Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
137 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 17 18 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 105 of 137
05 June 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I finally finished another book again... need to step up the pace once my Indonesian
competition and Esperanto CEFR exam are over.

Book 1: "B.A.f.H. - Das Neueste vom Bastard Assistant" by Florian Schiel
Book 2: "Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια..." by Αντώνης Καλογήρου
Book 3: "Io Alessandro" by Steven Pressfield
Book 4: "L'Irak du silence" by Marie de Varney
Book 5: "Ramsès - le temple des millions d'années" by Christian Jacq
Book 6: "Oni ne pafas en Jamburg" by Mikaelo Bronŝtejn
Book 7: "搭车去柏林" by 刘畅
Book 8: "Babel-17" by Samuel R. Delaney
Book 9: "Without Reserve" by Abigail Reynolds
Book 10: "Eine Billion Dollar" by Andreas Eschbach
Book 11: "La ABC de tempoplanado" by Lothar J. Seiwert.
Book 12: "Spanisch für Büffelmuffel"
Book 13: "Le porte di fuoco" by Steven Pressfield
Book 14: La Cultura Aymara
Book 15: La oralidad fingida: descripción y traducción
Book 16: "How to Improve Your Foreign Language IMMEDIATELY" by Boris Shekhtman

Anthony Lauder recommended this book at the Polyglot Conference and his praises weren't
exaggerated: this is probably the most influential book I ever read about language
learning. In less than 100 pages, it has given me so many ideas for how to improve my
fluency and speaking ability. This book should be required reading for every new forum
member.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 106 of 137
06 June 2013 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
I've got to read that book!

Yesterday was Japanese night: I went out for supper with my tutor and we chatted in Japanese for about an hour and a half.

I also met a local German guy willing to practice English and German, so I'm waiting to see if this pans out. I was hoping to make this is an on-the-move exchange where we practise while we walk around rather than sitting down in a more academic context. Over the weekend, I also wrote two texts that my trusted tandem partner corrected for me (we use draftin.com). A "Recordium" recording is still in the works, but I haven't found the time yet.

Still doing some Assimil Roumain, but veeery slowly, about a lesson every second day.

And finally, good luck to my partner on the Indonesian Speech contest!
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 107 of 137
21 June 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Oh my! 2 weeks without a post?!?

German

I tried a C2 mock exam and I only got 5/10 on the first part I attempted -- it's really clear that a weak vocabulary is the issue here, so instead of continuing the test, I'm going to focus on that. I have been reading German lately, but I find the process rather slow in terms of vocab acquisition, so I shifted gears and wanted to complement that with some at-sight interpretation (ie. read an English text and translate out loud into German, looking up words as needed). I also hope to do some interpretation with my partner in a few weeks as I visit Berlin (this would be consecutive interpretation: partner says something in English, I interpret into German, she helps me along as needed). I think this is an excellent way to push into C2 or past that level.

Romanian

Interest is still there, but I have too little time to worry about this. If I had more time, I'd work with the Romanian magazine I mentioned in earlier posts and listen to more podcasts. I could finish Assimil, but I don't have much interest in the book anymore.

Italian

I will likely have the opportunity to visit Milan and the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland this summer with two friends who speak Italian already, so I thought it would be a good idea to brush up on my Italian. I read a graphic novel and I started reading L'alchimista. Although I haven't used it in ages, there are very few words I don't understand, but I'm sometimes unclear on irregular verb forms I come across.

However, all of this language study will have to be put on hold for the next 4-5 days as I need to get ready for a simultaneous interpretation assignment.

How about you partner?

Edited by Arekkusu on 21 June 2013 at 3:50pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 108 of 137
21 June 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
I took the Esperanto exam :
https://www.dropbox/sh/1sr5w8k0igpxg69/f1mJFNXsy_#f:2-C1-par toprenantoj.JPG

and I gave the Indonesian speech - read my blog article including a video of the speech
at http://learnlangs.com/personal/indonesian_competition_result .

Then, I focussed on French again as I'm close to handing in my thesis. Unfortunately a
lot of the papers I have to read are in English, which takes away from my language-
study time but I do all my writing in French.

As a distraction, I'm slowly advancing on the Spanish tree on Duolingo, but I have all
but stopped doing studying any language that is not French or Spanish since the exams.
:-(

I have also spent a significant amount of time organizing the Polyglot Gathering
Berlin, which will take place in June 2014.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/133229626870853/

Edited by Sprachprofi on 21 June 2013 at 6:09pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 109 of 137
10 July 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Got my results for the exam: 70/80 points, so I should get my C1 certificate in the
mail soon.

Also, I handed in my thesis. I'm now at 384 language-learning hours total this year,
134 of which were spent on French - more than in either 2011 or 2012 in the entire
year. I have to rectify this now and re-awaken my other languages.

On the train back home I spent some time copying Chinese characters, reading Chinese
and reading Italian. I also finished two more books since the last update:

Book 17: "Overhearing Film Dialogue" by Sarah Kozloff
Book 18: "Aventuroj de pioniro" by Edmond Privat

The former was for my thesis, the latter a pleasure to read. Edmond Privat lived a
remarkable life, traveling a lot and meeting many interesting people, including Gandhi
and Nehru.

Alexandre, how are you doing?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 110 of 137
12 July 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
These days, I'm enjoying time with Sprachprofi and Volte. Yesterday, Sprachprofi and I used 6 languages:
German, French, English, Esperanto, Mandarin and Italian (in order?).

As I mentioned in previous entries, I've been preparing for the German C2 exam in Berlin, only to find out it
was already fully booked a week before the deadline, unfortunately.

Apart from that, I'm on holidays in Europe, so there isn't much to report. An interpreter's position was offered
to me, so that is one thing that's been on my mind.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 111 of 137
16 July 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that was an awesome day. For this holiday, we didn't get to speak foreign languages
as often as I had hoped though.

I did finish an Italian book that I had started in preparation (to recall the language):

Book 19: "Vieni via con me" by Roberto Saviano

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 112 of 137
25 July 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I bought 9 books while in Italy at the awesome Hoepla store in Milan. They have books of
modern short stories with vocabulary lists AND matching audiobook for many languages and
I got several for Arabic and for Chinese, plus some regular Italian books and a Spanish
book.

I already finished reading the first book I bought there:
Book 20: "Io sono nessuno" by Wainer Molteni

Another recent success: finding a language party in Berlin where people actually speak
various languages (rather than just English and German) and speaking Chinese for the
better part of two hours there. Also, the Chinese people I talked to are interested in
having a Chinese-German meet-up.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 25 July 2013 at 4:15pm

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version