United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 17 of 92
01 January 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Всем привет!

Я всем желаю больших успехов в изучении языков в этом году. Я уверен, что вместе, мы будем делать много услехов в наших языках. По многим причинам, я считаю, что это соревнование окажет лучше всех предыдущих сореднований. Во-первых, потому что у меня в этом году будет довольно времени, чтобы заниматься языками, и во-вторых, потому что в этом году двух совершенно новых команды есть, именно Команда Лугус и Команда Спарта. Я очень рад, что основали эти команды, потому что языки говоримые в этих командах делаются поважнее в этом году при нас в форуме. Я надеюсь, что это направление продолжится в будущих соревнованиях.

I wish everyone the very best of luck in their language studies this year! I am confident that together we’ll make loads of progress in our languages. For many reasons I think this challenge will turn out to be better than previous ones. Firstly because I will have plenty of time to study my languages this year, and secondly because there are two brand new teams this year, namely Team Lugus and Team Sparta. I am glad that these teams have been created because the languages spoken in these teams will become a little more important this year on the forum. I hope that this trend will continue in future challenges.

В этом сообщении я хочу рассказать о своих цилях для января. В этом году я намерываюсь поставить кратковременные цили, потому что я часто передумываю в течение соревнования. Я также думаю, что с кратковременными цилями будет легче измерять успехи.

In this post I want to outline my goals for January. This year I intend to set short-term goals because I often change my mind in the course of the challenge. I also think it will be easier to measure progress with short-term goals. And this part I will do in English:

So my goals for January are as follows:

Russian:

1.To improve my Russian cursive handwriting and generally write more in cursive. Mine never used to be bad and it’s perfectly legible now but I like really nice handwriting, and it’s not how I want it to look.
2.To get more of a grip on Russian aspect. I don’t feel like I’ve got it, especially with infinitives.
3.To improve my listening comprehension. Presently it’s rubbish, and it’s always been rubbish.

Greek:

1.To start getting used to the language and begin to develop very basic reading and listening skills.
2.To get used to using dead time to listen to Greek.
3.To practise Greek cursive again. Much like with Cyrillic, I never got my Greek cursive to look as I wanted it to.

German

1.To read 5 poems in German over the month and perhaps write a short non-academic commentary on them.
2.To listen to at least 3 full German news programmes.
3.To write a long essay (5000 words or more) on something.

I must stress that these goals are just for testing the water. I may well completely fail these beginning goals due to lack of time. Future updates will comment on this.

Thanks for reading!
Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 18 of 92
01 January 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Lofty goals and aspirations, but you will live up to them!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 92
01 January 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Monthly goals are a neat idea! Me like :-) I'll have to consider something like that too. Good luck on yours, I
am sure you will succeed!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 20 of 92
01 January 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
Всем привет!

Я всем желаю больших успехов в изучении языков в этом году. Я уверен, что вместе мы
будем делать много успехов в наших языках. По многим причинам я считаю, что это
соревнование окажетСЯ лучше всех предыдущих соревнований. Во-первых, потому что у меня
в этом году будет много времени, чтобы заниматься языками, а во-вторых, потому что в
этом году есть две совершенно новые (новых) команды, а именно Команда Лугус и Команда
Спарта. Я очень рад, что основали (better основаны) эти команды, потому что языки (это
совсем неправильная часть предложения, я ее разберу ниже). Я надеюсь, что это
продолжится в будущих соревнованиях.

I wish everyone the very best of luck in their language studies this year! I am
confident that together we’ll make loads of progress in our languages. For many reasons
I think this challenge will turn out to be better than previous ones. Firstly because I
will have plenty of time to study my languages this year, and secondly because there
are two brand new teams this year, namely Team Lugus and Team Sparta. I am glad that
these teams have been created because the languages spoken in these teams will become a
little more important this year on the forum. I hope that this trend will continue in
future challenges.

В этом сообщении я хочу рассказать о своих целях на январь. В этом году я намереваюсь
поставить кратковременные цели, потому что я часто передумываю в течение (меняю цели по
ходу) соревнования. Я также думаю, что с кратковременными целями будет легче оценивать
(оценить) успехи.

In this post I want to outline my goals for January. This year I intend to set short-
term goals because I often change my mind in the course of the challenge. I also think
it will be easier to measure progress with short-term goals. And this part I will do
in English:

Спасибо за пожелания. Если не возражаете, я исправлю ошибки.
"говорить" means to express one's thoughts orally or to pronounce something meaningful,
using humain languages. It is impossible therefore говорить языки because a language is
a system, a set of elements and rules. We can говорить слово, предложение in a
language, but not a language.
The word говорить is not correct here. Not only do you speak, but also write, read and
study those languages (read, write in those languages), so it is better to say языки,
которые мы в этих командах изучаем, Then you should translate "will become" as it is -
станут. языки, которые мы в этих командах изучаем, станут на форуме более важными.

riff
United States
Joined 5089 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 92
01 January 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Привет, LanguageSponge! I completely agree with what you said about language courses.
I've taken a few myself, although no degree in Russian (it wasn't an option at my
university, sadly), and they didn't really seem to make a dent in the language for me.
Probably the most beneficial thing I got out of them was learning to read and write
Cyrillic, although you could just as easily learn that on your own. I look forward to
following your progress and attempting to decipher your log entries :). Успехов!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5053 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 22 of 92
01 January 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I also like your idea of having monthly goals. I wish you lots of success, and I look
forward to following your progress in Russian. Успехов, и С Новым Годом!

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 23 of 92
01 January 2013 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Здравствуйте, Марк. Спасибо вам большое за исправления. Я никогда не буду возражать исправлениям, так как испавления - единственный путь к знанию. Я - благодарен, что вы объяснили применение слова "говорить". Между прочим, вы хотите, чтобы я обяснил ваши ошибки в английском в обмен?

---

Heute habe ich den Tag damit verbracht, Assimil Griechisch ohne Mühe passiv anzuhören und die letzten Vorbereitungen auf die Herausforderung fertig zu machen. Morgen fange ich an, die ersten Audiodateien aktiv anzuhören, um festzustellen, wie viel ich ohne Abschrift verstehe. Höchstwahrscheinlich werde ich nach den ersten Dateien nur einzelne Wörter begreifen, doch ich erwarte, mich ganz schnell an den Klang des Griechischen zu gewöhnen.

Today I've spent the day clearing up the last bits of admin for the challenge to begin properly. I've been listening to Assimil Griechisch passively all day, including as I'm writing this, and unless I'm imagining it, I think I've got a little more used to the sound of Greek even in the last twelve hours. We'll see tomorrow just how much this helps when I start listening actively, and then a little later on in the day I'll start using the book to read along with the audio. Tomorrow I plan to get started on the month's goals outlined above.

Jack

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 24 of 92
02 January 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Hi LanguageSponge!

The idea of short-term goals does sound eminently reasonable, especially for someone like me who’s hopeless when it comes to making plans and then sticking to them.

It will be great to see if this method works, so apart from being a fellow team MIR member, that’s another good reason for keeping up with your log.

Ti auguro un fantastico 2013 e un piacevole e proficuo soggiorno in Cina.

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version