Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 44
15 February 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, drowning does come. After you learn new 200+ or so cards for a few days in a row. One well used prolonged weekend may lead to a week or two of hating yourself and srs :-D
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5937 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 18 of 44
16 February 2013 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
200+/day? That's super-human. I get buried even at 20 new cards a day. I started on Anki back in 2008, and I've been off and on it, but now I'm back on Anki. I find nothing chisels the words in my brain better than constant and daily repetition. I don't know about anyone else, but for me time just disappears while doing flash cards, and if I don't check the clock, I'll find my self doing hours and hours on them. It's not really fun, but it is a weird kind of obsession.

I also purchased the iPhone version for about $20US so I can memorize Finnish words while riding the train to work. It's pretty slick, and I can sync my phone to my PC. I prefer the PC and using a keyboard if that's available.    

Edited by cathrynm on 16 February 2013 at 6:17am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 44
16 February 2013 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
This thread made me realize I need to officially take a break from Anki for the rest of the super challenge. I'll be adding some cards but not reviewing anything.
I'll try to use it for uni though, and I'll probably use it for football stuff in autumn XD

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 44
18 February 2013 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
anki is actually free for the devices i use it on - a laptop and a simple nokia phone that supports nothing but java (so i use opera mini and anki web).
as for limits, they can usually be changed manually, so there's no need to base your choice on what the default settings are.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4685 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 21 of 44
18 February 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
AnkiDroid 2 is also free, and actually pretty good. I haven't noticed anything wrong
with it yet. :)

shinkarom
Diglot
Groupie
Ukraine
allthetongues.hRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4120 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*

Message 22 of 44
10 April 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
In the options of Anki decks there is an option to limit maximum number of cards to
review a day. It was 100 by default, but I changed it to 20, although I have put in only
eight words so far.

baskerville
Trilingual Triglot
Singapore
scribeorigins.com
Joined 4058 days ago

39 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: German*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian

Message 23 of 44
17 April 2013 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
I use Anki on my computer and with my Android phone, Brainscape for iPhone. With
Brainscape, it does not have a set number of cards to study per day. I stop when I feel
like it, maybe after 15 or 20 minutes and just for vocabs.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 24 of 44
17 April 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
shinkarom wrote:
In the options of Anki decks there is an option to limit maximum number of cards to
review a day. It was 100 by default, but I changed it to 20, although I have put in only
eight words so far.

You can limit the number of cards per day and the number of NEW cards per day. I have it set for 450 cards (total) plus 20 new cards per day. I have found with practice takes that it personally takes me about 45-60 minutes to do 450 cards; and I can learn about 20 cards per day without overloading things (but that depends on how fast you learn and how hard the cards are).

Over the last 10 months a couple of times I have stopped adding new cards for a few weeks until I had more throughly learned what I had already added.

I am curious why some people delete cards from their deck. I have kept all the cards I have made, and now approaching about 8000 for German. For me the big advantage of Anki is that it's not just learning new words, but for maintaining them once learnt.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version