174 messages over 22 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 21 22 Next >>
COF
United States
Joined 5628 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 33 of 174
12 April 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
I find it somewhat strange why Assimil don't translate more of their courses into English. It wouldn't be that hard to do, and they're missing out of a huge market.

What I find even more strange is that they've translated courses for unusual languages like Dutch and Hungarian into English, yet completely left out more common place languages.

Edited by COF on 12 April 2012 at 1:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7018 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 34 of 174
13 April 2012 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I got it today - based on comparing the excerpt from Cicero's Catiline orations to those
of Leo Latinus/Nikolaus Groß, the restored classical Latin appears to be properly done -
they are professionally recorded (i.e. no reverb or appearance of distance from the mic)
and spoken faster than the old recordings. They are in a recognisable Italian accent,
however, but that does not really bother me compared to the old Dessard recordings.

I've only listened to the ecclesiastical Latin a little - it also appears well done.

The text is an unmodified (but Italian in L2) version of the original Dessard edition of
Le Latin Sans Peine, so that book has come alive to us again.

This is great and one reason I started a thread last year about modern language speakers, that would resemble ancient languages. I thought the Italians would be close to Latin, but someone wrote Sardinians are closer. If only Assimil would use native Greek speakers from an area, that would sound closer go Ancient Greek and so on.
I really feel the old Latin recordings with the French accent were the worst I have heard for an Assimil program.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6456 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 35 of 174
13 April 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I got it today - based on comparing the excerpt from Cicero's Catiline orations to those
of Leo Latinus/Nikolaus Groß, the restored classical Latin appears to be properly done -
they are professionally recorded (i.e. no reverb or appearance of distance from the mic)
and spoken faster than the old recordings. They are in a recognisable Italian accent,
however, but that does not really bother me compared to the old Dessard recordings.

I've only listened to the ecclesiastical Latin a little - it also appears well done.

The text is an unmodified (but Italian in L2) version of the original Dessard edition of
Le Latin Sans Peine, so that book has come alive to us again.

I what way is the restored pronunciation colored by Italian? Are the vowel quantities clearly distinguished?

bjornbrekkukot
United States
Joined 4519 days ago

25 posts - 58 votes 

Message 36 of 174
20 April 2012 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Well, my first impression is that the new Ukrainien sans peine is rather substandard for Assimil courses. Most of
the dialogues are EXTREMELY short--the first 14 lessons cover about the same amount of material as the old
Russian course does in a few days. After spending about $100 on this course, I have to say that I'm rather
disappointed. I've studied Ukrainian before, but not enough to think that I couldn't get anything out of an Assimil
course.

Regardless, I'll update this when I get further into the course. I have a feeling that this was quickly thrown together
for EURO 2012, with little substance. Regardless, I hope to find more positives as I progress.

I also received the new Croatian course, and it seems a bit more substantive.

3 persons have voted this message useful

tennisfan
Triglot
United States
Joined 5157 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 37 of 174
22 April 2012 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
bjornbrekkukot wrote:
Regardless, I'll update this when I get further into the course. I have a feeling that this was quickly thrown together
for EURO 2012, with little substance. Regardless, I hope to find more positives as I progress.

hmmm... that seems a bit optimistic to me... I highly doubt that the droves of people headed to Poland/Ukraine for Euro 2012 are going to be trying to learn any Polish or Ukrainian at all, much less go to the efforts of mastering the language via Assimil.

but correct my ignorance if I'm wrong---is it not true that in Ukraine the vast majority of people actually prefer to speak Russian?

bjornbrekkukot
United States
Joined 4519 days ago

25 posts - 58 votes 

Message 38 of 174
22 April 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
Consider that the 5th lesson is "Des billets pour le football." Judging by how simplified this course is, I think it's
very realistic that quite a few people would pick up this book before heading to Ukraine this summer for Euro
2012. I'm not saying that that's the only reason it was published--but I think the timing is evident enough.

To answer your question, it depends where you are. In Odessa you only hear Russian; in Kyiv the majority uses
Russian; in Lviv and other western cities Ukrainian is most widely spoken, and preferred.

ericblair
United States
Joined 4508 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 39 of 174
24 April 2012 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Baracuda wrote:
I've just ordered the new Assimil Russian course for English
speakers. I've been putting
off starting on Russian for a while now because I was waiting for this course to be
released. Now I have no excuses :)

DaraghM wrote:

I received my copy of the new Assimil Russian and it came with four CD's and a CD of
MP3's. I've only taken a very quick look at the course but it seems good. I think
they've greatly expanded the explanations compared to the French version of the course.
The English course also has a grammar section at the back.

willcouchman wrote:
No idea, but I ordered the new Russian from Assimil directly on
Friday, they sent me an email saying it was shipping
yesterday, and I got the package (I live in the North of England) this morning!!!

Very impressed with the speed of delivery :)

ernestd wrote:
Unfortunately, I didn't have a pleasant experience with them. I
ordered Russian with ease directly on their website
and they sent me a Thai course instead.

My email exchange with them after that was very awful too. Very bad customer experience
in my opinion.

Bump for you 4. As far as I can tell, you are the only ones that have mentioned on this
site that you bought the new Assimil Russian with the English base. It has been a
little bit, so I wanted to ask how you all are finding it? Worth the cost you paid?
Have you done other Assimil, and how does it compare?

I want to start self-study of Russian after I graduate this semester, and I was quite
excited to hear about the new Russian Assimil course. Of course, I wanted to get some
feedback first, especially since it is still so pricey! Thanks :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 40 of 174
24 April 2012 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I've ordered it too, and it's worth every penny.

This discussion contains 174 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version