United States
Joined 4679 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 65 of 174
03 October 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Hendrek wrote:
I was just informed that Assimil is planning on releasing a Persian course for Italian speakers soon... unsure of the exact date though.

Good news for me!

First half of 2013 is the timeline for Persian in Italian
2 persons have voted this message useful

caracao
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4917 days ago

53 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German

Message 66 of 174
04 October 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Advanced Spanish (for french speakers), new method, 2014.
1 person has voted this message useful

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4289 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 67 of 174
05 October 2012 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
caracao wrote:
Advanced Spanish (for french speakers), new method, 2014.

I wonder what exactly "new method" means here. Does Assimil mean better base language translations? Or are they chucking the "old method" because it failed (or rather deterred potential buyers) and they don't realize the reason (at least for English base) was in fact the poor translation itself rather than the target language content and structure?
2 persons have voted this message useful

seldnar
United States
Joined 6929 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 68 of 174
05 October 2012 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Peregrinus wrote:
I wonder what exactly "new method" means here. Does Assimil mean better base language translations? Or are they chucking the "old method" because it failed (or rather deterred potential buyers) and they don't realize the reason (at least for English base) was in fact the poor translation itself rather than the target language content and structure?

According to a September 10th posting on their Facebook page "new method" means the same as refreshed or updated edition. Or, in their words: "ASSIMIL: C'était juste pour éviter une répétition ! nouvelle édition et édition mise à jour ou rafraîchie, c'est pareil !"

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 69 of 174
05 October 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
So is it basically a new cover, as is the case with quite a few of their languages? I'm quite eager to know to which extent to the new Indonesian is different from the old one. Ideally, a completely new author would be great. And new actors too... the old ones just sound like idiots in the way they speak.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4963 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 70 of 174
05 October 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to know if there is indeed a new Norwegian edition in French, anyone got it?

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7018 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 71 of 174
05 October 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 

I am interested in learning other languages from a related language. This is why I am looking into Scandanavian languages through the German base. Romance languages through the ones offered.

Spanish-> Portuguese, Catalan, French.
French-> Italian, Occitan.
Italian-> Latin, Romanian.     

English-> German.
German-> Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish.

The Norwegian course, I read did not have good reviews.
Unfortunately, some are not an option (Ex. German-> Alsatian), so a person will have to make due with whatever is offered. I thought it would have been great if there was a Russian base for the Slavic languages.
I emailed ASSIMIL Germany for a German based Yiddish course. The priority are this and next years courses. Yiddish is not a priority at this point, but Hebrew is in the works.

Registrador
Tetraglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4823 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Italian
Studies: German, Czech

Message 72 of 174
16 October 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
seldnar wrote:
Peregrinus wrote:
I wonder what exactly "new method" means here. Does Assimil
mean better base language translations? Or are they chucking the "old method" because it failed (or
rather deterred potential buyers) and they don't realize the reason (at least for English base) was in fact
the poor translation itself rather than the target language content and structure?

According to a September 10th posting on their Facebook page "new method" means the same as
refreshed or updated edition. Or, in their words: "ASSIMIL: C'était juste pour éviter une répétition !
nouvelle édition et édition mise à jour ou rafraîchie, c'est pareil !"

So does this means that the "new" assimil books are going to have the same content than the previous
ones?. Are they going to limit their work to just correct the misprints and make a new front page? That's
very disappointing.

This discussion contains 174 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version