Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
174 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 21 22 Next >>
michal
Pentaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5101 days ago

16 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English, German, Russian, French
Studies: Latvian, Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Polish, Yiddish, Greek, Hungarian

Message 73 of 174
16 October 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Registrador wrote:
seldnar wrote:

According to a September 10th posting on their Facebook page "new method" means the same as
refreshed or updated edition. Or, in their words: "ASSIMIL: C'était juste pour éviter une répétition !
nouvelle édition et édition mise à jour ou rafraîchie, c'est pareil !"

So does this means that the "new" assimil books are going to have the same content than the previous
ones?. Are they going to limit their work to just correct the misprints and make a new front page? That's
very disappointing.

What the Assimil marketing person says on their Facebook profile is definitely not accurate. I have bought a few of their new and updated courses over the last year and a half:

Their latest Portuguese and Persian courses are minor updates.
Their latest Swedish course is completely new, I have not noticed any overlap with the previous two volume Sans Peine version.
Their latest advanced German course is a significant update with some overlap with the previous edition, in my opinion worth a purchase if you have the old one.
I definitely would not say that "c'est pareil".

So I would not be too skeptical about their updates. Extracting accurate information from their marketing staff may be a different story. I am not on Facebook myself, maybe somebody who is would care to educate their marketing staff about this?
5 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7018 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 74 of 174
19 October 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
michal wrote:

What are the actual minor updates?
Is there any with the audio?
2 persons have voted this message useful

michal
Pentaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5101 days ago

16 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English, German, Russian, French
Studies: Latvian, Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Polish, Yiddish, Greek, Hungarian

Message 75 of 174
19 October 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
michal wrote:

What are the actual minor updates?
Is there any with the audio?

I have only gone through some of the Portuguese course. The changes I have noticed are:
1. The revision lesson dialogues (7,14,..} are now recorded.
2. In other lessons, I have only noticed changes in two places where references to writing on a typewriter were replaced with references to writing on a computer. The recording has been updated in these places as well.

Persian is sitting in my bookshelf for later study, maybe somebody else can comment on the precise nature of the updates. All I can say is that quickly opening the book and thumbing through it did not reveal anything more than different pagination.

Hope this helps.

Edited by michal on 19 October 2012 at 12:51pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7018 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 76 of 174
19 October 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 

@ michal,

Thanks for letting the forum know about the specific minor updates. You have my useful vote.
1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5142 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 77 of 174
22 November 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
They posted the following on their Facebook page

Assimil wrote:
Nous sommes sûrs que vous êtes avides de connaître nos prochaines méthodes, à paraître en 2013 sans la collection Sans Peine.

En début d'année, de nouvelles éditions revues et mises à jour de l'Indonésien, du Tchèque, du Hongrois.
Un peu plus tard, le Japonais sera remis à jour et en un seul volume, accompagné de son volume d'écriture.
Puis nous ajouterons le Khmer à notre catalogue, vraisemblablement au printemps.
Très attendue, la méthode de Sanskrit est prévue pour août.
Côté langues régionales, nous aurons une toute nouvelle méthode d'Occitan. Sans parler de quelques autres surprises à venir...

Does this mean the Indonesian, Czech, Hungarian and Japanese texts will be basically the same courses and feature the same dialogues, with minor revisions and updates?

I'd like to ask them this, but I'm not a member of Facebook and do not wish to become one.

Can someone who is on Facebook please ask them, of the recent and upcoming books, which feature the same dialogues and which are entirely new? The ones I know of which have been recently re-released or announced are the Danish, Czech, Hungarian, Persian and Indonesian courses.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 78 of 174
22 November 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I am personally drooling over the prospect of a good Sanskrit course with audio. I'm
going to have to kick my French studies up so I'll be able to understand the grammar
explanations!

SomeGuy
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4897 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 79 of 174
22 November 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
A little bit off topic but i ask myself which level of French is necessary to use the French courses ? ( B1 or higher ? )

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5362 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 80 of 174
22 November 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Having gone through L'Allemand, I reckon a 'real' A2 French (i.e. one knows the grammar required for A2 and
not just how to say the necessary phrases) and a good dictionary (such as the biggish Collins Inhave on my
I-phone) is probably sufficient to get through a modern Assimil course.

Edited by Elexi on 22 November 2012 at 11:46pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 174 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version