Czech Republic
Joined 5146 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 25 of 96
30 January 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Našiel som učebnicu s cvičeniami, ktorá porovnáva slovenčinu so češtinou.

Díky moc! To bude pro mne zajímavá učebnice.
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5146 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 26 of 96
30 January 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
V poslední době jsem moc času neměl, protože jsem tady měl návštěvu (bratr) z Anglie. Toto znamenalo, že jsem se vůbec neučil, ale výhoda v tom byla, že jsem alespoň musel pořád překládat z angličtiny do češtiny a zpátky. Dělal jsem to skoro bez přestávky a nakonec jsem si začal plést jazyky a někdy jsem překládal z češtiny do jiné češtiny nebo mluvil jsem anglicky čechům a tak dále. Jako vždycky to bylo skvělý zážitek a moc jsem si to užil, škoda, že můj bratr právě odjel.

Kromě tohoto, asi hodinu jsem dneska četl časopis, když jsem čekal na vlak a před hodinou jsem napsal dlouhý dopis mému kostarickému kamarádovi.

Nová slovenská slova (NEW SLOVAK WORDS) -

CIKAŤ = to piss (Czech = ČURAT)

JESEŇ = Autumn (Czech = PODZIM)

KEL = Cabbage (Czech = KAPUSTA)

RÚRA = Oven (Czech = TROUBA)

ŽUR(IK) = party (Czech = MEJDAN)

KEL means TUSK in Czech (maybe in Slovak too) and ROURA (like RÚRA from Slovak) means PIPE in Czech. Please correct me if any of these Slovak translations are wrong.

Edited by hribecek on 30 January 2013 at 12:33pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 27 of 96
30 January 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
The common word for cabbage in Czech is zelí, as in Vepřo-knedlo-zelo. Kapusta is some other kind of green veg/cabbage type thing called Kel(?). Not an expert on cabbage. Perhaps Majka or Cavesa can enlighten us.

I remember I was once in Portugal interpreting between Portuguese and French friends. That also got very confusing, with me translating in the wrong language to the wrong person. It was good fun, though.

Edited by stelingo on 30 January 2013 at 5:38pm

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4454 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 28 of 96
30 January 2013 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
OK, here we go:

Czech: zelí, English: cabbage, Slovak: kapusta (in vepřo-knedlo-zelo and kyselé zelí)
Czech: kapusta, English: cale, Slovak: kel (in kapustové karbanátky, maso v kapustě /or even "maso v kelu"/)

and then, there is růžičková kapusta

Re: translating from Czech into Czech, from German into German, translating 4 languages at same time and forgetting who speaks which one - been there, done it myself. The 4 languages at the same time were fun, but only for a short time. 40 minutes later, I was wiped.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6953 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 29 of 96
30 January 2013 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Majka wrote:
OK, here we go:

Czech: zelí, English: cabbage, Slovak: kapusta (in vepřo-knedlo-zelo and kyselé zelí)
Czech: kapusta, English: cale, Slovak: kel (in kapustové karbanátky, maso v kapustě /or even "maso v kelu"/)

and then, there is růžičková kapusta

Re: translating from Czech into Czech, from German into German, translating 4 languages at same time and forgetting who speaks which one - been there, done it myself. The 4 languages at the same time were fun, but only for a short time. 40 minutes later, I was wiped.

This comparison of zelí, kapusta, kel reminds me a little of the distinction between "corn" and "wheat" in English even though the "Englishes" aren't "different languages" as Czech and Slovak are.

To (North) Americans:

is "corn"
is "wheat"

To many English-speakers outside North America

is "corn"
is "maize"

"corn" can refer to whatever grain is common in the area of the speech community and this explains the different species associated with the term. For example "corn" to someone in Scotland can mean what others know as "barley" or "oats". See this article for more detail.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5146 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 30 of 96
30 January 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
The common word for cabbage in Czech is zelí, as in Vepřo-knedlo-zelo. Kapusta is some other kind of green veg/cabbage type thing called Kel(?). Not an expert on cabbage. Perhaps Majka or Cavesa can enlighten us.

I find that zelí is different to our common version of cabbage and usually translate that to English as "Sauerkraut".

I've never seen the typical English cabbage (for me kapusta) eaten in Czech Republic, so I tend to say that kapusta is cabbage and zelí is sauerkraut (which I've never seen eaten in England). I'm no cabbage expert though and have never heard of "Cale" in English.

In the town where I live, the native English speakers have developed their own little dialect and "zelí" is an example of a word that we´ve taken from Czech and use in our English.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5146 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 31 of 96
30 January 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

To many English-speakers outside North America

is "corn"
is "maize"

"corn" can refer to whatever grain is common in the area of the speech community and this explains the different species associated with the term. For example "corn" to someone in Scotland can mean what others know as "barley" or "oats". See this article for more detail.
For me the top one is corn and the bottom one sweetcorn or corn on the cob. :)))

Edited by hribecek on 30 January 2013 at 8:01pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 32 of 96
30 January 2013 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
stelingo wrote:

I find that zelí is different to our common version of cabbage and usually translate that to English as "Sauerkraut".

It's still cabbage, do a google image search for zeli.

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version