Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
137 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 129 of 137
19 October 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm studying Japanese! I received a bunch of Japanese books and they made me
realize that I shouldn't let my Japanese (studied one year ago) go to waste. First
order of the day: relearn the Kana :-(

Oh, and some more book updates:

Book 27: "Achieve and Succeed" by Ian D. Major
Book 28: "Motivation" by Dave Ball
Book 29: "Mindful Meditation" by Mitchell Daly

Now that I wrote some Kindle books myself, I also discovered the beauty of free Kindle
book promotions...

Alexandre, do give an update please :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 130 of 137
24 October 2013 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Alexandre, do give an update please :-)

I've been too busy professionally to study new languages (or work on German, for instance, which is on my
list of things to focus on), but since I work with languages, perhaps that might be of interest to some.

I've mentioned before my interest for interpretation and in the course of the last few weeks, several things
have happened on that front.

For those who aren't familiar with interpretation, it's the branch of translation that deals with oral
translation (as opposed to written translation). It's generally split into two main categories: simultaneous
(or conference) interpretation, where the interpreter speaks as he or she is listening, and consecutive
interpretation, where he or she listens to the speaker who then pauses to allow the interpreter to speak.

First of all, a number of contracts for simultaneous interpretation lined up. In my city, there can be long
periods without contracts and they tend to occur in clusters at certain times of the year so, eager as I am
to improve, I take every opportunity to gain experience. This allowed me to work with (or meet) all of the
other interpreters I'd heard of working in the city.

I understand work conditions vary from country to country: in Western Canada, it's customary to work in
pairs where we relay each other (usually for 15-20 minutes), translating both into French and English.
Most local interpreters are French A/English B, with very few English A's.

Having several contracts in a row allowed me to identify some aspects I needed to focus on, such as
maintaining a clear and pleasant tone, getting out of rough spots where I lose focus, hit a blank or
otherwise fail to understand what was said, etc. I try to keep a list of things I want to continue to focus on,
such as ensuring a smoother transition from one phrase to the next -- I don't really have issues finishing
all my sentences (sounds simple enough, but it's really easy to start something and jump to something
else without ending the previous sentence properly; it's also hard to make it look like that didn't happen
when that's exactly what the speaker did), but I noticed I sometimes complete an idea or a phrase, and
pause before I start the next idea and it'd be nice to offer a smoother transition for the listeners. I'd also
like to match the speaker's tone and mood more closely. Something else to look for in the future.

On a more general note, I'm happy to say I've developed a good rapport with all the other interpreters,
which is really important when you are doing stressful work in really small quarters with a colleague.

The second big news is that my work duties as a translator for the government have been expanded to
include interpretation, and I am sometimes called to take on interpretation assignments along with the
interpretation department. This has allowed me to try other types of interpretation apart from
simultaneous interpretation, such as court interpretation and, soon, consecutive interpretation and
chuchotage (when you whisper into a person's ear).

More to come...
5 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 131 of 137
03 November 2013 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
I just came back from the 8th UNESCO Youth Forum in Paris, a conference with 500 young
people from 163 countries. I was there to represent TEJO and to promote language
rights, language diversity and protection of minority languages. Even though the
conference itself was mostly in English and French, I had opportunities to practice
other foreign languages with the other participants as well. Sometimes I'd also listen
to speeches in the Chinese or French interpretation when they got too boring ;-) All
in all, a great opportunity to see UNESCO workings from the inside.

While in Paris, I also finished two more books:

Book 30: "Vado verso il Capo" by Sergio Ramazzotti
A compelling story of traversing Africa from Algeria to the Cape, using only public
transportation.

Book 31: "Astérix chez les pictes"
The new Asterix.

Now I signed up for the 6 Week Challenge with Japanese, but I'm not going to be
studying intensively; I'm working on my Chinese course website instead.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 03 November 2013 at 8:06pm

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 132 of 137
03 November 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu, it is really interesting to hear about the work of interpreters in Western Canada! Where I work (Poland mostly), almost all interpreters are Polish As and work in two-way booths. My language combination is Polish A, German B, English B/C (graduated with English B but wouldn't work into English outside of the Polish market), French C (still working on this one).

I have also had several interpreting contracts in a row recently (which, along with translation assignments, has left little time for new languages), and I try to keep a list of things I want to continue to focus on in my interpretation :). Right now I want to work on a calmer and quieter delivery - my German-language boothmate tends to speak loud, which in turn makes me also speak louder under the pressure, which makes her speak louder etc. - you can only imagine the effects :). I also want to improve my range of vocabulary in the interpretation into German, especially verbs (my choice of verbs in the booth seems to be quite narrow, and even though this might not be a problem as such, I would like to have more flexibility in my lexical choices).

Congratulations on your expanded government contract and good luck with consecutive and chuchotage! I really like consecutive interpretation but I am not a big fan of whispered interpretation. I am wondering what your preferences are.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 133 of 137
03 November 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi Julie!

Julie wrote:
Right now I want to work on a calmer and quieter delivery - my German-language
boothmate tends to speak loud, which in turn makes me also speak louder under the pressure, which
makes her speak louder etc. - you can only imagine the effects :).

