44 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 44
15 September 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Peregrinus wrote:
one can let reviews go and then be able to only process the reviews a little at a time, and also without new cards being added to the mix from the rest of the overall deck if there still are some.
The same can be done in the current release by using tags:) Unfortunately it's seemingly less clear to most people, so I'll maybe have to suspend cards by tag:(
1 person has voted this message useful

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4304 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 44
16 September 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
The problem with tags is that they are not deck specific and can thus produce overlaps. So much more care has to be taken to come up with a (possibly rather elaborate) system of tags for various functions. Also you end up with an annoying long list of tags in the browser directory which at least for now, cannot be put in a higher directory and collapsed (unless I just don't know how to do so).

I am trying to tediously go through and use tags to filter and move cards to sub-decks so that I can get rid of most tags except for the global type of "is:whatever" ones.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 44
16 September 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
I have just one deck for all languages:) I like studying several within a session and I like changing the combinations easily.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fulushou3
Russian Federation
Joined 4614 days ago

17 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 12 of 44
15 November 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
What's the best for audioflashcards?
e.g. I've got a set of audiofiles from Forvo. What I want is to hear a word (no visual information at all), then enter the word (the word itself or its meaning)/choose the right word.
Maybe, it would be a small set (or several sets) of similarly pronounced words (to train the ear), so it's more about a drill (I don't want any words to be removed from the actual list of words to be memorized after correct answering).
Thank you.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5793 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 13 of 44
17 November 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
I've been using memrise till now, but a major drawback that it has is that as you progress, you have to exponentially review more and more. At the moment of writing this, I have more than 100 words per day to review.
Which SRS would you recommend me that overcomes this flaw?

Well, someone mentioned before that menrise has a ceiling regarding how long intervals can grow, so I wouldn't consider it as proper SRS, and that basically means that you should manually remove the words that you consider learned, given that the program doesn't automatically do that by putting them further and further away (years and even decades). So, I would say that this app is a short term learning tool.

Now, regarding true SRS programs like Mnemosyne (the one I use), there's no such a thing as exponential growth, actually the tendency in the medium and long term is quite the opposite: a gentle decrease in the work load. The reason is simple: When cards pile up, you have enough trouble completing your review without having to worry about learning new words, so things level off for the next couple of days/weeks. These are the maths, unless of course you said to yourself "I'm gonna learn 3000 words this month and I won't settle for anything less, so I'm gonna spend as much time in front of the computer as this damn thing ask me to".

Edited by Javi on 17 November 2012 at 12:07pm

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4463 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 14 of 44
15 February 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
I've just started using Anki 2.0.

Do you think there's something better out there?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 44
15 February 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
I started my SRS way with Anki, than got excited about memrise Beta (which I think was by far the best, even though it had some flaws) and came back to Anki 2 as I got very dissappointed with Memrise 1.0.

So, "Something better" depends on what are you looking for.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4477 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 16 of 44
15 February 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
Well, someone mentioned before that menrise has a ceiling regarding how
long intervals can grow, so I wouldn't consider it as proper SRS, and that basically
means that you should manually remove the words that you consider learned, given that
the program doesn't automatically do that by putting them further and further away
(years and even decades).

I've been using memrise for some time now, both the beta and now 1.0.

Although I've dabbled in plenty of courses there are only two that I'm actively
reviewing right now: Japanese N5 and N4. I'm still learning the N4 one but the N5 one I
already knew from the beta. Having gone through the planting/harvesting phase, it
generally takes 5 mins/day to review; it's only throwing maybe 10 words out of 600+ at
me each day. The N4 course is throwing maybe 50/day at me but some of those I don't
know at all yet (I did rather push hard to get everything planted and harvested: in
hindsight, perhaps too hard). I rarely spend more than 20m each day on memrise.

Maybe the workload will be heavier once I try the N3 course (~1500 words) or the N2 one
(I've not checked but probably ~6000).

In Anki I have maybe 500 words plus maybe 50-100 grammar points and a few kanji cards.
That takes me maybe 30 mins each day. Now I'm not entering new words every day: I pour
in a chapter or two of my textbook each week and I may throw in a few extra that have
turned up from other sources.

So I've yet to experience drowning-by-SRS with either of these programs. Maybe I'm just
not hardcore enough :-)

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version