Studies: Russian

Message 137 of 142
12 December 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Expugnator wrote:
[...] I'm really, really glad the Russian team is
going to continue with most of my fellow cosmonauts. That might bring the extra
motivation I need. [...]

You’ve summed up my thoughts perfectly! The journey with Russian is still so long that it’s such a relief we’re
doing it with trusted companions.

I hope you’ll enjoy leaving behind textbooks to move on to native materials: I’ll be in textbook hell for a few
more years, I’m afraid.

Anyway, with the stamina you’ve shown with Chinese and Russian, I’m quite sure you’ll find German a walk in
the park in comparison.

Ha, ha, textbook hell - well join the club. I am almost exactly where I was last year as far as material covered,
the only thing which have improved considerably - though they are still at less than toddler level - are my oral
skills.

Fantastic work, Expugnator. I am incredibly impressed. :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 138 of 142
17 December 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Thank you teammates for the kind words :-) We are going to accomplish a lot in 2014
together!

Today was a good day in terms of resource finishing. I finished the amazing Étape par
Étape - A2 à B2 du HSK (disclaimer: I didn't reach B2, but the book is indeed good, and
if you overlearn it maybe you can). I also finished reading Slottet i Pyreneene and the
Norwegian grammar "Norwegian Verbs and Essentials of Grammar".

I decided that I'm trying to overcome anxiety, as I almost always do, in order to do
everything at the right time. I'm going to post an overview of 2013 only a few days
before NYE. I'll be travelling uphill during the last days of the year, but it still
can be done right after Christmas. I have the feeling I still have much to report
regarding Norwegian these days. Then I'm going to start my multilingual log for 2014,
too.

Just for a few seconds, I tried the mental exercise of actually coming up with a
dialogue in Russian, the way I'm doing with georgian, Chinese, French and Norwegian. I
can't even start it! That means there's a lot to activate in 2014. I believe that once
I get some basic reading skills I'm going to start to like Russian the way I like
Chinese now, that is, I ceased to find it boring after I started to get the hang of
texts and videos..

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 139 of 142
20 December 2013 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm really enjoying the Living Language Ultimate course. I can't praise it enough.
Lessons are long but far from boring, they are consistent. It is a textbook that manages
to teach grammar and yet make the dialogues and the sample sentences very natural and
pertinent.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4125 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 140 of 142
20 December 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Wishing you success in 2014!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 141 of 142
20 December 2013 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Thank you! As soon as I set up my new log for 2014 I'll let my teammates know! I hope to
accomplish something in Russian next year.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 142 of 142
27 December 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
So, time to evaluate Russian and Georgian, as those were the languages bounded to Team
Mir in 2013.

Russian

My main goal with Russian was to be able to read textbooks written for Russian speakers
with a dictionary. It just didn't happen, as it turned out much more complicated to
reach that level than with German. My idea was to have access to the Georgian
textbooks, but after trying one of them I realized they weren't quite useful at my
current level and I realized I was just studying Russian from them, in a tiresome way.

So, I kept doing the textbook study as planned. I finished three Assimils and 1
textbook in Portuguese but I think I'm still at an early A2. I also did the beginner's
level of a podcast but didn't feel like proceeding to the advanced one yet. Like I
often said at this log, Russian isn't the language that motivates me a lot, I learn it
just as a tool for poliglot pursuits. I'm also highly interested in the Russian
culture, so my goals will always be passive, reading skills. I will only work harder on
active skills if I notice there are opportunities at this respect.

As for basic reading with a dictionary, I then have to assess I haven't accomplished
this goal yet. I'm renewing this goal for next year. More on this can be found
at my new
log

Georgian

Georgian was perhaps the language I was mostly consistent about, but I still lacked
results. I really miss learning the spoken language. I got a TV series but no
subtitles, so, not much use. I also expected to reach basic reading fluency by the end
of the year but this so didn't happen. I'm renewing this goal for next year but I also
have to admit i improved a lot when it comes to tourist talking, basic conversations
etc. I don't know how to pursue Georgian harder other than just reading a lot.

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version