Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 25 of 48
18 May 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
hribecek wrote:

However I think to be able to speak all those languages fluently would probably be
impossible for both you (looking at your current languages) and me.

No harm in trying though :)

You stand a better chance in reaching fluency: you are already in Czech Republic and are
much closer to other Slavic countries as well. You are already immersed in the target
language!

For me, I do not know when I can stay in Eastern Europe for immersion and have to rely on
my discipline to reach at least basic fluency before that grand trip.
That's why I know that it would be impossible for me (and probably for anybody else, except for someone born into perhaps 3 Slavic native languages). It took me so much hard work and time to get to a fluent level in Czech that I know that there wouldn't be enough years in my life to manage another 11 Slavic languages to that level.

As I said though, understanding of them all to a high level should be attainable.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 26 of 48
18 May 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
If you take B2 as fluency, than learning all Slavic languages to it is, in my opinion,
well possible for someone with one Slavic native language (but QiuJP might prove it is
possible even for someone with completely different language background, if his
enthousiasme stays for long enough). I won't do the experiment myself and I know people
who are fluent at most at four Slavic languages but I trully believe it can be done and I
can guess several paths to it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 27 of 48
18 May 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
I guess it's another definition problem. I think you can get to a B2 level in several of them and then be understood in the others by using one of the ones you already know, but I can't imagine myself or most people being able to switch between say Polish, Slovak, Czech and Sorbian and actually using true Sorbian and not just some sort of mash of Polish and Czech.

The other big problem will be resources in Sorbian and Rusyn, I guess QiuJP would have to spend a good period of time in a Sorbian and then Rusyn speaking area to really learn those languages to a B2 level.

If someone could do it, then they would probably need to be able to move around Europe living in different Slavic countries for extended periods or be very, very active on skype.

I've met one half Czech/half Slovak guy who speaks Czech, Slovak, Russian and Macedonian fluently and says that he understands most of all Slavic languages. The nearest thing to QiuJP's dream we have here on HTLAL is Chung; do you think it's possible Chung?

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative, I really hope you prove me wrong QiuJP, go for it!

Edited by hribecek on 18 May 2012 at 5:13pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 28 of 48
18 May 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
If we assume that the goal would be fluency as set at B2 or better, then I think that it's possible although difficult to acheive. Apart from the problems of the limited distribution and amount of materials for each of Rusyn and Sorbian (remember that "Sorbian" covers two literary languages: Lower and Upper and these differ from each other roughly as much as Czech and Slovak), Iversen's point about weighing depth versus breadth will creep into QiuJP's mind eventually. Is it better to refine the knowledge of the languages that you already know or simply to learn kindred languages to a certain level until the family is "complete"?

To make the process more interesting rather than just an exercise of simple absorption of what's in the textbook or on the internet, I'd strongly recommend long-term visits to areas where the languages are used and making friends (not just online) in person and hanging out with them regularly and frequently. All of this would take money not just for travelling costs but to cover the opportunity cost (i.e. instead of working regularly for a paycheck, he'd likely have periods of downtime where he'd draw down his financial reserves without any cash coming in).

On top of this, he'd run the risk of mental burnout by circling in a group with many intra-similarities. I've felt this way already with Slavonic as I'm unable to summon much motivation to take on Belorussian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Russian and the Sorbian languages seriously (i.e. learn them to B2 or better) or even improve my basic BCMS/SC and Slovenian. I'm more than satisfied to aim for basic fluency in Czech, Polish, and Slovak while something a bit less than fluency for Ukrainian would be just fine for me.

Edited by Chung on 19 May 2012 at 2:48am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4539 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 29 of 48
19 May 2012 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
If you learn Russian, Slovak and SerboCroatian, you will understand most other Slavic languages.

Czech can be difficult because of diglossia (the spoken and the written languages are very distant, just in the case of Swiss German, Brazilian Portuguese and Finnish).

Edited by Camundonguinho on 19 May 2012 at 3:11am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 30 of 48
19 May 2012 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
My exemple of four slavic language speaker can speak Czech, Ukrainian, Russian and Slovak
(and English of course). Sure, to get more languages, the best would be to live in each
country for a time but it would be possible under some circumstances.

Don't take out the Czech diglossia thing. It is really overestimated. Of course there are
some differences between writen and spoken form but not much more than in French for
exemple. If you learn the correct Czech, you won't have a serious trouble understanding
(and learning to speak) the spoken form or any dialect with some practice.

2 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5645 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 31 of 48
19 May 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
I guess it's another definition problem. I think you can get to a B2
level in several of them and then be understood in the others by using one of the ones
you already know, but I can't imagine myself or most people being able to switch
between say Polish, Slovak, Czech and Sorbian and actually using true Sorbian and not
just some sort of mash of Polish and Czech.

The other big problem will be resources in Sorbian and Rusyn, I guess QiuJP would have
to spend a good period of time in a Sorbian and then Rusyn speaking area to really
learn those languages to a B2 level.

If someone could do it, then they would probably need to be able to move around Europe
living in different Slavic countries for extended periods or be very, very active on
skype.

I've met one half Czech/half Slovak guy who speaks Czech, Slovak, Russian and
Macedonian fluently and says that he understands most of all Slavic languages. The
nearest thing to QiuJP's dream we have here on HTLAL is Chung; do you think it's
possible Chung?

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative, I really hope you prove me wrong QiuJP, go for it!

Thanks for your support! It is very much needed because the people around me are often ridiculing me on why am I learning the Slavic languages. People have "recommended" me
to learn Korean and other "popular" culture languages which no matter how I tried,
doesn't stick with me as well as the Slavic languages.

hribecek, do you know whether there are methods avaulable in the Germany where Sorbian
is spoken? I have managed to find some materials in Rusyn in Russian, but no leads on
Sorbian.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5645 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 32 of 48
19 May 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Hmm. I have just downloaded Skype and am looking for language exchange
partners to
strenghten my active skills :-) Since you have C2 level of English and I'm a Czech
native, we might help each other.

It is indeed very nice of you! However, I think we are in different time zones that would
make Skyping really difficult. If I did not remember wrongly Singapore is ahead of most
part of Europe by 6 hours in Summer and 7 hours on Winter. That means, by the time I
reached home from work, most of you are still working or studying...

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version