Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
137 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 17 18 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 57 of 137
20 February 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
I finally finished the book.

Book 1: "B.A.f.H. - Das Neueste vom Bastard Assistant" by Florian Schiel
Book 2: "Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια..." by Αντώνης Καλογήρου
Book 3: "Io Alessandro" by Steven Pressfield
Book 4: "L'Irak du silence" by Marie de Varney
Book 5: "Ramsès - le temple des millions d'années" by Christian Jacq

This is the second book in a series set at the time of Pharaoh Ramses. The author is an
egyptologist, which means his descriptions are very colourful and contain accurate
information on Ancient Egypt. I really enjoy them for this reason.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 20 February 2013 at 11:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 58 of 137
20 February 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
This idea and log is awesome, I wish you both a lot o success. And thanks for the book ideas.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 59 of 137
23 February 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Roumain: active, lesson 30 / passive, lesson 86.

I had a Romanian lesson online today. Here is a site that offers links to several Romanian news sites:
http://www.ziareromanesti.net/

Here is also an interesting
Romanian manual for foreigners.

In German, I'm still reading Illuminati.

Edited by Arekkusu on 23 February 2013 at 7:07pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 60 of 137
25 February 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Service announcement: Arekkusu wrote an amazing very detailed post about developing a
native-like accent at http://qr.ae/TI5Fd and I recommend
it to anyone!

--

Lately, I haven't been making as much of an effort to find opportunities to use foreign
languages in conversation; I have to work on that again, maybe find some more tandem
partners. On the bright side, I might - with a lot of luck - travel to China for a week
at the end of March.

I have watched a bit more videos/movies in foreign languages, namely two Asterix movies
in Greek and an episode of "Conseil d'Administration" in Québécois.

Most of my time is still divided between Duolingo and reading. I'm progressing 10-15
pages at a time through my Chinese book because my reading speed is so atrocious. At
the same time I have finished an Esperanto book however:

Book 1: "B.A.f.H. - Das Neueste vom Bastard Assistant" by Florian Schiel
Book 2: "Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια..." by Αντώνης Καλογήρου
Book 3: "Io Alessandro" by Steven Pressfield
Book 4: "L'Irak du silence" by Marie de Varney
Book 5: "Ramsès - le temple des millions d'années" by Christian Jacq
Book 6: "Oni ne pafas en Jamburg" by Mikaelo Bronŝtejn

This book is about Soviet Russia under Brezhnev and the Russian Esperanto youth
movement in the 1970s. Quite a different world, one that I knew little about before. As
a novel, I didn't enjoy it that much, because it's more of a collection of episodes of
life than a compelling story, but the insights into Soviet Russia made me keep on
reading.

Since I enjoyed Steven Pressfield's "Io Alessandro", I was crazy enough to order
another one of his novels in Italian and also his book "Άνεμοι πόλεμου" (Tides of War) in
Greek off Bookdepository.com. I'm second-guessing myself now because it's 578 large
pages long. On the other hand, there's no doubt my Greek would be much better after
reading this; it has consistently been my experience that reading helps a lot with
languages that are a bit removed from ours.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 25 February 2013 at 7:43pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 61 of 137
26 February 2013 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Nothing too special to announce -- I'm actually sticking to my plan, though.

I'm still working on Romanian and I'm still reading Illuminati in German.

In Assimil Roumain, I'm at lessons 87/32. I'm still interested in the book, and it would
be a shame not to finish it, but I'm starting to get interested in other resources, such
as the manual I pointed to in my earlier post. I've also got a few Romanian movies I
intend to watch soon.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 62 of 137
26 February 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
I can't get the link to the manual to work, which is a shame. I am using Chrome, by the
way.

But what do you think of the Assimil in detail, Arekkusu? I like this Assimil quite a bit
actually. It's better in terms of content than all the other ones I've finished, it just
lacks a good grammatical appendix and a lexis at the back (I know the list at the back
refers to the notes but I'd rather have a complete appendix). I also find some of the
stories quite humorous, and even in lesson 10 they introduce a lot of new vocab all at
once; which is annoying if this is your first foreign language, but it's perfect for me
because most of these words are very logical in some way given my background.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 63 of 137
26 February 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I can't get the link to the manual to work, which is a shame. I am using Chrome, by the way.

But what do you think of the Assimil in detail, Arekkusu? I like this Assimil quite a bit actually. It's better in terms of content than all the other ones I've finished, it just lacks a good grammatical appendix and a lexis at the back (I know the list at the back refers to the notes but I'd rather have a complete appendix). I also find some of the stories quite humorous, and even in lesson 10 they introduce a lot of new vocab all at once; which is annoying if this is your first foreign language, but it's perfect for me because most of these words are very logical in some way given my background.

The link works for me both on a computer and on my iPad.

As for Assimil... I enjoy the lessons, how they expose you to various things, but I dislike its lack of organisation. You'll come across a verb and they will list, at the bottom of the page, the conjugation, as if you'd just remember a list of six words. At least if it were in the form of a table, but no, just lists. A word's inflections, sing., plur., with and without articles... presented as a list. Come on... I also dislike how a lot of the vocabulary is useless. Wolf, ax, attic, ... I can't remember using them in any language for a long time. But at the same time, no teach yourself method is perfect. I'm not in love with it; more like a marriage of reason.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 64 of 137
26 February 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
The problem is that once they re-do the course, they'll make it look fancy but drop that
type of content and dumb it down a bit. I wish they'd just update the notes and put in an
appendix and maybe improve the layout to look less dated (although I personally enjoy
that look)... this Assimil is at least thorough.

Edited by tarvos on 26 February 2013 at 3:46pm

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version