year!
Also, we have such similar language agendas(Irish, Russian, German).
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 96
02 January 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Hmm. Love the picture, and as someone with a fear of hights, I can only say that with you guys on the team, I feel confident that we'll all be high fliers this year!

What are the new ideas that you have developed, by the way? Pray, share!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4591 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 4 of 96
02 January 2012 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
I just, I don't know... I was completely blown away by your introduction. The best I've seen! Teango, you're an
inspiration! It would be great fun following you log.   :)

Keep up the good work and happy new year!

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6151 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 5 of 96
03 January 2012 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Me and my comrades at the command bridge have gone through your data a second time, and we are now standing here nodding our heads decisively: Your spacecraft and your state-of-the-art equipment have been polished to perfection, and your preparations are flawless. After having double-checked the latest readings from the TTAC Space Observatory, we all agree - The Triglot Galaxy is definitely within reach!

It is indeed a dangerous mission, with the 31-Ex-CELTA asteroid belts having scared away many aspiring cosmonauts. But we are confident in your abilities and bravery to graciously pass through the dangers and maybe even catch a glimpse of the radiant Fin:Hw-Escargot nebulas in the WL sector. We have also recently heard reports of some large-tailed Houki-Boshis (ほうき星) spotted in the 6WC quadrant!

I also took the opportunity to sneak in a picture of Юрий Гагарин on your seat in the flight deck:

Good luck on your mission, Spaceman Teango! :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 6 of 96
03 January 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
@Ellsworth
Thanks, and good luck to you too! I'm looking forward to comparing notes on Irish later in the year.

@Solfrid Cristin
Ah, you'll soon lose your fear of heights and Russian grammar once you see the world anew from above the clouds. I'm really happy we're on the same team this year, and as for my new methods...I'll be putting them thoroughly through their paces first...and all will be revealed in time. ;)

@Woodsei
After reading your new log, I just wanted to drop everything and move to Tokyo - Japanese is an amazing language! Wishing you all the best in finishing the RTK and making giant waves of progress in Japanese LR, and if you find any promising new language apps for the iPad, let us know.

@Medialis
Your confirmation checks and cosmic calculations come as excellent news, Mission Control! Until recent advances that led to the discovery of this distant 3-language constellation, my instrumentation was largely obscured by interference from clustered polyglot pulsars and domestic asteroids fields, rendering my shuttle craft unable to pierce beyond the linguistic mysteries of even the nearby Digloteuse Prawn Nebula. However, thanks to the amazing support of our team of language engineers at forum control, I will be finally ready for launch on 20th January (following my final cosmonaut exam!). This will be a big step for me, but I guess, just a small step for stamp-kind. :)

Edited by Teango on 10 January 2012 at 10:35am

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4509 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 7 of 96
04 January 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Great post, Mark! I hope we'll be able to help each other in Russian! =)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 8 of 96
05 January 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Cheers Fabricio! I look forward to chatting and sharing tips in Russian in the coming months. :)

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version