Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 41 of 137
05 February 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Wow! My partner's on fire!

Sprachprofi wrote:
How are you doing on the active wave, Arekkusu? Is it still doable?

Yes -- I've decided to read the dialogue once before going for the translation. This way, I only make the odd mistake, which then becomes that much easier to remember.

I have to admit that if the intent of the authors was to have you translate the lesson without reading the dialogue first, it's an odd idea: I'm finding words that I don't recall seeing in any of the subsequent lessons (or if they did, it couldn't have been very often), so expecting people to remember every single word or detail that was only presented that one time is counter-productive, to say the least. If at least it was reused in the equivalent more advanced lesson...
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 42 of 137
07 February 2013 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Quick update on Assimil Romanian: lessons 66 / 15.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 43 of 137
07 February 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I have to admit that if the intent of the authors was to have you translate the lesson without reading the dialogue first, it's an odd idea: I'm finding words that I don't recall seeing in any of the subsequent lessons (or if they did, it couldn't have been very often), so expecting people to remember every single word or detail that was only presented that one time is counter-productive, to say the least. If at least it was reused in the equivalent more advanced lesson...

Interestingly, my Assimil French actually recommends reading through and listening to the dialogue one time before doing the translation. What instructions do they give in Assimil Romanian?

Edited by tastyonions on 07 February 2013 at 4:19pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 44 of 137
07 February 2013 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

Interestingly, my Assimil French actually recommends reading through and listening to the dialogue one time before doing the translation. What instructions do they give in Assimil Romanian?

Ah, well that settles the matter!

This is what they say: "à chaque nouvelle leçon, vous reprendrez une des anciennes, dans l'ordre croissant, et vous la traduirez du français en roumain en cachant d'abord le texte roumain et en vérifiant ensuite."

Frankly, "vous reprendrez une des anciennes" could mean either "take the lesson and translate it" or "go over the lesson and then translate it". But I think we can now establish it's the second option. To just translate it cold would be unreasonable.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 45 of 137
07 February 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Read another book!

Book 1: "B.A.f.H. - Das Neueste vom Bastard Assistant" by Florian Schiel
Book 2: "Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια..." by Αντώνης Καλογήρου
Book 3: "Io Alessandro" by Steven Pressfield
Book 4: "L'Irak du silence" by Marie de Varney

This is a non-fictional book about the state of Iraq before and after the first gulf war.
I learned a lot of interesting facts, for example that prior to the gulf war, Saddam's
Ba'ath party was the closest to Western ideals when it comes to modernization, reducing
the role of religion and improving the situation of women.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 46 of 137
09 February 2013 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Assimil Roumain: lesson 70 / 17

I wrote a short text in Romanian on lang-8. I didn't know whether there'd be any Romanians there to correct
my text, but someone did after about 12 hours. There weren't many mistakes! Then again, I was really
careful. I could certainly feel the limitations (picking the right verb, the proper plural, personal direct object
structure, etc.).

German: Working on an article found on Geo.de.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 47 of 137
12 February 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Sunday: French/German/Esperanto Skype discussion with tandem partner. Some German reading.

Monday:
-German: read Illuminati;
-Romanian: now at lessons 72/22;
-Esperanto: correspondence;
-Japanese: some Facebook chat.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 48 of 137
12 February 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Since the last update, I did some more Dutch for work, I started reading a French
novel, watched a couple episodes of my Chinese TV series, and basically just kept going
through Duolingo in three languages at once, trying to do mirror lessons for Italian,
Spanish and Portuguese. Also, I watched "The Lion King" in Portuguese. There were a lot
of things I didn't understand, but towards the end my comprehension was much better
than at the beginning. I'm guessing I'm getting used to non-computer voices and
intonation.

Today, I had my first Portuguese conversation. It was very short - I ran into 3
Portuguese students on the subway while on my way to the Berlinale film festival and we
talked for the few minutes it took to reach their stop. At the Berlinale, I watched one
movie in Chinese (玉门, Yumen) and one in Québécois (Le Météore). The directors were
present for both - these were premieres - and after the showing there was some Q&A.

The Chinese movie was about a ghost town and contained mostly imagery, comparatively
little speaking. I was amazed to recognize a poem that was recited though, about 玉门关.
I believe I had heard it in the TV series "Romance of the Three Kingdoms".

出塞 (王之渙)

黃河遠上白雲間,
一片孤城萬仞山。
羌笛何須怨楊柳,
春風不度玉門關。

"Le Météore" was almost all speaking, set to some stunning pictures. It's about how
living in prison affects you or the people you know or even the prison guards. It
switches between monologs by different affected people (all fictional), there are no
action scenes, though a bit of time lapse happens over the movie, which you learn from
those accounts. The camera only ever shows one person or animal or one focus, never two
or a crowd. There are a lot of pictures that are so beautiful that you could print them
and put them in a gallery. They contrast starkly with the monologs, which are matter-
of-fact, not very emotional, but still depressing when you think about what they mean.
The movie could easily pass as an argument against the inhumanity and arbitrariness of
a modern prison. However, during the Q&A the director revealed it's also about "the
prison in our minds"... which forced me to re-evaluate everything I've seen and I'm not
done with that. From reading the description, I had expected a movie that would make
the chest constrict and leave me angoissée, but in fact it just left me pensive. I can recommend it to anyone; I'll watch it again if I get the chance.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 12 February 2013 at 11:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version