Groupie
United States
Joined 4182 days ago

56 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Greek, Latin, French

Message 25 of 92
02 January 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Hi, LanguageSponge! I think it's a good idea to have short-term goals because it makes learning languages more manageable. I look forward to seeing your progress!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 26 of 92
02 January 2013 at 7:45am | IP Logged 

I like your monthly goal idea, too. Don't tell anyone, but I already copied it. :)

Shh! Imitation is the best form of flattery. :)

I am looking forward to watching your progress in Russian and Greek. I've always wanted to learn Greek. I want to retire to some beautiful Greek island. :)

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4433 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 27 of 92
02 January 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Hi LanguageSponge. I just wanted to drop by to wish you all the best for 2013. Since we share both Russian and Greek and are together on Team Sparta, I will follow your log with great interest.

As others have said, setting monthly goals seems like a good idea. I'll certainly consider that approach myself.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5560 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 28 of 92
02 January 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments, they're very much appreciated. I think using monthly goals will be more efficient for me because, like Emme, I am really bad at sticking with plans, and then when it dawns on me how badly I'm falling behind, I get demotivated and yet more laziness follows, resulting in my getting remarkably little done.

Emme wrote:
Ti auguro un fantastico 2013 e un piacevole e proficuo soggiorno in Cina.

Grazie mille, Emme. Trovo il cinese molto difficile a causa dei caratteri. Oltretutto, trovo frustrante ascoltare gente sulla strada e non capire un'acca! Sono abituato all'Europa, dove posso capire il succo di una conversazione in molte lingue europee, quindi la Cine è una sfida. Riesco a farmi capire ma parlo male. In cinese, sarò il vocabolario vecchio di 3 anni. La cultura è molto differente dalle altre culture che ho conoscute prima e benché io abiti lì da tre mesi, oggi giorno scopro qualcosa di nuovo. Correggimi per favore,Emme, sono certo che ci siano molti errori! :)

Kerrie wrote:
I like your monthly goal idea, too. Don't tell anyone, but I already copied it. :)

Shh! Imitation is the best form of flattery. :)

I am looking forward to watching your progress in Russian and Greek. I've always wanted to learn Greek. I want to retire to some beautiful Greek island. :)

Imitation is indeed the best form of flattery. Flattery is an odd feeling, I don't get flattered very often. Also that's another reason I'm learning Greek, Kerrie: To retire on some beautiful Greek island :)

---

Today I've got a few bits I need to do for work, which aren't urgent but they're a pain for I want to get them out of the way. After that I'll go to see some relatives and then I'll be free to carry on with what I'm doing now - Greek :) I also want to get half of the Little Challenges list for Team Sparta done today, but that may be a little ambitious.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 02 January 2013 at 11:52am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 29 of 92
02 January 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
Здравствуйте, Марк. Спасибо вам большое за исправления. Я никогда
не буду возражать против исправлений, так как исправления - единственный путь к знанию. Я
благодарен, что вы объяснили применение (better употребление) слова "говорить". Между
прочим, вы хотите, чтобы я объяснил ваши ошибки в английском в обмен?

Да, конечно, буду очень рад.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 30 of 92
02 January 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi there LanguageSponge!

The idea of short, monthly goals sounds nice indeed, I just don't know how I could make
it work out for me. I do have some shorter goals that are the textbooks I'm using. Apart
from Assimil and Méthode 90, the other textbooks I use usually have a shorter number of
lessons, and yet I still do 1 lesson a day. So, it takes me about 3 weeks to finish a
book like Colloquial, TY or Living Language, and I see these as short goals. At times I
even doubled the study of a day in order to finish a book sooner (that was the case with
Hugo's Norwegian in three months, which I liked btw).

Hope you can achieve your goals for Russian and the other languages!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4509 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 31 of 92
02 January 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Hey LanguageSponge!

Thanks for your kind comment on my log, and I'm glad to be your teammate! We'll be in touch throughout this year!

Your monthly goal idea is great, and I'll try to copy that =P Also very interesting to read your story with language. I also love history!

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5560 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 32 of 92
02 January 2013 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Hi there LanguageSponge!

The idea of short, monthly goals sounds nice indeed, I just don't know how I could make
it work out for me. I do have some shorter goals that are the textbooks I'm using.
Apart from Assimil and Méthode 90, the other textbooks I use usually have a shorter
number of lessons, and yet I still do 1 lesson a day. So, it takes me about 3 weeks to
finish a book like Colloquial, TY or Living Language, and I see these as short goals.
At times I even doubled the study of a day in order to finish a book sooner (that was
the case with Hugo's Norwegian in three months, which I liked btw).

Hope you can achieve your goals for Russian and the other languages!

Hi Expugnator! Personally I've tried just having long-term goals and it doesn't really
seem to get me anywhere. I always end up falling behind and I'm a perfectionist,
supposedly, so falling behind really gets to me. If I go for smaller goals throughout
the year I'm much more likely to get something worthwhile done by the end. It'll
probably take me a month or two to get the workload right, but once I've got it, it'll
be much more productive for me than the normal long-term goals. I've got bad eyesight
you see, I can't see that far ahead :D

fabriciocarraro wrote:
Hey LanguageSponge!

Thanks for your kind comment on my log, and I'm glad to be your teammate! We'll be in
touch throughout this year!

Your monthly goal idea is great, and I'll try to copy that =P Also very interesting to
read your story with language. I also love history!

Hey :) Thanks for your comment. Hmm, the essay that I will be writing as one of my
German goals will be on some form of history I imagine, or draw parallels to history.
Can you read German? You may be interested to read it once it's done!

--

Heute habe ich damit verbracht, den "Kleinen Herausforderungen" für Mannschaft MIR den
letzten Schliff zu geben. Morgen verbringe ich damit, das Gleiche für Mannschaft Sparta
zu erschaffen. Morgen fange ich auch an, an den kleineren Ziele für Januar zu arbeiten,
die ich mir gesetzt habe.

Today I've spent the day putting the final touches to Team MIR's Little Challenges and
will be spending tomorrow creating the same for Team Sparta. This really is taking a
lot longer than I wanted it to but it's going to be worth it once it's done, I hope. I
guess being back home for New Year means a bit more to me than I thought. Tomorrow I
will also start on some of the smaller goals I have set out for myself for January.

Jack

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version