Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4160 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 73 of 329
08 January 2013 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
What a great log! So inspiring for french.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4467 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 74 of 329
08 January 2013 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
tastyonions wrote:
Does anyone here have experience with the Grammaire Progressive Du Français?: link

The Amazon reviews are mostly good, and I can remember someone recommending the Niveau Perfectionnement elsewhere, but I was curious if anyone had used the intermediate level book before. I thought it might be good after I finish Assimil NFWE, to clarify and tighten up my grasp of grammar.

You can browse the table of contents and first several pages on Amazon.fr. It looks pretty reasonable, if maybe a bit easy for an "intermediate" book. There should be "See also" links for the other volumes in the series. I really do like Perfectionnement, now that I've had a few weeks to flip through it. When in doubt, err on the difficult side with this series; they seem to recapitulate a lot.

My other recommendation is, of course, Essential French Grammar, which is nice if you want a really concise overview and want to spend $6.

Thanks for the tips. That Essential French Grammar looks like a nice deal. I may just get that, work through it pretty thoroughly, and then get the Niveau Perfectionnement later on.

renaissancemedi wrote:
What a great log! So inspiring for french.

Thank you! :-)

Edited by tastyonions on 08 January 2013 at 12:04pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4467 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 75 of 329
08 January 2013 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Started pretty early today.

1. Assimil Lesson 89 (Passive): This one was kind of in the middle, as far as difficulty goes. New vocab:

nulle part (Je n'en ai trouvé nulle part)
compter
coureur
courir
_ fois de suite
étape contre la montre

I mixed up "apporté" and "a porté" in my transcription.

Assimil seems to be stressing the pattern "ne [verbe] que..." a good bit lately.

2. Assimil Lesson 40 (Active): Not too bad. For some reason I wanted to write "au même temps" rather than "en même temps" and "on trouve là" rather than "on y trouve." And I forgot the words and expressions "éventaire", "haricots", and "marchand de primeurs," and couldn't remember the gender of "carottes." :-P

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4467 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 76 of 329
08 January 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
1. Today I was saving an interview I had recorded, when I came across another interview on my hard drive that I hadn't listened to in at least six months, and decided to check it out. It was an awesome experience: where before I had understood maybe 10% of it, I understood probably 85-90% today!

That gave me a little idea, call it the Comprehension Time Capsule. A few weeks after first starting a language, find a recording at least a few minutes long, at full native speed and vocabulary level. Listen to it a few times, just seeing what you can get out of it (probably hardly anything) by audio alone, and don't look anything up. Leave it alone and forget about it completely for six months. :-P Then listen to it again!

I'm definitely going to do that for any future languages. :-)

2. Words and expressions learned so far from France Info and net surfing today:

échec scolaire
le propre de l'homme
avoir pour l'ambition
tant mieux
en l'occurrence
montrer du doigt
mettre en place
souci (I can't believe I never looked this up before...)

Edited by tastyonions on 08 January 2013 at 2:23pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4490 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 77 of 329
08 January 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
I've certainly made a point of noticing these differences, whether in listening or reading comprehension. I read Le
Petit Prince within weeks of starting French, and have re-read it more or less every 3-4 months since (thus, 3 times
now, I think) and it was remarkable to see how much easier it got and and how much more I understood each time
through. RFI's Français Facile broadcasts, while they change, have been a similar benchmark for me along the way.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4467 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 78 of 329
09 January 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
1. Assimil Lesson 90 (Passive): Not that tough. A number of things were taken from the previous lesson. This one dealt a lot with question forms, going over the more formal inverted type with a bunch of examples. Since it seems like people rarely use this form in real conversations, I was wondering how I could rephrase some of the questions. In particular, I've heard this kind of thing a number of times:

Il est où ?
Vous-êtes qui ?

So could I rephrase Assimil's question "Quand le Tour de France a-t-il été créé ?" as "Le Tour de France a été créé quand ?" Or would this be better?: "Quand est-ce que le Tour de France a été créé ?" Or is there even a preferred way between those two?

I don't think any of the words were new to me this time, though I may not have seen a few of them in Assimil yet.

2. Assimil Lesson 41 (Active): Not too bad either. I couldn't remember a few vocab words and shamefully missed "s'en aller" for "to go away." Definitely need to keep that one in my active vocab... :-P

Edited by tastyonions on 09 January 2013 at 2:26pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4509 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 79 of 329
09 January 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
"Le Tour de France a été créé quand ?"

I think I would say this to my best friend. The other one I might say if I know the
person a little less well. But they are both correct I think. I particularly like the
first.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4467 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 80 of 329
09 January 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the comment, tarvos.

--

I scheduled a one-hour session for Friday with a French tutor on italki! Since I've never spoken French with a single soul in my life, I imagine this will be pretty nerve-racking. But I think it will get easier. :-P

Edited by tastyonions on 09 January 2013 at 10:19pm

This discussion contains 329 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version