53 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 53
09 December 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Well, my French isn't optimal, but it works for the purpose of learning Breton (and also
it's got the most resources, so not knowing French is a drawback).
1 person has voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4918 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 10 of 53
11 December 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
S'mae

I'm so glad that the Celtic Team assembled and maybe before the year ends we will get some new members, who knows?

I think that we can wait a bit longer with creating the general TAC log.

Hwyl

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4161 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 11 of 53
11 December 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Noswaith dda, Gosiak! I'm really excited about the Celtic Team, too. Let's hope our example
encourages others to
sign on. :) How long have you been studying Welsh? I feel like there's a good chance that watching
you work on
Welsh will make me want to take it up again.

I guess we can wait a bit longer to start the team thread. It's just now that I've decided, I'm eager to
start on the
team as well!

Brezhoneg

I've been refamiliarizing myself with Breton by listening through the course I did last year and
going through the
first four lessons of Assimil. I also watched an episode of the 2min bemdez show linked to below.
I'm pretty
pleased with things coming back. Before my exam, I remembered "Chañs vat!" (good luck) Granted,
that's not
exactly the hardest thing to remember if one knows the French "bonne chance," but still. I wasn't
searching for it
and it popped in my head.

Some more Breton resources I found today:
An all-Breton blog: http://brezhoneg-digor.blogspot.fr/
More Breton tv: http://www.brezhoweb.com/Degemer.html (This 2min show teaches new vocab
everyday,
bemdez: http://www.brezhoweb.com/index.php/an_holl_brogrammou.html?r ubrique=10)
A LOT of recordings of Breton speakers (presenting themselves, telling stories, describing their
surroundings):
http://www.breton-locmaria.fr/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=7
A spoken "dictionary" (first you choose a region, then you choose a word, offerings are limited, but
it's good to
see the variety in dialects): http://dico.parlant.breton.free.fr/
A page for gwenedeg: http://membres.multimania.fr/bretonguened/

Deutsch
(Added corrections from Gosiak :) () denotes something was removed, bold denotes
something was added.)
11/12/2012
Ich habe dreißig Minuten () Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen gehört. Nach meiner Prüfung
heute Abend war ich sehr müde, so habe ich kein Deutsch studiert. Morgen gehe ich nach
Deutschland um Geschenke zu suchen. Ich denke, dass ich jetzt schlafen werde. Ich muss
vorher ein Brief auf Englisch für eine() Freundin korrigieren.

Corrections are always welcome.

Edited by Maïwenn on 11 December 2012 at 10:29pm

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4918 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 12 of 53
11 December 2012 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Noswaith dda Maïwenn :)

My corrections:
Ich habe dreißig Minuten Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen gehört (no 'von')
Ich denke,dass ich jetzt schlafen werde.
für eine Freundin - Akkusativ

My Welsh studies lack consistence and that is the main problem I started to learn Welsh when I was on an exchange in mid Wales 2 yars ago. Unfortunately I did not manage to enroll for an organised course since I arrived in February and all the regular courses started in September. I only managed to attend 3 or 4 language meetings organised for the Erazmus students by the students' union language officers. So I started to acquire/learn by myself using saysomethinginwelsh's free online course, short phrasebooks and advices of an extremely friendly shopkeeper who helped me with my pronunciation ('ch' and'll' were tricky at first). I did not have the courage to try and speak some Welsh but I managed to listen to various conversations, even political speeches and to decipher dozens of 'strange looking' names and inscriptions.
Now, after almost 2 yers I learn on and off and that has to change into more consistent pattern. I have a book in Welsh that I'd like to read someday :)
It would be brilliant if my slow (s)log would inspire you to revise your Welsh.

Pob lwc with Deutsch and Brezhoneg ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5348 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 13 of 53
11 December 2012 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
It's great to see such support and enthusiasm for Celtic languages already in the pre-dawn glow of the next TAC. I look forward to travelling this road together with you and the rest of the team, and wish everyone success with their goals in 2013!

