Heptaglot
France
Joined 4434 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 17 of 71
04 January 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi Toffeeliz, I do Russian TAC as an individual, but I enjoy following Team Mir from the shadows, and I will definitely read your log. Living in Moscow must be a great experience. I've been there twice, but only on very short job trips. My first visit was in 2004 and the second one last year. To me it seemed Moscow had changed a lot, it felt cleaner, safer and more modern in every sense last time around. I definitely would have loved to be able to stay for a longer period.

Желаю удачи!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 71
04 January 2013 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Hi! That was exactly what I had in mind, and do not worry if you are inaccurate. I am sure someone will come and set you straight if you make a mistake.

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 19 of 71
05 January 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
@ Ogrim - Moscow feels like quite a young city and I can imagine there being quite a change between your visits. It's still a little unorganised as cities go (the traffic, for one) but it's been a great experience so far.

@ Cristina - I'm glad you like :D

4 Jan/ 5 Jan
Unit 4 of Русский Язык is beating me up. It's given me about 4 pieces of new vocab in each exercise! The book's main caveat can be that it expects you to learn every part of the vocab list in the picture dictionary at the front of the book. I underestimated it's improtance for some of the exercises. The actual lesson itself is focused on plural nouns and how to form them based on f/m/n. If anyone has a hard and fast rule for recognising nouns as feminine or masculine I'd really apreciate it!

Since I'm having a bit of a lack of motivation as far as that particular unit goes, I've decided to dip my toes into some writing. Please keep in mind that I've not even learnt a past tense in Russian, so this was written with the aid of a dictionary:

Сегодня я и мой дружок в супермаркет пошел. мы купили много вещи. мы купили мяса для вечерний ужин.

We went to a pool hall a few nights ago with some friends, one of whom was B1-2 Russian. When we want another beer, we usually point to our glasses and ask "Можна пиво'. He taught us how to say 'Можна ещё '. He then went on to tell us a little anecdote about Catherine the Great, the Prussian-born Empress of Russia.

Since Russian was not her native language, Catherine could be forgiven for her Russian mistakes. However, her most famous is how she wrote 'ещё' as 'истчо'.

Reading up on the wiki-page for Catherine the Great's many legends she sounds like a fascinating woman. I love the one about the Mosques in Kazan.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5053 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 20 of 71
05 January 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Hey, looks like you are making great progress! I like your idea of having a notebook to
write things down and read them later. I kind of copied it a little. :P

I'll try to help you a bit, but I'll restrain myself because I don't want to tell you
anything wrong! About the genders, masculine nouns usually end in consonants, feminine
nouns end with a or я, and neuter nouns end with "o" or "e." When a word ends with a
soft sign in can be feminine or masculine (not neuter), but is usually feminine.
Although, there are many words ending in soft sign that are masculine, so you should
check in a dictionary. Hope that helps!

By the way, мяса should be мясо. There are other mistakes, but like I said I don't want
to tell you anything wrong, so I'll wait for someone more advanced than me to help! But
I do know that after много you don't use the regular plural. You say много вещей. :)

By the way, that thing about Catherine the Great is very interesting!

Edited by zecchino1991 on 05 January 2013 at 8:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 21 of 71
06 January 2013 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Zecchino explained it all correctly =) I'd like to add that можно is with an "o", just pronounced like "a".

I also have this book Русский Язык, both the beginners and the intermediate ones. I bought them in Moscow =) I didn't like the beginners very much, but it's probably a personal things...but the intermediate is awesome, it has a lot of long Russian texts with a loooot of new vocabulary. It's really good!

You're doing a good job already! =)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 22 of 71
06 January 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
By the way, мяса should be мясо.

That's a debatable question. The genetive is correct here too.
About genders: first, the gender in Russian strictly corresponds to the biological
gender. If a noun is inanimated, we should look at its last letter, as zecchino said.
If a noun is indeclinable, it is usually neutre in colloquial Russian.
Ужин is always in the evening, so we do not need the word вечерний here, prepositions
cannot be used with the nominative case, для requires the genetive. для ужина (better на
ужин).

3 persons have voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 23 of 71
08 January 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
@ zecchino1991 - the notes on gender have been very useful! :D Thank you so much!

@ fabriciocarraro - I always get my O's and A's mixed up haha. It'll come with time I expect. As to the textbook, I find it dry and outdated at times, but I've yet to find a coursebook for Russian that isn't. I'm enjoying parts of it and the fact that the language is so useful to me at this time is motivation in itself.

Intermediate materials for Russian look quite interesting though! I have a book that teaches Russian through news articles and it looks fantastic! The first lesson is about cosmonauts and I just can't wait til I'm at a level to use it (2013 May? or is that too optimistic?).

@ Mark - thanks for your corrections and advice. I apologise in advance for the mangling that the Russian language is likely to get from my amatuer attempts at the language. Your advice has been very helpful!

6- 8/1/12 - Русский Язык

I have now uploaded about 85 words of vocab into Anki. I've not included my Monthly Goal vocab yet, but that can be part of today's tasks.

Unit 4 of Русский Язык has been a pain in my backside. I made a final effort today to finish the exercises so I can move on, but I really should revisit this lesson. It was doing my motiviation quite a bit of damage, so I'm quite happy to have it behind me for the time being.
There's a writing exercise at the end of each unit. I do everything in cursive, but my cursive is terrible so I wont post it here (although I wil soon - must get a Little Challenge point!). I will type out my little composition though!

Мой Район

Мой район есть школа, банк и магазины. Эти тоже есть ресторан суши. Мы часто бываю здесь. Мой район не есть кинотеатр. Метро недалико но не близко. Афтобус очень удовно.

In other news, I went cross-country skiing yesterday in a forest in north Moscow! It was hard work but very fun!. Then we went to a bar where they had the U.K. version of MTV on. It was so nice to see familiar adverts and famous faces!
This morning I found a great blog that gives some excelletion vocabulary and grammar notes. I'd say it's a bit beyond my skills right now, but maybe someone else wil find it of use.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 24 of 71
08 January 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Toffeeliz wrote:
Мой Район

Мой район есть школа, банк и магазины. Эти тоже есть ресторан суши. Мы часто бываю здесь.
Мой район не есть кинотеатр. Метро недалико но не близко. Афтобус очень удовно.

Do you want your text to be corrected or just left as it is? How do you write your texts?

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version