Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 49 of 71
14 January 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
fabriciocarraro wrote:

Well, yes.

So the only difference would be by the cases? For example, the sentence:

Я учу русский язык.

It means only "I study Russian" or also "I teach Russian"? Or "I teach Russian" would
be "Я учу русскому языку"?

It can theoretically mean "I teach Russian", if you mean that the Russian language is
your student (notice the different meaning of the verb "to mean" here). Otherwise, "I
teach Russian" is Я учу русскому языку, я обучаю русскому языку, Я преподаю русский
язык.

Great then! Thanks Mark!
1 person has voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 50 of 71
19 January 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, thanks for clarifying the to teach/to learn verb here :D

19/1
Not much to say in terms of actual studying. I've been pretty busy at work and it looks like I'm due to be busy again this week. I've kept up with Assimil and my Anki deck. I'm technically ahead on Assimil, which is always a nice ego-lift. I've just done lesson 13 and am finding them more challenging.
My Anki deck is quite small, I'm adding words that I've come across in the books I use rather than word lists. I've found that context is quite important and word retention isn't that easy for me.

A question for Anki users; how do I reverse a deck to see the English first?

A nice ego boost this week; elementary/beginner phrases in English are almost always functional, so I'm able to speak in Russian to some of my colleagues. When I was working at a school that I don't normally teach at, the secretary said that my Russian was good; she thought I was pre-intermediate. I've taken it to mean that my pronunciation isn't as bad as I'd thought.

The cashier lady at 'дикси' gave us a discount the other day. She talks to us a little when we go in. Today she asked if we'd been to the swimming pool nearby at all. We've been told that we have to get a declaration from a doctor to say we have no contagious skin conditions before we can use a public pool. It's an easy enough process but we've not had reason to do it, not to to mention the language barrier. As a result of our conversation, I have learnt the word плавать - to swim (I had to look it up).

The news in Russia has been quite interesting recently too. A gang leader, Grandfather Kasan (Дед Хасан) was assasinated in a restaurant about 1 mile away from the Kremlin. The news today reported on his funeral. I always feel safe in Moscow but I have heard about the gang culture around here. Primarily about the beggars on the metro; apparently they are run by gang leaders?

Edited by Toffeeliz on 19 January 2013 at 6:49pm

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4126 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 51 of 71
19 January 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Russia is indeed a very different place. I am also an English teacher, but in St. Petersburg. I'm studying Russian for the TAC as well, but not on a team (MIR is full). I've been in St. Pete for 2.5 out of the last 4 years, 1 of them spent studying Russian full-time, and since July, living with my Russian fiancee.

Customer service is an oxymoron in Russia. Some of the cashiers seem downright angry that you would dare disturb them to buy something at their store. I mean, how dare you!

Push yourself while in Russia and you will make great strides in your proficiency.

Удачи!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 52 of 71
20 January 2013 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
milesaway wrote:
Customer service is an oxymoron in Russia. Some of the cashiers seem downright angry that you would dare disturb them to buy something at their store. I mean, how dare you!

Ahahahaha I felt the exact same way while I was in Moscow, but some friends said that's a Moscow thing. Apparently, a St. Peter's thing also.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 53 of 71
20 January 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
milesaway wrote:
Russia is indeed a very different place. I am also an English teacher, but in St.
Petersburg. I'm studying Russian for the TAC as well, but not on a team (MIR is full). I've been in St. Pete for
2.5 out of the last 4 years, 1 of them spent studying Russian full-time, and since July, living with my Russian
fiancee.

Customer service is an oxymoron in Russia. Some of the cashiers seem downright angry that you would dare
disturb them to buy something at their store. I mean, how dare you!

Push yourself while in Russia and you will make great strides in your proficiency.

Удачи!

You are always welcome to post in our team thread and ask questions even if you are not a team member. If
you like I can list you as an associated member like I am on team PAX. Then you would not have to follow all
the logs, and the other members would not have to follow yours, but you can always participate in other
activities. If you are interested just post a link to your log in our team thread, saying you would like to be an
associated member, and like Putin did with Depardieu, I will grant you that as soon as I am back in Norway.
Which incidentally would be the only time that I would feel like Putin :-)

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 54 of 71
25 January 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
25/1
Nothing much to say. It's been a busy week, with tests for my students and new classes for me. Each class is different depending on the students; during my evening ladie's class they often speak Russian (they shouldn't but it's a long class, almost 3 hours long) and I can understand what some of them say. Im impressed with how much I'm learning but at the same time I'm getting frustrated that I can't understand enough.

I've missed two days of Assimil. On the days when I've been too busy or tired, I've read the Assimil lesson from the day before. Next week should be a bit easier for studying now that I've got more routine.

It's coming up to the end of January, so I've decided to think on my goals for this month.

January Goals

Do another 3 units in my main textbook.
Almost! I've done 2 and a half so far; Assimil is just more interesting and demands less of my time

Learn colours and numbers by heart.
I can passively recognise colours but I will make an extra push this week. I have spent time with numbers but have also learnt the days of the week and the months.

Aim for at least 30 miniutes of Russian study or practice every day. I have a small notebook for vocabulary which I use to digest new words as I travel.
I consider this achieved so far, but the 30 mins have been hard to come by at times. I'm counting my time in queues and on the metro in this.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 55 of 71
25 January 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Toffeeliz wrote:
Learn colours and numbers by heart.

Mind the 7-colour Russian rainbows ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 25 January 2013 at 9:47pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 56 of 71
25 January 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Каждый охотник желает знать, где сидит фазан.
Красный, Оранжевый, Жёлтый, Зелёный, Голубой, Синий, Фиолетовый.

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version