44 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 41 of 44
17 April 2013 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
You can memorize the declension endings using Anki, but I find this pointless as
memorising the endings doesn't imply any useful knowledge of how to produce it in speech.
I've tried it with prepositions for Russian and found it ineffective.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 42 of 44
17 April 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
You can memorize the declension endings using Anki, but I find this pointless as
memorising the endings doesn't imply any useful knowledge of how to produce it in speech.
I've tried it with prepositions for Russian and found it ineffective.

This fits with an earlier discussion about how useful explicit grammar facts are in generating correct speech.

I can't see how they can be used on the fly to generate useful speech, but I can see how they are useful for parsing sentences when reading, perhaps more clearly recognizing aspects of grammar as you use the language, and perhaps as a way of giving yourself useful error feedback when you produce wrong output.

Perhaps it's just the nerdy side of me but I like to know how the rules for declination and the like without having to pick up a book.

I found Anki actually quite helpful for prepositions in German, but mostly from the 'sentence cards' not from explicit rules (though it doesn't hurt to have the various possible meanings of a preposition pop into your head, or to know explicitly that a particularly preposition is always associated with a particular case).

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 April 2013 at 4:38pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 43 of 44
17 April 2013 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
I put up tables for grammar on reference sheets and notes in notebooks; I just don't use
anki for it as I like to have "overview" tables. Anki would be fragmented; I use it for
irregular instances I need to drill, not for grammatical principles.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 44 of 44
17 April 2013 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I put up tables for grammar on reference sheets and notes in notebooks; I just don't use anki for it as I like to have "overview" tables. Anki would be fragmented; I use it for irregular instances I need to drill, not for grammatical principles.

That's interesting. I just keep all the tables in my grammar books, and use Anki for notes that I want to remember.

I should say that as I am not yet fluent in German so I am not even sure my methods work for me, perhaps I am using Anki wrongly, but I really like the simplicity of only having one place where all my notes are.

Having said that if I did have a computer crash and all my backups were destroyed it wouldn't really be the end of the World.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version