Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5644 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 48
14 May 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone here have plans to learn all the languages in a particular language family
like what have in mind? I want to learn almost, if not all the Slavic languages to
fluency. However, I am unsure what is the best way to complete this ambitious plan. I
do recognize that the similarity between the languages is a double edge sword: one can
speed up the learning process after mastering one, but at the same time, one can easily
mix up the languages especially if he is not careful.

In my plan now, I have basically divided the Slavic languages into the 3 main
categories : Western, Southern and Eastern branches. Each Category has 4 languages that
I will start to learn after only I am comfortable with the previous languages in the
same category I had studied. However, I will learn one language in each category simultaneously(at the same time), which I am doing now.

Here is the break down:

1st level: Russian (east), Czech (west), BCS (South) (currently in progress)
2nd level: Ukrainian (east), Polish (West), Bulgarian (south)
3rd level: Belorussian (east), Slovak (Wast), Slovenian (south)
4th level: Rusyn (east), Sorbian (west), Macedonian (south)

Can we discuss the feasibility of this plan and how long it will take? I may move to
that region if necessary.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 48
14 May 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
I think by the time you've had Bulgarian the last couple will be quite simple to do.
1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5045 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 3 of 48
14 May 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
If you are intending to learn most of the languages from the same family, you'd better also learn the corresponding sound laws (or rules of thumb if you prefer) - this will make learning of vocab tons easier. This stands for every language family.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4648 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 4 of 48
14 May 2012 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Well, as a student of slavic philology, I have such plans. Of course in a very distant future.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4845 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 5 of 48
14 May 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Learn Russian first and you won't regret.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 48
14 May 2012 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
Does anyone here have plans to learn all the languages in a particular language family
like what have in mind? I want to learn almost, if not all the Slavic languages to
fluency. However, I am unsure what is the best way to complete this ambitious plan. I
do recognize that the similarity between the languages is a double edge sword: one can
speed up the learning process after mastering one, but at the same time, one can easily
mix up the languages especially if he is not careful.

In my plan now, I have basically divided the Slavic languages into the 3 main
categories : Western, Southern and Eastern branches. Each Category has 4 languages that
I will start to learn after only I am comfortable with the previous languages in the
same category I had studied. However, I will learn one language in each category simultaneously(at the same time), which I am doing now.

Here is the break down:

1st level: Russian (east), Czech (west), BCS (South) (currently in progress)
2nd level: Ukrainian (east), Polish (West), Bulgarian (south)
3rd level: Belorussian (east), Slovak (Wast), Slovenian (south)
4th level: Rusyn (east), Sorbian (west), Macedonian (south)

Can we discuss the feasibility of this plan and how long it will take? I may move to
that region if necessary.

Scroll down to the sections "Links" and "Comments from forum-members who have 'been there' with at least two Balto-Slavonic languages" in the Balto-Slavonic Profile. This topic never gets old among us.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 48
15 May 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
From my experience, making detailed plans is useless. Start studying when you can no longer resist, whether this happens tomorrow, next week or in 2 years.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version