I have one colleague who tends to lower his voice after longer periods of work, and this is part of how I
noticed that I used to do the same and my voice would just sound tired after a while, so I've been careful
to avoid this and maintain a steady voice -- strong, clear, but not overpowering. I think I'm doing much
better with this now. On the other hand, I have another colleague who speaks really loudly (to the point of
sometimes hurting my ears when sitting next to her in the booth). I don't know how the listeners manage
to adjust...

Julie wrote:
I really like consecutive interpretation but I am not a big fan of whispered interpretation. I
am wondering what your preferences are.

At this point, most of experience has been simultaneous and it's what I'm most comfortable with at this
point. It's hard to evaluate other types of interpretation. Some of the consecutive work I've done would
appear to be simpler after a few times, and I think these would be less stressful. Large conferences can be
as stressful as they are exciting, but a less stressful assignment now and then can be a nice change :)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 134 of 137
05 November 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
A tip today!

If you have an iDevice, you can get the device to read texts for you, in several languages. This is great is you want to listen to texts being read to you while walking, driving, biking or commuting. Or any other time.

In Settings - Accessibility, activate "Speak selection". Whenever you select any portion of text (in most apps, from what I can see, but I like to use Pocket to store texts), the option "Speak" will appear. When selected, a series of languages will be listed and you can choose the appropriate one. I believe you need to activate the corresponding keyboard for the language to pop up as an option. You can also regulate the speed at which the text is read and it's possible to download a higher quality version of the voices you use.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 135 of 137
02 December 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
I traveled a lot in the past weeks and it hasn't been good for my language studies. Also,
I have somehow lost a lot of my motivation. I decided to make www.learnyu.com
my main priority for the rest of the year.

That being said, I just discovered an interesting way to practise Chinese: watching
Coursera lectures. Specifically, I have signed up for "People and Networks", which is
offered by Peking University, and I'm amazed that I'm understanding most of the content
and I even managed to answer quizzes correctly. :-) Coursera has added some content from
various international universities now and I can recommend these as a way to practise
languages while also learning about a new subject. https://www.coursera.org/
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 136 of 137
01 January 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Well, that was a disappointment. My original goal was to do 700+ hours of language
study this year and read 50 books (30 in languages other than German/English). Instead,
I only managed 643 hours of language study and 32 books (22 in languages other than
German/English).

The only book I was able to finish reading in December is an Italian comedy book called
"Amici Ahrarara". I'm still actively reading a Chinese-German parallel book on Chinese
history, "The Now Habit", "Quiet: The power of introverts" and "La Infiel" (a novel
about a Spanish woman who is drawn into a Muslim terrorist cell). I shall make an
effort not to start so much at once next year.

Anyway, final list of books:

Book 1: "B.A.f.H. - Das Neueste vom Bastard Assistant" by Florian Schiel
Book 2: "Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια..." by Αντώνης Καλογήρου
Book 3: "Io Alessandro" by Steven Pressfield
Book 4: "L'Irak du silence" by Marie de Varney
Book 5: "Ramsès - le temple des millions d'années" by Christian Jacq
Book 6: "Oni ne pafas en Jamburg" by Mikaelo Bronŝtejn
Book 7: "搭车去柏林" by 刘畅
Book 8: "Babel-17" by Samuel R. Delaney
Book 9: "Without Reserve" by Abigail Reynolds
Book 10: "Eine Billion Dollar" by Andreas Eschbach
Book 11: "La ABC de tempoplanado" by Lothar J. Seiwert.
Book 12: "Spanisch für Büffelmuffel"
Book 13: "Le porte di fuoco" by Steven Pressfield
Book 14: La Cultura Aymara
Book 15: La oralidad fingida: descripción y traducción
Book 16: "How to Improve Your Foreign Language IMMEDIATELY" by Boris Shekhtman
Book 17: "Overhearing Film Dialogue" by Sarah Kozloff
Book 18: "Aventuroj de pioniro" by Edmond Privat
Book 19: "Vieni via con me" by Roberto Saviano
Book 20: "Io sono nessuno" by Wainer Molteni
Book 21: "Notti africane" by Kuki Gallmann
Book 22: "Κανάλι 35" by Λίλυ Εξαρχοπούλου
Book 23: "自杀" by Edouard Levé.
Book 24: "Les voisins" by Claude Meunier and Louis Saia.
Book 25: "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert A. Heinlein
Book 26: "Il profeta" by Khalil Gibran
Book 27: "Achieve and Succeed" by Ian D. Major
Book 28: "Motivation" by Dave Ball
Book 29: "Mindful Meditation" by Mitchell Daly
Book 30: "Vado verso il Capo" by Sergio Ramazzotti
Book 31: "Astérix chez les pictes"
Book 32: "Amici Ahrarara" by Fichi d'India

Final language hours:

French: 172h
Chinese: 128h
Greek: 38h
Swahili: 4h (shameful...)
Italian: 67h
Dutch: 22h
Japanese: 35h
Spanish: 58h
Portuguese: 22h
Indonesian: 74h
Others: 23h

I still haven't completely recovered my motivation yet, but I am participating in the
January Tadoku challenge for a start and I have set a general goal of wanting to work a
lot on my conversational ability until the Polyglot Gathering in June. Still figuring
out the best way to translate this goal into something actionable that I will actually
adhere to. Also, aiming for 700+ hours and 50 books again seems reasonable.

My log for the next year is at
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37745

Edited by Sprachprofi on 03 January 2014 at 3:36pm

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version