Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 41 of 92
04 January 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Hi back Jack! Will be following this with interest (the Russian part, that is ;), and I mean it -- you've probably made me try harder than ever in the last 6 months to make out the meaning of some Russian text with your parallel posting.

Having something I'm sure to understand as a fallback makes all the difference, for that way I can figure rather quickly whether I'm going astray or I'm getting the Russian right. That coupled with Mapk's almost 'live' corrections so your Russian doesn't go bananas either can be a very interesting asset.

Looks like I'll always have something to have a look at even if I'm not in the mood to study. Hope you keep it up!
1 person has voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5474 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 42 of 92
04 January 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Hey Jack. Nice log you have here. I'm actually really looking forward to your Chinese progress! I think I read somewhere that you'll be using Assimil Chinese for this. Tell me what you think. It was my first experience of language learning (at least semi-independently) and I remember the long while it took for the language to just 'click' into place. After that, it felt a bit easier.

Your Russian is quite advanced compared to myself, but I can make out bits and phrases. Your writing is inspiring. :D Keep it up!

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5560 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 43 of 92
04 January 2013 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
@ Solfrid Cristin - Спасибо, Кристина, но Марк изменил некоторые другие мелочи. Существительные, заканчивающиеся на мягкий знак, могут быть как мужского (день), так и женского (ночь) рода. Нет никаких средних существительных, заканчивающиеся на мягкий знак. Большинство из них - женского рода, но я почему-то забыл. Можно с уверенностью сказать, что когда видишь новое существительное на -ь, это женского рода. Например, все существительные на -ность, кроме "гость", женского рода. "Гость" мужского рода. Существительные мужского рода на -ь все реже и реже, так что ты должна просто запомнить те, что находишь.

Thanks Cristina, but Марк changed some other little things as well. Nouns that end in a soft sign (ь) can be either masculine (like день) or feminine (ночь). There are no neuter nouns ending in a soft sign. Most of them are feminine, but I forgot somehow. You can safely assume when you meet a new soft sign noun, that it is feminine. For example, all nouns in -ность are feminine, apart from гость which is masculine. Masculine nouns in the soft sign are few and far between, so you should just memorise the ones you meet.

mrwarper, я рад, что ты собираешься следить за моим журналом, хотя и я пишу очень просто пишу, а это улучшится со времением. Я не сдаваюсь. Если я так держаю, мой уровень в русском будет к концу года намного лучше. mrwarper, I am glad that you intend to follow my log, even though I write very simply, but that will improve over time. I will not give up. If I keep this up, my Russian will have improved a lot by the end of the year.

@ Toffeeliz

Hi! Thanks for your comment! You probably read that a while back when I was going to be doing Mandarin over with Team 鶴, but I decided that because I am living in China until at least October of 2013, it would be safe for me to study other languages for the TAC. I am mostly focusing on spoken Mandarin for survival purposes but I do not intend to leave China until I have got Mandarin by the scruff of the neck. I could post occasional updates on my Mandarin here if you like, or you can ask me over PM about it, I'll leave that decision up to you :) My Mandarin is completely crap and I can presently only really talk about food and order kids around.

I can however read a fair amount more than I originally thought, although that's not through conscious studying. In my last year of school I got the highest grade of any student my two German teachers had ever taught, and my teachers bought me two books a for studying so hard. Other departments did this for their highest performing students too. One teacher and I had Russian as a common studying language, so he bought me a Russian grammar book written in Russian which I treasure to this day - it's called Грамматика русского языка в иллюстрациях if anyone's interested. It was published in 1990. The other teacher bought me a book on traditional Chinese characters, which until I got to uni just gathered dust on my shelf. When I got to uni I was really bored with Russian. I was not good enough to go into the advanced level class, but I was way too high for the ab initio class. I stayed in the ab initio class and wondered how I could pass the time while the others caught up with me, and I chose to learn to read and write some of the characters from the Chinese book my old German teacher had bought me. And now it's paid dividends. There are still loads I can't read, but I can read much more than my British co-workers who have been in China for more than seven years... I don't know what it is about foreigners in China who don't bother learning the language.

