Diglot
Poland
Joined 5525 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 65 of 96
16 June 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
I have seen quite a few Czech movies because two or three years ago I would watch every film I could get my hands on. Czech cinema and literature have good reputation in PL so it's not that uncommon. And I'm not even talking about any artsy stuff, but mainstream culture.

I watched films by Jan Hrebejk, Jan Sverak, Zdenek Sverak and various others. From the ones you've mentioned I've seen Pelisky (directed by Hrebejk) which I also really liked. I'll see whether I can find the other too. I'll happily read your other recommendations. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4656 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 66 of 96
16 June 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Hříbeček, you seem to want to rule the whole Central Europe, don't you? :D

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5146 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 67 of 96
17 June 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
@Pesahson - So what about Polish films? I haven't heard anything positive or negative about them.

Some films that come to mind (1 or 2 of them are maybe not generally that popular but I like them) are (without Czech letters) -

Vrchni prchni
Na samote u lesa
S tebou me bavi svet
Jak vytrhnout velrybe stolicku
Jak dostat tatinka do polepsovny
Snezenky a machri
Snezenky a machri po 20 letech (not generally very popular)
Jachyme, hod' to do stroje
Obecna skola
vratne lahve
obsluhoval jsem anglickeho krale
probudim se vcera (not too popular but I love it because it's set in the Czech town where I live)
Ucastnici zajezdu

There are a few others whose names I can't remember right now and I'm sure many more that I'm forgetting. Which of them have you seen? My next target is one of the ones you said 'musime si pomahat', because that's been recommended to me by many people. I also like some Czech fairytales, I'm sure you know that they very popular here (what about in Poland?). My personal favourite is "Byl jednou jeden kral".

@Prz - I'd love to rule central Europe linguistically, but I'm still a hell of a long way off unfortunately and German doesn't interest me, so the centre would have to be without Austria (if that counts). Anyway, Chung pretty much already rules the countries that I'm targeting and is also spreading his rule to many others around them.

Edited by hribecek on 17 June 2013 at 2:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4656 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 68 of 96
17 June 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I guess I should be already afraid of you, guys.

(Of course I'm just joking)

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5525 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 69 of 96
18 June 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

Obecna skola
vratne lahve

I've seen those three. Hrabal's Closely Observed Trains is in my top 3 books of all time so I made sure to watch the movie as well. :)

I haven't heard anything about the fairytales actually. Are they aimed at adults as well?

As for Polish cinema, I'm not a big fan myself. There are a couple of great movies, of course, made by the usual suspects like Kieślowski, Wajda, Holland. But the golden era of Polish cinema is gone. If I could suggest one movie it would be "The Saragossa Manuscript". It's a fine piece of filmmaking, one of Martin Scorsese's favorites actually. It's pretty long, but well worth it.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5146 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 70 of 96
18 June 2013 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
pesahson wrote:
hribecek wrote:

Obecna skola
vratne lahve

I've seen those three. Hrabal's Closely Observed Trains is in my top 3 books of all time so I made sure to watch the movie as well. :)

I haven't heard anything about the fairytales actually. Are they aimed at adults as well?

As for Polish cinema, I'm not a big fan myself. There are a couple of great movies, of course, made by the usual suspects like Kieślowski, Wajda, Holland. But the golden era of Polish cinema is gone. If I could suggest one movie it would be "The Saragossa Manuscript". It's a fine piece of filmmaking, one of Martin Scorsese's favorites actually. It's pretty long, but well worth it.

You're right that 'Closely observed trains' is another good one, but I haven't read the book.

Fairytales are really popular in the Czech Republic, at least compared to any other country I know well. In England there are very few and they're only for kids, but here many adults like them too. I know a few adults who try to watch the weekly fairytales (they are real films, not cartoons) on Fridays and Sundays. There are hundreds or maybe thousands of them, although for me personally the majority of them are quite bad. Typical Christmas day in Czech Republic is spent watching fairytales most of the day.

I used to like them quite a lot for mainly cultural reasons but now I'm kind of tired of them. There are some good ones that I still like to watch.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Polish film, I love watching foreign films, because in England we grow up only watching American films with a few British and maybe Australian ones, so I missed out a lot on some fantastic foreign language (for me) films.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5146 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 71 of 96
26 June 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I haven't written a proper update for ages and I'm update to have a period of travel and activities so I'm taking my chance to write something.

CZECH

I have a Czech exam in July so this has to be my priority. I've been reading a lot, I've read all of the Hunger Games books, plus 2 detective stories of over 300 pages and then I've just completed 'ztracený svět v podzemí' which is a little bit in the style of Harry Potter, an interesting adventure book for teenagers and teenagers trapped in an adult's body like me.

My confidence unfortunately is at an all time low in Czech. The pain I feel when making mistakes or when struggling to put a relatively simple sentence together is getting stronger and stronger, despite all my efforts to tell myself that it doesn't help in the slightest to feel like that. I'd love to know how to get rid of these feelings as they seem to get worse the more I fight against them.

I've tried focusing on what I have already achieved in the language or knowing that each mistake is a chance to learn or realising that it the big scheme of things it means absolutely nothing to make a mistake, but the feelings stay nevertheless and paralise me sometimes.

It seems the higher level of my language, the more painful the mistakes are. I suppose I just crave that native-like level so much and every mistake reminds me of the fact that I'm still a million miles away. When I see the famous polyglots speaking some of their foreign languages at a native-like level after a lot less time than I've spent with Czech, it does my head in!

End of self-pitying rant.

I've also watched lots of films, had lots of immersion of course and I took a C1 practice grammar exam and got 76%, which I should be happy with.

My plans until my exam are to try to organise some extra speaking one-on-one classes and opportunities. I might also record myself speaking and get some expert advice from the Czechs here.

SPANISH

My Spanish has been going through a new period of refreshment. The lessons that I've been attending and the conversations I had at the Polyglot Conference have revitalised my motivation and I try to read BBC Mundo and/or El Pais every day. So I'm nowhere near as rusty as I was 4 months ago. The lessons finished yesterday though, so now I need a new Spanish routine.

My plans for the Summer are to work through my C1 Teach Yourself book from start to finish.

HUNGARIAN

Just a bit of listening here and there, some studying (especially when in the bathroom or waiting for something in a shop/restaurant!) and some scatterings and speaking to myself. Just enough to keep it alive in my head and not let it get worse.

I always have a phrase and grammar book in my pocket ready for those moments of doing nothing.

My plans for the Summer are to also work through a whole coursebook.

POLISH

I've been flicking through my LEDA coursebook and also listening a bit. I have a real urge to throw myself into Polish, but I'm resisting until my Czech exam is finished.

My plans are that Polish will be my priority language for the Summer. I'll work through my whole coursebook and then try to use it as much as possible.

SUMMER

So I have 3 coursebooks to work through in Spanish, Hungarian and Polish and I'll also be having a few Czech conversation classes a week. I expect to have plenty of natural Spanish practice and will seek out practice in the others. There are Polish pubs, restaurants and shops in my hometown in England, so I'll be sure to visit them when I'm back visiting my family.

RUSSIAN OR UKRAINIAN

I'm fighting of the desire to start one of these. I'm more attracted to Ukrainian but know that Russian is more useful and with more resources. I still have time to decide.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 72 of 96
26 June 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Thought you might like to know that the Leda Polish book (if I'm thinking of the right one) is a translation of Polish in 4 Weeks Level 1, and there is a sequel, Polish in 4 Weeks Level 2! Chung has been recording his progress whilst using the latter. You might want to pick up a copy when you're back in England.

Polish in 4 Weeks

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version