United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4466 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 49 of 329
31 December 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I went on Verbling today and had a nice guy from Algeria practice his English (which seemed significantly better than my French, judging by this short impression) for ten minutes or so. He brought up the fact that I had French as my TL in my profile, but I shied away and said we could start with just English. One day I'll actually get myself to speak French with a native speaker. One day...and hopefully the day will come before I actually travel to France. :-)

Edited by tastyonions on 31 December 2012 at 12:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4466 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 50 of 329
01 January 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I fell a bit behind in the past couple days, both with Assimil and with recording things. I caught myself up on Assimil this morning, though, and I should have time to record a bit after I get back home today, or if not then, tomorrow morning. I'll probably study for much of the plane ride as well.

Edited by tastyonions on 04 January 2013 at 12:44pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4466 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 51 of 329
04 January 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
1. I got rather lazy over the past week, and was partly excusing it because of my suboptimal environment for learning (busy traveling, unpacking, taking care of errands and financial stuff, blah blah blah). I did actually do plenty of stuff on the plane, though, including making some flashcards from Assimil. I'm feeling myself drawn more and more to active stuff these days, and find I'm having a harder time sitting still long enough for the passive lessons. But I still intend to complete the NFWE course within the next few months, because it has improved my comprehension *a lot* up to this point.

2. Also, I got all my stuff ready to apply for a passport. I've never needed one before, and even though getting the documentation in order was kind of annoying, it's also sort of exciting.

3. Finally, over the Christmas break I requested and received the help of a native speaker who was kind enough to listen to my recordings. He pointed out an issue with my vowels but said that I was pretty much on the right track with my pronunciation, which is encouraging. :-)

Edited by tastyonions on 04 January 2013 at 1:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5135 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 52 of 329
04 January 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Isn't it just great to get that kind of positive reinforcement!
3 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4466 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 53 of 329
04 January 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Indeed!

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4466 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 54 of 329
04 January 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Back on track with NFWE today.

1. Lesson 85 (Passive): This one was pretty simple, I thought, apart from some unknown vocab terms:

un toit
un mendiant
une cave
fameux / fameuse
le pire
troisième âge (this was easy to guess)

I thought it was interesting that the lesson called "habiter" a "false friend," I guess because it looks like "habit." But from the first time I saw it, I had guessed that it meant something like "inhabit" rather than anything like "(to have a) habit."

2. Lesson 36 (Active): This one was really easy for me. I think I remembered everything other than the verb for "to iron" (repasser).

Lately I've been flipping to the English side of random lessons and seeing how close I can get to the French version with an on-the-fly interpretation. I think it's pretty fun, and useful as well. I remember when I first started learning French, some family members would ask me "How would you say _ in French?" and I was often at a loss, but I think I'd be able to do a lot more now. :-)

3. One thing I want to start doing is to try and activate my knowledge of the imparfait and futur simple. I'm decent at recognizing them now but I think it's time I got some good reflexes for using them, too.

Edited by tastyonions on 04 January 2013 at 4:26pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4466 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 55 of 329
04 January 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
"Saviez-vous que les plantes adorent la musique ? Oui, vraiment. Ainsi vos plantes vertes poussent mieux grâce à des ondes sonores agréables. Alors regardez vite de quel genre de musique vos plantes sont fans."

site (heard an ad for it on France Inter today)

And I decided to record my version of the text, basically no rehearsal: audio

I think I may just record whatever happens to catch my attention each day, rather than trying to stick to a given set of materials for my little recording project. It should make it a bit more fun and motivating, and make it likely that I'll do more. The recording seems pretty decent to me, other than the "sont" that I thought sounded too much like "sans" at first (which you can hear me try to correct immediately).

Edited by tastyonions on 04 January 2013 at 5:39pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4466 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 56 of 329
05 January 2013 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I watched OSS117: Lost In Rio (subtitled on Netflix) today and really enjoyed it. It's a really goofy spoof of "superspy" type films (like 007), in which the "superspy" hero is of highly questionable competence but still manages to survive all kinds of ordeals. There was one line by the protagonist (played by Jean Dujardin) that stuck in my head for some reason, and which I paused the movie to write down:

"Avec moi, les histoires d'amour ne s'écrivent pas dans le temps, ce sont des histoires courtes, compactes, passionnelles. D'aucuns ont des aventures... Je suis une aventure."

This discussion contains 329 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version