Right, I'm off to write some more of my German essay and listen to more Greek.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 04 January 2013 at 2:45pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 44 of 92
04 January 2013 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
@ Solfrid Cristin - Спасибо, Кристина, но Марк изменил
некоторые другие мелочи. Существительные, заканчивающиеся на мягкий знак, могут быть
как мужского (день), так и женского (ночь) рода. Нет никаких существительных среднего
рода, заканчивающихся на мягкий знак. Большинство из них - женского рода, но я почему-
то забыл об этом. Можно с уверенностью сказать, что когда видишь новое существительное
на -ь, оно женского рода. Например, все существительные на -ость, кроме "гость",
женского рода. "Гость" мужского рода. Существительных мужского рода на -ь значительно
меньше, так что ты должна просто запомнить те, что находишь (встречаешь).

Thanks Cristina, but Марк changed some other little things as well. Nouns that end in a
soft sign (ь) can be either masculine (like день) or feminine (ночь). There are no
neuter nouns ending in a soft sign. Most of them are feminine, but I forgot somehow.
You can safely assume when you meet a new soft sign noun, that it is feminine. For
example, all nouns in -ность are feminine, apart from гость which is masculine.
Masculine nouns in the soft sign are few and far between, so you should just memorise
the ones you meet.

mrwarper, я рад, что ты собираешься следить за моим журналом, хотя я и пишу очень
просто, но это улучшится со временем. Я не сдаюсь. Если я буду так держать, мой уровень
русского будет к концу года намного лучше. mrwarper, I am glad that you intend to
follow my log, even though I write very simply, but that will improve over time. I will
not give up. If I keep this up, my Russian will have improved a lot by the end of the
year.

@ Toffeeliz

Hi! Thanks for your comment! You probably read that a while back when I was going to be
doing Mandarin over with Team 鶴, but I decided that because I am living in China until
at least October of 2013, it would be safe for me to study other languages for the TAC.
I am mostly focusing on spoken Mandarin for survival purposes but I do not intend to
leave China until I have got Mandarin by the scruff of the neck. I could post
occasional updates on my Mandarin here if you like, or you can ask me over PM about it,
I'll leave that decision up to you :) My Mandarin is completely crap and I can
presently only really talk about food and order kids around.

I can however read a fair amount more than I originally thought, although that's not
through conscious studying. In my last year of school I got the highest grade of any
student my two German teachers had ever taught, and my teachers bought me two books a
for studying so hard. Other departments did this for their highest performing students
too. One teacher and I had Russian as a common studying language, so he bought me a
Russian grammar book written in Russian which I treasure to this day - it's called
Грамматика русского языка в иллюстрациях if anyone's interested. It was
published in 1990. The other teacher bought me a book on traditional Chinese
characters, which until I got to uni just gathered dust on my shelf. When I got to uni
I was really bored with Russian. I was not good enough to go into the advanced level
class, but I was way too high for the ab initio class. I stayed in the ab initio class
and wondered how I could pass the time while the others caught up with me, and I chose
to learn to read and write some of the characters from the Chinese book my old German
teacher had bought me. And now it's paid dividends. There are still loads I can't read,
but I can read much more than my British co-workers who have been in China for more
than seven years... I don't know what it is about foreigners in China who don't bother
learning the language.

Right, I'm off to write some more of my German essay and listen to more Greek.

Jack

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 45 of 92
04 January 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Hey! I just want to say I'm looking forward to those challenges your wrote, and I thank
you for taking the time to come up with them! :)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 46 of 92
05 January 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
[...]

