Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 113 of 137
01 August 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Time for the 6-week challenge! Not sure how much time I'll have to devote to this, but I choose Estonian.

I'm using a German language course by Cornelsen which is just challenging enough for a seasoned learner.
Of course, my previous foray into Finnish is proving quite helpful with grammar/case concepts.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 114 of 137
01 August 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
I chose Indonesian, because I get the feeling that it's eminently possible to reach
somewhere maintainable in another 6 weeks; otherwise I'm still at an early enough stage
that I could lose all I studied before.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 115 of 137
12 August 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Is Estonian harder than Finnish?

Although I’ve only had a beginner’s encounter with both of these languages and there is little I can say about advanced grammar in either language, I would venture at this point that Estonian presents a slightly higher level of difficulty for the following reasons:

-When the Finnish and Estonian words are related, Estonian tends to have lost the final vowel, which implies that it’s more difficult to guess what vowel is going to pop up when the word appears in a different case (or in a compound word) -- a bit like how French final-vowel dropping makes gender hard to learn.

-Although Finnish vowel harmony initially presents an interesting challenge, it quickly becomes obvious that it limits the number of possible sounds in a word; the lack of vowel harmony in Estonian means that vocabulary is harder to remember as any vowel is possible (eg. both täda and tädä are technically possible).

-Further phonological complications: there are more vowels in Estonian, less of a correspondence between the orthography and the pronunciation (particularly in terms of voicing and gemination) and a mysterious 3-way consonant length system that isn’t expressed in the orthography. Moreover, stress is sometimes not on the first syllable (I can't confirm that this isn't the case in Finnish, though.)

Edited by Arekkusu on 12 August 2013 at 8:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4223 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 116 of 137
15 August 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
This tandem log is such a good idea. It seems like you guys are really keeping each other motivated and on the ball!
I wonder if i'll be able to find someone to be my TAC partner next year.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 117 of 137
17 August 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
I finished another book:

Book 1: "B.A.f.H. - Das Neueste vom Bastard Assistant" by Florian Schiel
Book 2: "Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια..." by Αντώνης Καλογήρου
Book 3: "Io Alessandro" by Steven Pressfield
Book 4: "L'Irak du silence" by Marie de Varney
Book 5: "Ramsès - le temple des millions d'années" by Christian Jacq
Book 6: "Oni ne pafas en Jamburg" by Mikaelo Bronŝtejn
Book 7: "搭车去柏林" by 刘畅
Book 8: "Babel-17" by Samuel R. Delaney
Book 9: "Without Reserve" by Abigail Reynolds
Book 10: "Eine Billion Dollar" by Andreas Eschbach
Book 11: "La ABC de tempoplanado" by Lothar J. Seiwert.
Book 12: "Spanisch für Büffelmuffel"
Book 13: "Le porte di fuoco" by Steven Pressfield
Book 14: La Cultura Aymara
Book 15: La oralidad fingida: descripción y traducción
Book 16: "How to Improve Your Foreign Language IMMEDIATELY" by Boris Shekhtman
Book 17: "Overhearing Film Dialogue" by Sarah Kozloff
Book 18: "Aventuroj de pioniro" by Edmond Privat
Book 19: "Vieni via con me" by Roberto Saviano
Book 20: "Io sono nessuno" by Wainer Molteni
Book 21: "Notti africane" by Kuki Gallmann

That's 15 foreign-language books so far, half of what I wanted to achieve this year, so
I will try to up the pace. I still have several books that I started on or that I'm
reading occasionally; my problem is with finishing them. Especially books in Chinese.

I'm also hoping to re-activate my spoken Greek now, because I'll be going to Rhodes at
the end of September for a short conference.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 118 of 137
24 August 2013 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Hey Sprachprofi,

glad to see you booked a Dutch lesson with me! (Quite honoured to do it!) Let me know if
you have any particular requests because I will be quite busy the coming month - I would
love to spend hours tutoring people but I have some annoying things to get out of the way
first.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 119 of 137
24 August 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to it!

These days I've tried to have a lot of speaking sessions, because it's an area I tend
to neglect. I signed up
for the italki Fall Challenge in order to force myself to stop procrastinating on that
and it is working: I just had an hour-long Spanish conversation, I also had a Chinese
conversation, an Indonesian lesson and a Japanese lesson this week already and I have
more scheduled. Also, I did a Greek-German language exchange with Alex Rawlings, which
was fun, though it did show me how much I still need to review before Rhodes...

After signing up for the italki challenge, I realized that there's a mini-Tadoku
challenge going on right now as well, until the end of the month, so I've also been
making headway in reading Greek and Chinese before sleeping. I finished another book:

Book 22: "Κανάλι 35" by Λίλυ Εξαρχοπούλου

And in other good news, I've caught up to where I'm supposed to be in terms of language
hours and I have new freelance work that pays well and takes up just the right amount
of time in order not to interfere with my studies or personal projects.

Life is good.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 120 of 137
25 August 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Wow! You've been busy, partner!

I spent a lot of time preparing and interpreting for a conference, which left me almost no time for anything
else. Now that it's finally over, more translation contracts have come my way, leaving me no time again.

l've nevertheless been squeezing in some documentary watching in German and some Estonian for the 6-
week challenge.

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version