Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4161 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 41 of 53
01 March 2013 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Haha I know, but it's not that much shorter!

Brezhoneg
Assimil 38. Emaon o skrivañ ul lizher da ma mignoned e Breizh. Bremañ eo ar vakansoù, met ezhomm am eus
labourat.

Deutsch
Ich lese Der Sandmann. Am letzten Freitag habe ich mit Freunde "Ein Wochenende in Berlin" gespielt. Wir
haben viel über Berlin gelernt.

[U]中文/中国话[/U]
I went to a beginner's Chinese atelier last week and it became quickly apparent that I was a bit too advanced. I
don't think I would be ready for the A1/A2 atelier just yet. I realize that I have a major advantage with Chinese
because I studied it before, but even so it amazed the difficulty that others had with reproducing sounds the
teacher made. We also worked exclusively with one sentence the whole time and it was apparently a very difficult
concept for the other classmates.
台湾中国东南面
Taiwan [location] China [possessive] South East [orientation].
Basically, all we had to do was change out the underlined words.

Mini-March goals (per usual, it's going to be a busy month):
Read through a Breton article.
Read at least 5 pages in German a day. Go see a German movie.
1 Chinese Assimil lesson/day and keep up with all of the characters.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 42 of 53
01 March 2013 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
By the way, Maiwenn, how do you like Mandarin? Mine is nonexistent - Mandarin is one of
the languages I should get round to doing someday but have never even looked at. Do you
find it difficult? And as an English speaker, what are the main obstacles? (I usually use
English materials because Dutch ones tend to be terrible).

Edited by tarvos on 01 March 2013 at 5:30pm

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4414 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 43 of 53
03 March 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
How did you like "Ein Wochenende in Berlin" as a game? Was it fun to play or more of an educational tool? I have seen some advertisements for it but am wary. Maybe it is just a bad memory from my schooldays, but I have an aversion to educational games, even though I would love to find an interesting game to play that would give my language skills a boost as a painless side effect of having a great time.

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4161 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 44 of 53
06 March 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
@tarvos
I spent a while trying to think about how to respond to this. It's been a long time since Chinese was really new for
me and I don't remember it ever being particularly difficult (except for learning characters). Probably the most
difficult part has been pronunciation, especially since the accents seem to vary quite a lot across speakers. I had
a weekly class in high school with four teachers from two different regions (one was in the North and one was in
the South and sadly I can't remember where exactly) and I mostly practiced with my best friend's family who was
from yet another region.
This time around, I'm actually quite liking learning characters. It's something I can mentally practice even in class
without too much interference (as sometimes I'm just trying to commit characters to motor memory).

@BAnna
Yeahhh it was okay. I don't think it'd be worth buying, honestly. I figure if I wanted a game to really practice a
language, I would find a game in the language that actual people would play and not just language learners. It
wasn't too bad, but seemed to drag on at the end which is coloring my judgement somewhat (we finished after
2am I think).
On the other hand, it was a game chosen and owned by a German person.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4636 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 45 of 53
06 March 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Maïwenn wrote:
Deutsch
Ich lese Der Sandmann. Am letzten Freitag habe ich mit Freunden "Ein Wochenende in Berlin" gespielt. Wir haben viel über Berlin gelernt.

Just a mini-correction from my side. I hope your studies are going well.

Viele Grüße!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5348 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 46 of 53
16 March 2013 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
It's so cool to see dialogue on your thread in Breton... I could be way off here, but I'm guessing your last line said something about Emaon writing a letter to friends in Brittany, and Bremañ needing to work even though he's on holiday. Was I even close?? It looks like you're already well on the way to completing that first half of the passive wave through Assimil. Keep up the good work!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 47 of 53
16 March 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Hahahaha, no, she said she wanted to write a letter to her friends in Brittany - emaon is a verb form indicating first person. Bremañ means "today" quite simply.

You got the resr correct :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5348 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 48 of 53
17 March 2013 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Wahey...closer than anticipated! I still think Emaon and Bremañ would make a great couple. ;)

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version