44 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 25 of 44
17 April 2013 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Because at some point learning cofetărie is not so interesting anymore, and noapte bună
and lună and azi are obvious. (using Romanian as my example)

Edited by tarvos on 17 April 2013 at 11:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 26 of 44
17 April 2013 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Because at some point learning cofetărie is not so interesting anymore, and noapte bună
and lună and azi are obvious. (using Romanian as my example)

I guess I haven't had the experience of being bored by all those well known words. Anki seems to be working quite well for me in that that I know about 80% of the long-term words it shows me. The 20% error rate for mature cards is quite enough for me not to want to delete anything, and most of the cards I see are new/young anyway.

Yesterday, for instance, I spent 60 minutes reviewing cards, of which only 5 minutes was spent on Mature cards (i.e., cards with intervals of 21 or more days). Given that many of these cards would be forgotten in time if I didn't review them, I can't see the point of deleting anything.

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 April 2013 at 12:15pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 27 of 44
17 April 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
My rate tends to be more like 95% correct based on my experiences with Russian and
Romanian. I delete some stuff just because I don't need it. And cognates/loans are the
first to go - apartament is obvious, so is șeful (le chef). I just noted it because of
the orthography difference I need to remember.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 28 of 44
17 April 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
My rate tends to be more like 95% correct based on my experiences with Russian and
Romanian. I delete some stuff just because I don't need it. And cognates/loans are the
first to go - apartament is obvious, so is șeful (le chef). I just noted it because of
the orthography difference I need to remember.

95% does seem a bit high. I guess the parameters in Anki need to be adjusted slightly, though I thought it tried to set things so that you would get 80% on average for mature cards as the default.

I guess the big thing for me though is that I am just not spending that much time on mature cards for it to be a bother either way.

I am probably a bit unusual anyway as I used to be a vision scientist, which involves to a large extent collecting data on yourself, by sitting in a dark room making 100s of judgments on some task (e.g., which of two pairs of lines are closer together). In vision experiments you want say 80% of the questions to be fairly easy otherwise you end up despairing at how difficult everything is.

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 April 2013 at 12:51pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 29 of 44
17 April 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
It is high, but I have a good memory and I always have high vocab retention rates. If I
use Anki being strict with myself I still get 90%+ easily on a first pass. I do have a
few "bother" cards, which is why my rate is 95% or so. But never a lot lower. Having
more
than 10 fails a round of 100 is really rare for me. And then it only happens if I
dumped
100 new cards all at once.

Edit: current data for Romanian deck:

Correct: 91.12% (482 of 529)     
Correct: 94.04% (789 of 839)     
Correct: 96.67% (203 of 210)

Edited by tarvos on 17 April 2013 at 12:58pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 30 of 44
17 April 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It is high, but I have a good memory and I always have high vocab retention rates. If I
use Anki being strict with myself I still get 90%+ easily on a first pass. I do have a
few "bother" cards, which is why my rate is 95% or so. But never a lot lower. Having more
than 10 fails a round of 100 is really rare for me. And then it only happens if I dumped
100 new cards all at once.

I used to design psychological vision experiments, and depending on the experiment, you can set up the software to automatically make tasks more or less difficult depending on past performance. Usually you try to aim for about 80% correct, otherwise observers either get disheartened by it being too difficult, or bored if it is too easy. [also for the purposes of data collection you don't want people to be at close to 100% as then you don't really know their real performance - but that's a irrelevant for Anki].

I haven't played around with the parameters on Anki, as the defaults work for me well, but it should be possible to adjust the parameters so that the intervals are longer between cards and your error rate goes up sufficiently that you aren't bored and don't have to delete anything.

My stats:

Learning: Correct: 68.16% (35678 of 52341)
Young: Correct: 73.24% (61546 of 84031)     
Mature: Correct: 81.01% (10914 of 13473)

Total cards:    7903
Total notes:    7247
Lowest ease:    130%
Average ease:   217%
Highest ease:   275%

I curious, what's the highest ease on your cards? If it's pretty low, then it's probably why you are finding the cards too easy.

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 April 2013 at 1:08pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 44
17 April 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I curious, what's the highest ease on your cards? If it's pretty low, then it's probably why you are finding the cards too easy.

Personally, I don't find that there's any such thing as "too easy" with Anki cards, or at least it's very rare. I can get an excellent memory boost with a 95% pass rate, and even then, the remaining cards are better off deleted or rewritten, because they usually turn into leeches. (I automatically suspend cards that I've missed 4 times after the first time they passed.)

I generally rely on two major kinds of cards:

1) Sentence comprehension cards. I copy a sentence from an online source, paste it into Anki, and boldface one or two interesting words. Then I grab definitions for those words from Le Wiktionnaire. If I can read the sentence and understand the boldfaced words, the card counts as a pass.

2) Fill-in-the-blank (or "cloze") cards. I use the cloze feature in Anki to delete one to three words that are highly predictable from context (typically parts of a fixed connector phrase). I pass the card if I can supply the missing word. If I guess a perfectly correct word that isn't the same as the "official" answer, I usually delete the card, or at least edit it to rule out any other answer.

This whole strategy is based on the fact that I absolutely detest doing Anki reviews full of old, familiar cards that I miss on a regular basis. Seriously, if I've had to reset a card two or three times, I'm not having fun, and it's using up a disproportionate amount of my study time. So I try to make easy cards that still teach me something new.

There's something about sentence cards and cloze cards that just sticks in my mind, the same way song lyrics do. But I generally only choose sentences that catch my eye for some reason, which probably helps.

Edited by emk on 17 April 2013 at 1:42pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 32 of 44
17 April 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
I usually use translations, but I mix up the base languages. Often the base is
French instead of English for this deck. For Russian it was always English.

Total cards:     1030
Total notes:     515
Lowest ease:     225%
Average ease:     268%
Highest ease:     295%

for the record.

Edited by tarvos on 17 April 2013 at 1:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version