sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5498 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 97 of 100
01 February 2013 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
My favorites are Andalusian and Rioplatense. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4591 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 98 of 100
03 February 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I find that it's best to start by learning the basics of a language which will be
common to all varieties, before getting bogged down with questions like which country's
slang and accent you will aim to adopt. If you hope to actually become fluent in
Spanish, you will probably have to go to a country or community where you can speak it
day-to-day, and in all likelihood, if you ever do pick up an accent or slang, it will
be the one from that country.

If you live in the States and can't or won't go to another Spanish-speaking country,
then I would suggest learning the Spanish that will most help you in your own country.
I consider the United States to be, at least partially, a Spanish-speaking country.
Learn Telemundo Spanish (which is basically Standard Mexican, or so I've read).

On the other hand, if you plan on going to live in a specific country for a while, then
learn as much as you can of Standard Spanish plus local pronunciation and vocab of your
chosen destination.

If you're anything like me with French, I started with Standard French with a Hexagonal
accent and expressions. This still forms the base of my French, but after nearly 7
years in Québec, I have naturally picked up local vocab, slang, expressions and
linguistic ticks. So now I basically sound like a French guy who's been living in
Québec for a long time, and it shows. French people think I'm Québécois, and Québécois
people think I'm French. And I'm fine with that because that's me. That's my accent.
It's one of those unique things that makes me me.

Edited by lecavaleur on 03 February 2013 at 6:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kman543210
Diglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

26 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 99 of 100
08 February 2013 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Belle700 wrote:
The flip-flopping has contiued Kman - you were SO right when you pointed out how that happens! I have been really inspired by Latin American Spanish lately(specifically Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican), so now I am back to that - but I still am keeping an eye on the Iberian Spanish. I love both - so I will learn both. It's funny how your linguistic tastes change!

Since my last post, I started my two online Spanish classes. One is at UCLA and one is Cal State Long Beach. Both are going really well and both of them seem to favor Latin American Spanish, although which variety I am not sure. I am really enjoying the classes and am very glad that I decided to take them.

As long as you are aware of the differences and can handle the switching, I see no reason that you can't experiment (people code switch for various reasons all the time). Just be aware of the differences and focus more on the "standard" varieties rather than very specific regional dialects, especially as a non-native speaker. I think it's advantageous to at least be aware of the differences in vocabulary and accents of several different varieties of a language. When you get to more intermediate to advanced levels, you may find that you'll want to keep focus on one kind (plus you might get strange looks if you start mixing accents in mid-conversation).

Just make sure that you can be understood and that you keep it fun for yourself when learning!

Belle700
United States
Joined 5510 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 100 of 100
08 February 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
kman543210 wrote:
Belle700 wrote:
The flip-flopping has contiued Kman - you were SO right when you pointed out how that happens! I have been really inspired by Latin American Spanish lately(specifically Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican), so now I am back to that - but I still am keeping an eye on the Iberian Spanish. I love both - so I will learn both. It's funny how your linguistic tastes change!

Since my last post, I started my two online Spanish classes. One is at UCLA and one is Cal State Long Beach. Both are going really well and both of them seem to favor Latin American Spanish, although which variety I am not sure. I am really enjoying the classes and am very glad that I decided to take them.

As long as you are aware of the differences and can handle the switching, I see no reason that you can't experiment (people code switch for various reasons all the time). Just be aware of the differences and focus more on the "standard" varieties rather than very specific regional dialects, especially as a non-native speaker. I think it's advantageous to at least be aware of the differences in vocabulary and accents of several different varieties of a language. When you get to more intermediate to advanced levels, you may find that you'll want to keep focus on one kind (plus you might get strange looks if you start mixing accents in mid-conversation).

Just make sure that you can be understood and that you keep it fun for yourself when learning!

I absolutely agree with everything you said, which is why I am using general Latin American Spanish as my core focus, with a favorable eye towards Puerto Rican and Cuban Spanish. I have not forgotten about Iberian Spanish and I keep that in the rotation also. I think I have a pretty good handle on the differences between the different varieties and can switch with ease. I do language exchanges online with people from different Spanish speaking countries (including Latin America and Spain) to help them learn English, so this is very good knowledge to have.

I also agree with what you said about focusing on one kind to avoid sounding odd and having a sprinkling of too many varieties. I have read the same thing in other places and it is sound advice. Your Spanish will be shaky if it's cobbled together from one to many places. Get a good base and then branch out into a variety or varieties, depending on what regional flavors appeal to you.

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version