Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
142 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 17 18 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 81 of 142
14 April 2013 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Did you finish lesson 4 in the new book? It's pretty long...
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 82 of 142
14 April 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
I don't study on weekends, so you're advanced now =D
Not sure if I will be able to finish lesson 4 at one day, though

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 83 of 142
14 April 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I haven't finished it yet either.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 84 of 142
16 April 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
This sounds like my rant thread, but well, Russian is the one I'm most concerned with regarding the TAC: the one I may fail in my goals, the one I need most but am less motivated etc.

I've decided to paraphrase vermillon's post and evaluate my languages on wether it's currently being FUN or DREADFUL to study them. I have a busy, time-consuming schedule and, based on that, I may come up with ideas for bringing the fun back to most of my languages.

It's noticeable that the more advanced I am at a language, the more fun it gets because I can stay away from core repetitive textbook learning and use native materials.

I'm including non-TAC languages for the sake of completeness.

Chinese
Status: DREADFUL. I am studying through Peng's Fun with Chinese Characters and doing Méthode 90 for the second time. I have to check each word at Peng's with a dictionary. As for Méthode, the exercises don't have pinyin and sometimes I have to use nciku.com for remembering the pinyin of a character. I also have an Anki deck with sentences and I can't take more than 20 sentences a day, and at those sentences I usually miss half the characters at this initial stage. I've been studying Chinese since June 2011 and so far I haven't been able to either a) read a text b) understand a song c) talk to a native speaker (I have no one to talk to for the time being, not even through text chatting). So, I take Chinese as my first language of the day just to get rid of it asap.

English
Status: FUN. I write one article every month for teh magazine Parrot Time. My text is corrected by a native speaker and usually there are minor corrections and my writing is clear. I also watch one episode of "Touched by an angel" every weekday. My listening comprehension isn't that high but I feel that I'm improving. I need to read a novel to get more daily life vocabulary, because I'm learning it in French and it's surpassing my English at this matter.

French
Status: FUN. I haven't written lately, not even chatted, due to basic schedule. I also hadn't got the chance to talk to a native spaker on Skype. Even so, I'm watching one episode of Ghost Whisperer each day and I'm reading a novel. I'm learning important vocabulary from the novel, even though it's rather slow.

Georgian
Status: DREADFUL. i've been studying it since January 2012 and I still can't read a text or understand a news item I hear. I've had conversations with native speakers on and off but the conversations usually die out a few days later. I study from two grammar books, one in German and another in Russian, and understanding the source languages has been a nightmare for me. I need to get my motivation back and be able to read simple texts in Georgian.

Norwegian
Status: FUN. I'm itching to start reading texts and novels in Norwegian. I've definitely been through the elementary textbook stage and am one level behind being able to learn from native materials. The Anki sentences with audio are boosting my comprehension just like Linguaphone is. I occasionally chat and it's becoming more natural to do so. All of this in 8 months and I still have 8 months in this TAC. I'm confident that I'll be able to reach basic reading fluency by the end of the year.

Papiamento
Status: FUN. I have a real motivation to learn it: going to both Aruba and Curaçao in a few months. It's interesting linguistically and culturally. I can recognize instances of my native language. It's like learning a Romance language in terms of reading comprehension. I lack audio materials and the support of native speakers, but I'm confident enough that I will reach basic conversational and reading fluency by September.

Russian
Status: DREADFUL. I'm using my second Assimil and I still can't make any use of the vocabulary I've learned. I'm far from being able to read, as is proved from my frustrated attempts of using a textbook for Georgian written in Russian. Even so, I think the vocabulary starts to stick out as I cease to confuse words as often as before. It's not the language I'm mostly motivated with, and even though my main goal is reading textbooks I still think some conversational practice would renew my motivation. Right now I'm overwhelmed again by an Assimil with dated language and long lessons and exercises.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 85 of 142
17 April 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm at lesson 61 and Assimil is back with the format I disliked at Il nuovo Italiano
senza sforzo. Longer lessons; notes that take most of the page and are almost completely
redundant; longer exercises. And there are still 39 lessons to go!

Today I started the Anki deck with Russian sentences. I think it will help me quite a
bit, even though most of the words within a sentence are unknown and there is unknown
grammar as well, like participle in subordinate adverbial clauses.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 86 of 142
24 April 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
For some reason I skipped yesterday's lesson. I think I was too excited about finishing Georgian and going for Linguaphone Norwegian, which I like so much. That means I'm going to spend one more day with that dreadful Assimil Russian Without Toil. I'm currently at lesson 65 out of 100.

I think the Russian study will only start being fun after I have acquired a sufficient amount of vocabulary, which hasn't happened yet after 1 full Assimil book and more than half a second one. Right now I can look at a whole Russian text and recognize only about 10 words. Words just don't seem to stick. I'm unmotivated, indeed, but I'm used to this from my early German learning times. I need to know Russian so I can use several textbooks for finno-ugric and caucasian languages and I want to be able to proceed to other slavic languages I like. I know this is gonna be painful, but I've overcome terrible times with Chinese and lately I've been more confident with it. I also know from Norwegian Linguaphone that it's much more fun to learn when you have no more than 10 words to look up at each text. The text flows and you start to enjoy the language as a whole. So, once again I pity textbooks that want us to learn 30 new words a day.

I'm doing a Russian sentences deck, but at this stage I usually know no words in each sentence and so it's hard to retain anything.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 87 of 142
30 April 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
The notes at RWT got so annoying. I don't see why they need to mention several cases for a given word, plus the verbal/nominal derivatives, the adjectives that can be formed from them and so on! It helps nothing to learn all those forms at once through notes, it just makes the book more annoying.

I'm at lesson 70 of RWT. It only gets worse and it's still 30 lessons to go. I'm not sure if doing 2008 Le Russe is the way to go, even though Le Russe is much lighter. I really don't know what to do, my Russian is still very low in terms of vocabulary and even Assimil textbooks aren't motivating.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 88 of 142
06 May 2013 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
I'm so much in a hurry to finish RWT, because it isn't being useful at this stage, that I
started reading the lessons also on weekends. So, yday I read lesson 73 an today lesson
74. No exercises, no listening. I'm glad the exercises changed from "turn all verbs in
the text into the past", which I won't do anyway. Again I'm annoyed by so much new
vocabulary and by the lengthy notes for things that aren't noteworthy. Still, there is
some hope for my Russian. I'm starting to get the gist of the sentences at the Anki deck.

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version