Grazie mille, Emme. Trovo il cinese molto difficile a causa dei caratteri. Oltretutto, trovo frustrante ascoltare gente sulla strada e non capire un'acca! Sono abituato all'Europa, dove posso capire il succo di una conversazione in molte lingue europee, quindi la Cine è una sfida. Riesco a farmi capire ma parlo male. In cinese, sarò il vocabolario vecchio di 3 anni. La cultura è molto differente dalle altre culture che ho conoscute prima e benché io abiti lì da tre mesi, oggi giorno scopro qualcosa di nuovo. Correggimi per favore,Emme, sono certo che ci siano molti errori! :)

Ciao, Jack!

Scusa se ci ho messo un paio di giorni per tornare al tuo log, ma sto ancora cercando di mettermi in pari con i post di tutti i membri del team MIR e del team Viking e non ci sono ancora riuscita. L’inizio del TAC è stato davvero impressionante per il numero di messaggi postati.

Comunque non temere, il tuo Italiano è eccellente e a parte una frase è tutto assolutamente comprensibile e pressoché perfetto.

Il problema è nella frase
Quote:
In cinese, sarò il vocabolario vecchio di 3 anni.

Immagino volessi dire qualcosa come: “In cinese avrò il vocabolario di un bambino di tre anni” (I’ve got the vocabulary of a three-year old). Ma la tua frase sembra più “In cinese avrò un vocabolario vecchio di tre anni” (I’ve got the vocabulary of three years ago, i.e. it’s not updated). Naturalmente vocabolario qui è inteso come insieme di parole che uno conosce e non come sinonimo di dizionario.

Andando in cerca del pelo sull’uovo (conosci, vero, quest’espressione?), ti faccio ancora qualche appunto.

Sebbene il termine “carattere” sia la giusta traduzione di “character” io qui preferirei usare la parola ideogramma (anche se Wikipedia suggerisce che “ ideogramma”, non essendo più ritenuto corretto dai linguisti, dovrebbe essere sostituito da “pittogramma”), dato che in Italiano la locuzione è “carattere cinese” ed è un po’ insolito trovare la parola “carattere” da sola. Suppongo dipenda dal fatto che il termine “carattere”, come sicuramente sai, ha tanti significati e quello di ideogramma/pittogramma è un po’ di nicchia, quindi va specificato con l’aggiunta di un aggettivo.

“Trovo frustrante ascoltare la gente per strada e non capire/capirci un’acca. Sono abituato all’Europa dove riesco a capire il succo …”

Dopo “sono certo” io qui userei l’indicativo (mentre se avessi scritto “credo” avrei usato senza dubbio il congiuntivo). E’ solo una sfumatura, e grammaticalmente la tua scelta è ineccepibile, solo che usando il congiuntivo viene un po’ meno la certezza che invece era stata dichiarata dalla tua frase di apertura “sono certo”. (L’uso del congiuntivo è un grosso problema anche per gli Italiani madrelingua. Grazie al mio dialetto tendenzialmente uso abitualmente e naturalmente il congiuntivo secondo le regole dell’italiano standard, ma effettivamente lo si sente usare sempre più raramente. Qui stiamo comunque parlando di grammatica descrittiva e non prescrittiva).

Per finire ci sono un paio di errorini di ortografia (probabilmente hai solo sbagliato a digitare sulla tastiera): “conosciute/o”, “Cina” e “ogni giorno”. (Il termine “oggigiorno” esiste e significa “nowadays”).

Chiedi pure se non sono stata abbastanza chiara.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4509 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 47 of 92
06 January 2013 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Have a nice trip, Jack! =)

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5560 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 48 of 92
07 January 2013 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks fabriciocarraro! I did have a nice trip, thanks. It was a bit more hectic than had originally been planned because there was fog in England and due to that, my flights got moved and all sorts of stuff and I ended up going via Paris. It was however nice to go back to France, even if it was just for a few hours, and practise my French. It's nice to see that it hasn't left me at all. I will update more later as I've just got home, am knackered, and am going to get something to eat and straighten this place out.

Jack

Edited for an idiotic spelling mistake.

Edited by LanguageSponge on 07 January 2013 at 12:53pm

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version