Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5474 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 71
08 January 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Corrected please. Although the corrections may be overwhelming, I can learn a lot from them.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 26 of 71
08 January 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
What cases do you know? Do you know the verb endings in the present tense.
В моем районе есть... Там также есть... не есть is нет кинотеатр should be in the
genetive because of negation (кинотеатра) Недалеко Автобус. Мы бываем.

Edited by Марк on 08 January 2013 at 12:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5474 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 27 of 71
08 January 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
I just know present tense. Thanks for pointing out the mistakes here, I've not learnt negation yet (and it shows haha).

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 28 of 71
08 January 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Toffeeliz wrote:
I just know present tense. Thanks for pointing out the mistakes here,
I've not learnt negation yet (and it shows haha).

I understood what you meant, but it's hard to create a single grammatical sentence
without knowing cases. For example all the prepositions require cases (other thaan the
nominative).

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5474 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 29 of 71
13 January 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Toffeeliz wrote:
I just know present tense. Thanks for pointing out the mistakes here,
I've not learnt negation yet (and it shows haha).

I understood what you meant, but it's hard to create a single grammatical sentence
without knowing cases. For example all the prepositions require cases (other thaan the
nominative).

At A1 level (and below haha) that's all I can hope for; to be understood. Each day I learn a little more and find out where I've been going wrong. I appreciate you help greatly!

13/1/13
I've not updated for a few days, but I have managed to study a little bit each day. A friend went back to the UK and was kind enough to let me buy a copy of Assimil to be delivered to her house. She brought it back Thursday and I've been enjoying it ever since. It's been a nice bit of revision but I'm a little peeved to find my level only goes to about Lesson 8 in the book. On the one hand, I'm starting to feel quite frustrated with my studying but on the other I'm aware that this is completely natural and it will soon pass.

I read the Barry Faber book on learn languages and decided to do some dictionary work from a newspaper. When I translated the headline (becuase all I understood was literally 'metro station.......opening' I really struggled with using the dictionary. My word conjugation is very rudimentary. Having studied a language with almost none of this (Chinese) it's an actual shock to have to do it Russian.

So, I've been using Assimil at a rate of about 1 1/2 lessons per day. I studied twice a day until now, just because I knew most of what was going on. I have an Anki deck that I review once day. I'm still using my (slightly outdated) Russki Yazik textbook too; I've started Unit 5 and just need to input the new vocab into Anki before going at it full throttle.

Today is known as 'Old New Year's Day' in Russia, from when they followed the Julian calendar. We didn't celebrate it and it doesn't appear to be that important here from what I can see. My adult students have mentioned it though and I wished them a good day. There is a 24 hour shop at the bottom of my street, a 'дикси', where we go for beer or anything we've run out of. We know the staff quite well, and the woman that served me today took my hand and wished me a new year and asked how we were, and how my partner was. It took a while for them to warm up to us, but I'm glad since customer service isn't always so friendly in Moscow.

Today's written Russian:

Мне завуть Лиз. Я англичанка. Я живу в Москва в мой друг. Он тоже из Англиа. Мы очень нравистся Москва. Мы в Москва учим англиский язык.

Мы роньше жила в Англиа сейчас живем в Россия.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 30 of 71
13 January 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a native speaker, but as these are quite simple sentences, I dared to correct the mistakes I could find. If Mark reads this, I'm sure he'll add his two cents.

Toffeeliz wrote:
Меня зовут Лиз. Я англичанка. Мы с моим другом живем в Москве. Он тоже из Англии. Нам очень нравится Москва. Здесь мы учим английский язык.

Мы раньше жили в Англии, но теперь живем в России.

By the way, all the best for your TAC 2013! I envy you a bit for being able to learn Russian in Moscow.

Edited by Josquin on 13 January 2013 at 4:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 31 of 71
13 January 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I'm not a native speaker, but as these are quite simple sentences, I
dared to correct the mistakes I could find. If Mark reads this, I'm sure he'll add his
two cents.

Toffeeliz wrote:
Меня зовут Лиз. Я англичанка. Мы с моим другом живем в Москве. Он тоже
из Англии. Нам очень нравится Москва. Здесь мы учим английский язык.

Мы раньше жили в Англии, но теперь живем в России.

Здесь мы учим английский язык is very funny, because it means we are learning the English
language here. Мы здесь учим английскому языку.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5474 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 32 of 71
13 January 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
In Soviet Russia, English teaches you ;) How would you change this to say' We teach the English language."?

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version