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4161 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 

Message 14 of 53
11 December 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 

Diolch Gosiak! You haven't even started your log yet and you're already convincing me to bring back some of my old
Welsh materials with me after Christmas (they're CASSETTES they're that old). :D

And yay Teango! I can't wait to start our team! :)

I also have Irish and Scots Gaelic books.... Being in this group could be dangerous for me. The issue is I am
definitely planning on going to the Festival Interceltique in August where there will be so many speakers of all the
Celtic languages! It would be a shame not to prepare a little so as to take advantage.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4396 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 15 of 53
11 December 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Maïwenn wrote:

I also have Irish and Scots Gaelic books.... Being in this group could be dangerous for
me.

Good, good...give in to temptation ;). Cannot wait to start the challenge myself! Looking
forward to learning loads about these beautiful, noble but all too forgotten about
languages!

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4161 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 

Message 16 of 53
13 December 2012 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Outlining Goals

Brezhoneg

Current level: A1 for comprehension, less for production
Goal for August: B1
Goal for end of 2013: B2
Method:
Assimil Le Breton sans peine
Ni a gomz brezhoneg
Watching bemdez
http://www.brezhoweb.com/index.php/an_holl_brogrammou.html?r ubrique=10
Cours de breton avec Albert
http://www.radiobreizh.net/bzh/emission.php?emid=23
(Attempting) Reading Breton blogs

Deutsch

Current level: A2 across the board
Goal for June: B2
Goal for end of 2013: C1
Method:
(Informal) Half-Super Challenge (50-50) (I should take advantage of living somewhere with copious amounts of
German books in the library while I can)
Listening to at least 30 minutes a day (news, audiobooks, podcasts)
Perfectionnement allemand
Finishing Pimsleur (about to start III)
Language exchanges once a week
Writing at least a page a week

Update
Still slogging my way through 24 Stunden aus dem Leben einer Frau, listening to Harry Potter, doing a
Pimsleur a day and reading e-mails from Deutsche Welle. I went into Germany on Tuesday and got a little bit of
speaking practice in. It was fun just listening to the announcements and realizing how much I understood. It's a
great motivator. I bought a YA book for a euro about a girl who can fly. Once I finish the Zwieg book, I'll start on
that.

With Breton, I've been doing an assimil lesson a day and relistening to the Ni a gomz brezhoneg recordings.
There are a lot of things I now remember how to say but am unsure how to spell, for instance two of my favorite
exchanges, both from lesson 3:

Customer: Ur banne gwin ruz, mar plij. A glass of red wine, please
Barkeep: Ur banne gwin ruz! ... Setu A glass or red wine! ... Here you are
Customer: AHHH N'eo ket gwin! AHHH that's not wine!
Barkeep, indignant: N'eo ket gwin?? Petra eo neuze? It's not wine? Then what is it?
Customer: N'ouzon ket petra eo, met n'eo ket gwin. I don't know what it is, but it's not wine!

Man1: Petra eo-se? What's that?
Man2: Petra eo-se?...Ur c'hi, evel-just. What is it? A dog, of course.
Man1: Ur c'hi A dog
Man2: Ya, ur c'hi bras Yes, a big dog
Man1: Ur c'hi bras? N'eo ket ul leue kenta? Ul leue bihan? A dog? Isn't it an idiot? A liiiittle idiot?
Man2: Ul leue... hah... nann nann avat... te eo ul leue! An idiot... hah... no no no... YOU are the idiot!

The way that the guy says te o ul luie always gets stuck in my head, unfortunately, it's not exactly something you
can go around saying to people. Unless, of course, you want a punch. Check out the recording
here under "PETRA EO SE?"!!
http://www.kervarker.org/en/kentel03_01_diviz.html

(After writing this up, I realized that it's actually available on the web through kervarker, recordings can be found
here
http://www.kervarker.org/en/kentel03_01_diviz.html.)

Edited by Maïwenn on 13 December 2012 at 11:16am

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version