Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
48 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 48
15 May 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
I have done more or less the same with the Germanic and the Romance languages. However I have reached a point where the last few languages (Sardic, Romantsch, Frisian, Faroese) don't really attract me because there are few study materials, few speakers and few chances to hear those languages. Besides I can already more or less read texts and to some extent understand speech in them (when clearly spoken and about things I know) so there would not really be a point in further study - better spend the time on keeping those languages I already know in tip top condition and adding new ones from other families.

The only area where I feel that I lack something is the old forms, like Anglosaxon and Old High German (and maybe Gothic). In the Romance family I have studied Old French and Old Occitan long ago, and the other old forms are fairly easy to understand. Besides my Latin functions as a link back in time.

So while I appreciate your effort to study all Slavic languages I predict that you at some point will ask yourself: Is there really any compelling reason to study language X,Y, Z when I already can read and understand them through A, B, C, D, E and F?

Edited by Iversen on 15 May 2012 at 12:10pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

zhanglong
United States
Joined 4719 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 10 of 48
15 May 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
I think your idea is wonderful!

Learning all of the languages in a particular family is a very attractive and worthwhile goal.

The only advice I could give, as someone who is on the same path, is to study the main language first to at least B2 level. If you try to learn many related languages at the same time, the possibility of interference is quite high.

That's not to say you can't do more than one at the same time. It just means that one language should be your primary focus while you are investigate or get up to speed on the others in the family.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 48
15 May 2012 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
Does anyone here have plans to learn all the languages in a particular language family
like what have in mind?

I am certainly not planning to learn all the Slavic languages to fluency, but I would like to learn Russian (B2 at least) then Polish and Ukrainian (to B1) and then possibly Croatian. I also have a Slovak course waiting for me on my bookshelf.

According to my calculations I will be somewhere in my 80ies by the time I have managed that, so I'll postpone further planning until then, but I am hoping that I will be able to read some of the other Slavic languages absed on the ones I already know. Just the thought of my kids no longer needing me, and my grandkids being old enough to take care of themselves, and me heving all that free time on my hands - oohhh.

I like the way you think though. In principle I agree with Serpent that the plans you make tend to change after a while, but hey, you will have had fun just making them!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 48
15 May 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Sure, detailed and really long term plans have the tendency to fall apart but even if you
managed to learn "just" the first three, it would be surely rewarding. Some will be easy
(such as Slovak after Czech) but still, you have a lot before you. Good luck.

eilis91
Bilingual Tetraglot
France
Joined 4366 days ago

28 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Yoruba

Message 13 of 48
15 May 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
I find learning languages from the same group a very pleasant experience, because as you add more and more
languages they create this beautiful web of words in your head and you can see all these connections between them
that you would never have known about. I speak fluent French and Italian, some Spanish (which I intend to brush up
in the near future) and I plan to learn Latin, Portuguese, Romanian and Esperanto. I suppose one can't really
describe Esperanto as a true romance language, being a constructed language, but there are undeniably huge
romance influences on the vocabulary of Esperanto, and I feel as though my group of romance languages would be
missing something without it.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5645 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 48
15 May 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

So while I appreciate your effort to study all Slavic languages I predict that you at
some point will ask yourself: Is there really any compelling reason to study language
X,Y, Z when I already can read and understand them through A, B, C, D, E and F?

For me, I am sort of a "perfectionist", who likes to learn the entire package, even
though I may be able to know them passively. Besides that, each language represent a
different form of Slavic cultures which I am fond of since young for some unknown
reason. Hence, I do not feel the "burnout" after learning many Slavic languages. And it
is also the very same reason why I learn Slavic languages in Singapore, despite the
ridicules from "normal" people. (I would be in better relations with people if I placed
emphasis on Japanese, Korean and even Thai, but I persisted to stick with Slavic
languages)

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5645 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 15 of 48
15 May 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
From my experience, making detailed plans is useless. Start studying
when you can no longer resist, whether this happens tomorrow, next week or in 2 years.

If that's the case, I would have been running these 6 languages in parallel now: Russian,
Czech, BCS, Slovak, Ukrainian and Polish. However, due to my commitments, it is almost
impossible for me to do so, and a plan will at least install me with a sense of
discipline to reach my target.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4968 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 16 of 48
15 May 2012 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with that.
I think, as a Slav, that learning any Slavic lang can be hard for the non-slav due to the verbs, but I may be simply wrong, due to the fact I have never learned it formally.
At least you don't have to worry about the gender, like in German, most of the nouns can be identified right away from its ending (there are exceptions, but... ).

I believe still, that once you have mastered one, the rest will be really easy, as our languaegs are quite close: I can recognize a lot of vocabulary in every Slavic language, and somewhat understand some simple sentences (not all, and only written, but vocabulary tends to be alike).

The funny things is the false friends, and many Poles find Czech language very funny sounding, and vice versa.

for example Polish word 'szukać' (to search) sounds like Czech verb meaning 'to have sexual intercourse'.

Some links about funny Polish-Czech-Serbo-Croatian misunderstandings (in Polish):
http://www.polskieradio.pl/7/158/Artykul/500401,Rozmowki-cho rwacko%E2%80%93polskie
http://r24430.ovh.net/szlakiem/czeski/jez-humor.htm

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version